2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
That angle looks worse for UConn than the broadcast angles, but it’s still a weird call with 4 seconds.
If it is a foul, it does not matter how much time is on the clock. “You don’t call it in that situation” is the stupidest argument in sports. It’s only made because the fans didn’t get to see the ending they wanted to see. She set an illegal screen by sticking her leg out. It should be called, especially in crucial moments if she committed a foul.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
UConn had multiple chances to win this game in the final minute.

While I agree the moving screen foul should not called (back to the “let the players decide games”) - let’s not forget that UConn had a lucky moment when Clark missed one of her free throws with just over three seconds left and UConn did not box out and get the rebound.

If they had got that rebound off a missed free throw they could’ve called a timeout and advanced to the front court, and been trailing by two points at that point. They would have had plenty of time for the final shot of the game.

Credit to Iowa for getting that offensive rebound on the missed Clark free throw and sealing the victory.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
If it is a foul, it does not matter how much time is on the clock. “You don’t call it in that situation” is the stupidest argument in sports. It’s only made because the fans didn’t get to see the ending they wanted to see. She set an illegal screen by sticking her leg out. It should be called, especially in crucial moments if she committed a foul.
Then call it all game. They didn’t and it was the same screen UConn and Iowa had been setting all game. The double screen to get Clark her first three had the exact same thing. We are just asking for consistency and if you have swallowed the whistle all night for the most part you certainly swallow it there. But it’s your opinion and nobody is changing it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Agree.

I’m commenting on reality as it is, not how I wish it were.

That screen is usually not called and almost never called to end a game. Not saying I love that, that’s how it is though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Foul. Has to be called. View attachment 127052
You must really hate big 12 mens officials then because we get A LOT of calls where we aren’t set in our favor.

WBB officials are just bad. How many times are people left scratching their heads on phantom fouls, balls going off players and given to the wrong team, players pushed to the floor with no call; the women’s officials are truly BAD. It’s not just a couple like the men’s. There are several every quarter that leave you confused.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Then call it all game. They didn’t and it was the same screen UConn and Iowa had been setting all game. The double screen to get Clark her first three had the exact same thing. We are just asking for consistency and if you have swallowed the whistle all night or the most part you certainly swallow it there. But it’s your opinion and nobody is changing it.
I didn’t watch the game. I watched the replay from several different angels. I attend over 100 basketball games a year. I see that called a foul constantly. I can’t speak to how it was called earlier in the game. But it was a foul.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Then call it all game. They didn’t and it was the same screen UConn and Iowa had been setting all game. The double screen to get Clark her first three had the exact same thing. We are just asking for consistency and if you have swallowed the whistle all night or the most part you certainly swallow it there. But it’s your opinion and nobody is changing it.

Lol no.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Agree. If both teams are allowed to do this all game, then how can you call it to decide the game? You can’t.

And EVERYONE knows the entire country wanted Iowa to win, so they made sure that’s what happened. It is what it is. UConn wasn’t given a chance.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I didn’t watch the game. I watched the replay from several different angels. I attend over 100 basketball games a year. I see that called a foul constantly. I can’t speak to how it was called earlier in the game. But it was a foul.
Great we all watch basketball man, so nobody cares you’ve watched 100. I can’t stand that just as much as you can’t stand others saying “You can’t call a foul at the end.”

But regardless, yes a foul is a foul. However, officiating 101 is you call the game the same way as best you can throughout the game so players and coaches know what to expect. It’s why games are so wildly different based on the crew. And that’s fine as some call it tighter than others. But the problem is when you deviate from what you have been calling throughout the game. That’s why it wasn’t a foul. Letter of the law? Perhaps yeah. But then they should have been calling it all game for both teams and they just didn’t do that.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

That explains it…. you didn’t even watch the game. Good night then. You have no business commenting on it then. If you’re allowed to do it all game, what do you think a player should expect then?

Reactions: WartburgClone

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Great we all watch baseball man, so nobody cares you’ve watched 100. I can’t stand that just as much as you can’t stand others saying “You can’t call a foul at the end.”

But regardless, yes a foul is a foul. However, officiating 101 is you call the game the same way as best you can throughout the game so players and coaches know what to expect. It’s why games are so wildly different based on the crew. And that’s fine as some call it tighter than others. But the problem is when you deviate from what you have been calling throughout the game. That’s why it wasn’t a foul. Letter of the law? Perhaps yeah. But then they should have been calling it all game for both teams and they just didn’t do that.
What does baseball have to do with it?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You must really hate big 12 mens officials then because we get A LOT of calls where we aren’t set in our favor.

WBB officials are just bad. How many times are people left scratching their heads on phantom fouls, balls going off players and given to the wrong team, players pushed to the floor with no call; the women’s officials are truly BAD. It’s not just a couple like the men’s. There are several every quarter that leave you confused.

There was one of the worst phantom fouls I’ve seen this year on UConn in the first quarter.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

There's your problem. The fact of the matter is, you can pull the "actually it was a foul", but within each game what really is a foul is set during the course of a game. By rule we could call about 80 fouls a game and everyone would be dragging their walkons in to end the games. But that'd be a horrible entertainment product.

When a standard has been set for what's called during the game, there are effectively a new set of rules on the floor that varies from the strict definition in the rulebook. To make a call like that when the de facto rules have been different the first 39 minutes, is a bad call.