The X-Pod: Featuring Anthony Johnson

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
X's debut interview. He's going to be so good at this. Enjoy the pod.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That was nicely done and people should give it a listen. Having someone on the team host (as opposed to a journalist) lends itself to a more conversational style. It felt more like you were eavesdropping on two friends and teammates talking than the usual Q&A interview.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Even though I know it has to be this way, this is how NIL sucks. We aren’t going to get near as many 4-5 year players who you’ll get to know as fans.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Excellent first podcast out of the gate for X. This format is awesome...just two dudes talking. Just something about listening to teammates sit around and shoot the breeze as opposed to the more journalistic approach

AvengerOne

Jun 13, 2020
X is a terrific host....natural, relaxed, and thoughtful with his question.

Anthony was awesome guest. His character and drive are exceptional.

We are blessed to have these two great young men leading Cyclone football into next season!

Many thanks to CW and Cyclone for adding the X pod. It's gonna be special.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Great podcast I appreciate how it isn't 100% football, just getting to know the guest.

Maybe it's on my end, but I feel like he's a little more muffled than the other CF Podcasts. I'm assuming he doesn't have as good of a microphone?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Great podcast I appreciate how it isn't 100% football, just getting to know the guest.

Maybe it's on my end, but I feel like he's a little more muffled than the other CF Podcasts. I'm assuming he doesn't have as good of a microphone?

He does ... the problem was that Anthony didn't have a computer to use and they had to use the same mic. This should not be a problem on the majority of pods going forward. We did the best we could with the situation.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
X is a terrific host....natural, relaxed, and thoughtful with his question.

Anthony was awesome guest. His character and drive are exceptional.

We are blessed to have these two great young men leading Cyclone football into next season!

Many thanks to CW and Cyclone for adding the X pod. It's gonna be special.
Welcome new first poster!

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I've been to St Pete and know it has some rougher areas, but I had no idea Anthony grew up in that tough of environment. It's great to see him be successful on and off the field.

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
Great job with this! I follow Notre Dame pretty closely as well, and this reminds a lot of what Kyle Hamilton did last year with his podcast, Inside the Garage. This is such an amazing chance for the guys to get their voices out there and start to work on building a brand.

Reactions: t-noah

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
A+ product for episode 1. Conversations are great and natural.

I hope we get a good mix of X's and O's along with non-football related talk.

My favorite part of the podcast was when Ant recalled calling our X for an extremely subtle movement that gave away the route he was running in practice. Inside stuff like that is this football nerd's candy

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Wow. X does not disappoint. I could listen to this kinda stuff nonstop. Do the whole team. Interview the coaches. Interview the staff. The field crew. X could probably interview the concessions staff and make it interesting.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Also: anyone who listens to this will feel a lot better about the secondary going into this season.

I don't doubt the potential for Tampa, Purchase, and Kyle. I just need to see it...

I thought it was interesting that both guys mentioned the field safety (Kymani King and Eisworth last year) getting picked on a lot in last years defense. Having AJ there is going to be a HUGE benefit for the defense. They mentioned you can scheme around a good corner like AJ a lot easier than you can scheme around good safety play.

Depth is my largest concern with our defensive backfield.. Especially at corner

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Even though I know it has to be this way, this is how NIL sucks. We aren’t going to get near as many 4-5 year players who you’ll get to know as fans.
Well yeah, true. NIL is changing things drastically. We can certainly enjoy getting to know and follow these two right here, right now, though.

I think that is what you were trying to say, right?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
A+ product for episode 1. Conversations are great and natural.

I hope we get a good mix of X's and O's along with non-football related talk.

My favorite part of the podcast was when Ant recalled calling our X for an extremely subtle movement that gave away the route he was running in practice. Inside stuff like that is this football nerd's candy
Yes.

What I really take from this is when you have guys like Xavier Hutchinson and Anthony Johnson as leaders in your program, it really is player led leadership. It's not hyperbole when you hear these guys talk. It raises the level of all players in the program.

I love how we continue to see how it is handed down: at the start with guys like Joel Lanning and Ray Lima, then comes from Mike Rose/ Brock and Breece, and now rests with the new leaders. The program is in great hands. This type of stuff (culture) to me raises our level amidst the nil madness era we are in, and makes us still competitive.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Outstanding podcast by X! I learned a lot about Anthony Johnson and have even more respect for that amazing young man. Both of those guys are perfect examples of Iowa State's amazing culture!

Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron