2014-2015 TV deals?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
So every once in a while the wife looks at the cable bill and sees an add for the introductory rate for Dish Network or Direct TV and says we should look @ switching. Then I go and look at packages compared to the football and basketball schedule and see that I might miss games, and it's not that much cheaper, and we stay....well, it's that time again...So I'm seeing ESPNU on the basketball schedule from last year, and Fox Sports Net on the football schedule, but I also seem to recall people saying that the TV deals were changing and everything should be on the main sports stations(ESPN, ESPN2, Fox sports 1), but I don't recall if that was just BB, just FB, or both.

Anyone know what we can expect for TV coverage in the upcoming year?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So every once in a while the wife looks at the cable bill and sees an add for the introductory rate for Dish Network or Direct TV and says we should look @ switching. Then I go and look at packages compared to the football and basketball schedule and see that I might miss games, and it's not that much cheaper, and we stay....well, it's that time again...So I'm seeing ESPNU on the basketball schedule from last year, and Fox Sports Net on the football schedule, but I also seem to recall people saying that the TV deals were changing and everything should be on the main sports stations(ESPN, ESPN2, Fox sports 1), but I don't recall if that was just BB, just FB, or both.

Anyone know what we can expect for TV coverage in the upcoming year?

Every game will be on TV football wise. Basketball we should get a hell of a lot more regular ESPN

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I like my Directv channels and dvr. But it ticks me off when they just randomly raise your rate all the time.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Specifically, will we likely still have basketball games on ESPNU and football games on Fox sports midwest? I think with dish, you can get ESPNU, but you gotta bump up a few packages, but with FS midwest and FS North, you have to buy the top of the line package.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Specifically, will we likely still have basketball games on ESPNU and football games on Fox sports midwest?

Yes.

All Big 12 MBB conference games will be on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or ESPNews.

For football, last year Fox did 39 games, spread out this way:
FOX - 10
FS1 - 22
FSN - 7

The 7 FSN games were Buffalo/Baylor, SFA/Texas Tech, Kansas/TCU, OSU/ISU, TCU/ISU, WVU/KU, and TCU/KSU.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
You won't get cyclones.tv on either one, but you can easily subscribe to internet package and get chrome cast to cast to your TV. Also Dish has PAC 12, SEC and Longhorn Net. ISU could be on one of those for road games. They will also have ESPN goal line and buzzer beater. DirecTV doesn't have those, but may get them in the future.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
You won't get cyclones.tv on either one, but you can easily subscribe to internet package and get chrome cast to cast to your TV. Also Dish has PAC 12, SEC and Longhorn Net. ISU could be on one of those for road games. They will also have ESPN goal line and buzzer beater. DirecTV doesn't have those, but may get them in the future.

Yeah, I'm not on mediacom, so I'm already a cyclones.tv subscriber and I do have a chromecast....I just hate to run into not getting a game...right now, I'd only miss out if it was on LHN.

St8Fan

Oct 30, 2006
West Des Moines
Yeah, I'm not on mediacom, so I'm already a cyclones.tv subscriber and I do have a chromecast....I just hate to run into not getting a game...right now, I'd only miss out if it was on LHN.

I just made the move from Mediacom to DirectTV...My experience has been great so far, granted its out of season. I do miss Cyclones.TV on Mediacom, but I still can see the programs on demand and just haven't gotten the Chromecast set up yet. .

I was having the same feelings as your wife...I didn't have the top Sports package(no ESPNU) at Mediacom or any movie channels, but my bill for cable and internet was over $150/month. I can remember paying $19.99/month. When I called Mediacom, I got the your an existing customer and you have the best deal possible.

The first year on DirectTV I'm literally saving over $700 and getting the NFL ticket and the ultimate Sports package...the kicker, the second year will still be less than Mediacom. I didn't have DVR with Mediacom either and now I do with DirectTV and can watch recorded programming on 4 different TV's.

I do notice a little lag with the CenturyLink High Speed internet, but its far from irritating. But you can keep Mediacom and still save a ton of money.

I've drug my feet for several years for exactly the same reasons as you...So far I love the package and wish I'd done it last year when ESPNU became such a player.