Car Tires

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Younger daughter has a 2009 Jeep Liberty, 106k miles, in decent shape, except for the tires. It's strictly an in-town car, she takes wifey's car or mine anytime she'll be driving 65+ on a highway/interstate. We're going to have this car one more year until she goes to college. Quote for new tires is $800+. That's a lot of cheddar and free new tire mileage to be giving away on a car that we'll have for probably <3,000 miles. Guy I work with suggested buying used tires, I didn't even know that was a thing. What would you do?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
If you plan on selling it then I'd look into used tires. Maybe look somewhere else for another quote and try and find cheaper?

Reactions: VeloClone and Gonzo

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Younger daughter has a 2009 Jeep Liberty, 106k miles, in decent shape, except for the tires. It's strictly an in-town car, she takes wifey's car or mine anytime she'll be driving 65+ on a highway/interstate. We're going to have this car one more year until she goes to college. Quote for new tires is $800+. That's a lot of cheddar and free new tire mileage to be giving away on a car that we'll have for probably <3,000 miles. Guy I work with suggested buying used tires, I didn't even know that was a thing. What would you do?

Buy used, check with local mechanics, junk yards, etc. There are some decent used tires out there for cheap if you look.

Reactions: Gonzo

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I second the used tires, or just put on the absolute cheapest new tires you can find. The tires are the only part of the car that touches the road. Stopping, handling all depend on the tires ability to grip the road. Assuming it's a tread depth issue, the biggest risk is when the roads are wet. Low tread means they can't clear water fast enough, so they are more likely to hydroplane. Of course you could just not drive it in the rain, and during the summer that's easier to do, but in the midwest you never know when a thunderstorm will pop up. But if you're keeping it for another winter, even Jeep 4x4 won't help if the tires are bad.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Look on Facebook marketplace, etc, too. Not sure on wheel sizes for Jeep Liberty, but maybe get lucky on takeoffs.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Look on Facebook marketplace, etc, too. Not sure on wheel sizes for Jeep Liberty, but maybe get lucky on takeoffs.
Thanks. Yeah that's part of the problem, the size puts these at basically truck tires that are more expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Yes, for what you are using it for, used tires are a good option, check around, many local shops have take offs that they keep around for just this reason. Also check other shops for quotes, I cant say there will be cheaper options these days but it seams like you should be able to find some a little cheaper.

My best tip, when getting quotes on tires, make sure you get the quote for on the car. A lot of shops will quote you a price, then come back with the final bill and add mounting, balancing, stems, tire disposal and anything else they can to the bill. Make sure the quote includes all of that, so you are not surprised thinking you are getting a better deal only to find out you are paying more by the time you get out the door.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Have you tried Discount Tire? Not sure if you have one nearby but I did a quick punch-in using the 18" tires seems like you can get closer to $740-$750 after-tax

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I thought hawk fans used square ones since their cheaper.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Since it’s only for a year anyways, some Walmarts will install tires for $17. I see some Jeep Liberty tires for $75 each (new), depending on what sizes you need. Thats close to $350-$400 after taxes and stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Candide and Gonzo

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Thanks. Yeah that's part of the problem, the size puts these at basically truck tires that are more expensive.
If they fit you can get new tires from Wranglers around here for $400 roughly.

• Informative

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I've bought a set for the current beater off of https://simpletire.com and they had the option of local install available less then $500 bucks.
Seeing as it's a Jeep a off brand I suggest to look at is Atturo, available at Walmart, put new tires on my Trooper for $440.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Guys you cant quote him tire prices because that is what you got for a price for your car. Tire prices vary wildly depending on size and type. Just because a 235 50R 17 cost $75 and fit your car doesnt mean the same tire is going to fit a SUV rolling on 16s, needing a complete different rating of tire.

I mean, if he gives us the tire size for the 2009 jeep liberty, and you want to look up tires specifically for that vehicle then great, but just because you found cheaper tires than what he quoted for your personal vehicle really means nothing. Looking up a 2009 Jeep Liberty specifically there are at least 4 different tire sizes for that particular model depending on the trim level and whether it is 4x4 or 4x2. All drastically different, sizes and prices. Let alone comparing to other vehicle tires that might be out there.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Guys you cant quote him tire prices because that is what you got for a price for your car. Tire prices vary wildly depending on size and type. Just because a 235 50R 17 cost $75 and fit your car doesnt mean the same tire is going to fit a SUV rolling on 16s, needing a complete different rating of tire.

I mean, if he gives us the tire size for the 2009 jeep liberty, and you want to look up tires specifically for that vehicle then great, but just because you found cheaper tires than what he quoted for your personal vehicle really means nothing. Looking up a 2009 Jeep Liberty specifically there are at least 4 different tire sizes for that particular model depending on the trim level and whether it is 4x4 or 4x2. All drastically different, sizes and prices. Let alone comparing to other vehicle tires that might be out there.
P225/75R16

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron