Illinois matchup

illinifan2023

Mar 23, 2024
You are going to be in for a rude awakening shortly after tip-off. Your team hasn’t seen anything remotely close to the ISU defense. Your offense is going to struggle all game long.
Respectfully, you haven’t seen a player like TSJ. He’s the best 3 level scorer in the country and has a first step like I’ve never seen before. When it comes to your double teams, not many teams play the 5-out iso NBA style like Illinois does.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Respectfully, you haven’t seen a player like TSJ. He’s the best 3 level scorer in the country and has a first step like I’ve never seen before. When it comes to your double teams, not many teams play the 5-out iso NBA style like Illinois does.
So you are saying he might assault our defense?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
We used to. Should have beat Purdue with it if our coach wasn't a glorified Sunday school teacher that waited 30 mins to start doing it. (Sorry steve)

Edit: he is a challenge, for sure. Oddly enough we have a few guys stashed on the bench that don't play much that are uniquely physically qualified to match up with Shannon 1 on 1.

I think it's a break glass emergency situation, but we have a freaking McDonald's All-American (on athleticism alone) that wouldn't even be our first choice in this nightmare scenario. DeMarion Watson would be.

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
that is brutal, and if we win, I think that actually hurts our recovery for the next game. Guys won't get in until 1 am. Plus, they probably won't sleep much Friday night if they play UConn on Saturday, they will be to amped up to sleep, I know I will be. :)
They should probably activate me for this game. I was pretty good at those drunken 1 am broomball games.

Mar 26, 2024
I personally like to see Houston lose. The reasons go back to the coach when he was at Oklahoma and especially at Indiana. I know too much about his recruiting ways to every be able to root for him...ever.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Respectfully, Illinois hasn't faced a defense anywhere near the caliber of ISU's defense. It's more than just double teaming/trapping. It's a very physical brand that wears down opponents. It should be a fun game. I can't wait!

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

illinifan2023

Mar 23, 2024
So you are saying he might assault our defense?

And so it begins lol
I honestly think he’s playing lights out because of fans like this in the stands. He knows he’s on the biggest stage and that’s what everyone talks about when they hear his name because of the false allegations. He’s shutting everyone up but keep it coming .
Respectfully, Illinois hasn't faced a defense anywhere near the caliber of ISU's defense. It's more than just double teaming/trapping. It's a very physical brand that wears down opponents. It should be a fun game. I can't wait!
Looking forward to it. #1 vs #1.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I’m not underestimating size at all. I loved Kihei Clark’s game at UVA and watched most of his games. Lipsey obviously isn’t THAT short, but he is undersized compared to Domask. You’re going to need to send a double plain and simple. I don’t care how good of a defender he is. Your ability to defend is negated when your opponent is a half foot taller and 25 pounds heavier.
I didn't say you were underestimating his size, I said you were underestimating how good of defensive player he is.

And there's no way Domask has 25 pounds on Tamin - they are listed at 215 and 200, but I'd be willing to bet its closer than that. Tamin is strong and solid, no one pushes him around (unless he's flopping, lol).

There's no doubt that we will double Domask if he gets to certain positions on the floor - that's the whole defensive scheme. My point was that Domask won't bully Tamin down the lane. Tamin will force him to where he wants him to go, swipe the ball or get a charge. Watch for it - all three will happen at some point.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Not getting out of position is the most critical part of a top defense controlling a top offense.

To me, it's all going to come down to how quickly on defense we adjust to coming off a double team and guarding whoever the pass goes to. If they're hot from 3 and we're double teaming Shannon and not reacting quickly enough when he passes off, it could be a big deal. Likewise, if they use it to get a bunch of backdoor cuts to the hoop, it could be a big deal.

So essentially - can our defense not just be locked in on Shannon, but also peel off him and follow the ball?

They're going to try hard to stretch our average defensive pts per game, so the flip side is we need to do anything possible to keep Milan from regressing back into his funk (last game was a bit up and down again). We should be able to score, but their defense can play fairly decent when they're dialed in, which I expect them to be. Shooting 30% again in a half like against WSU would put a ton of pressure on our defense.

BYU was our kryptonite because we couldn't adjust quick enough to their long passes out of double teams and were using it to rain threes.

illinifan2023

Mar 23, 2024
I didn't say you were underestimating his size, I said you were underestimating how good of defensive player he is.

And there's no way Domask has 25 pounds on Tamin - they are listed at 215 and 200, but I'd be willing to bet its closer than that. Tamin is strong and solid, no one pushes him around (unless he's flopping, lol).

There's no doubt that we will double Domask if he gets to certain positions on the floor - that's the whole defensive scheme. My point was that Domask won't bully Tamin down the lane. Tamin will force him to where he wants him to go, swipe the ball or get a charge. Watch for it - all three will happen at some point.
The fun part about this game is that this isn’t even the marquee matchup. King will be guarding TSJ I assume? How do y’all feel about that?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
I honestly think he’s playing lights out because of fans like this in the stands. He knows he’s on the biggest stage and that’s what everyone talks about when they hear his name because of the false allegations. He’s shutting everyone up but keep it coming .

All I said was so it begins. Don't lump me into this lol. We're like 34 pages in and nobody has even said anything. CF has actually shown historical levels of restraint on the subject, I assure you.

I, for one, would prefer to keep it that way. Our play will get under your skin plenty well enough by itself, and I look forward to that and that alone.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

JFC - he hasn't had a preliminary hearing and you know that these are false allegations? Because his lawyers and he said he's innocent, like 99% of people accused of sexual assault?

Only two people know what happened. The rest of us don't, so maybe let's let the legal process play out.

Now, the odds say that people that get charged with sexual assault, more likely committed sexual assault than didn't, but none of us really know. So probably best when a preliminary hearing hasn't occurred yet not to go all in on the "false accusation" stance, nor to chanting crap at him during games.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
The fun part about this game is that this isn’t even the marquee matchup. King will be guarding TSJ I assume? How do y’all feel about that?
No, id bet Keshon Gilbert will initially. Possibly Tamin. If I know TJ, he's thinking the very same thing doing his curls as we speak.

EDIT: But yeah, like @Big_Sill said, it will be very much a team thing, ISO ball or not. We don't change what we do under any circumstance. Now you make think that makes it impossible to guard Illinois, but I disagree and our staff probably wants BU and his staff to think that way. If BU is half as good of a coach as I think he is, he's probably expecting to have to have a plan B ready to go, too.

Last edited:

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Our whole team will be guarding TSJ, are whole team will be guarding Domask. We play team defense, but also have elite individual defenders.

For the record .. I have no clue who is going to win, and am surprised by anyone who is overly confident either way.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Not getting out of position is the most critical part of a top defense controlling a top offense.

To me, it's all going to come down to how quickly on defense we adjust to coming off a double team and guarding whoever the pass goes to. If they're hot from 3 and we're double teaming Shannon and not reacting quickly enough when he passes off, it could be a big deal. Likewise, if they use it to get a bunch of backdoor cuts to the hoop, it could be a big deal.

So essentially - can our defense not just be locked in on Shannon, but also peel off him and follow the ball?
I agree with this - I think our best bet is to force Shannon to be a passer - he's 4th on their team in terms of assist rate. It will be more difficult when they have 5 shooters on the floor together, but if Rodgers or Dainja is out there then we need to collapse to the lane and make Shannon pick the right pass. If we're on our game, we'll pick off as many of those as he gets to an open player. Of course that's easier said than done.
BYU was our kryptonite because we couldn't adjust quick enough to their long passes out of double teams and were using it to rain threes.
Actually, I think we could have lived with the 3s, they didn't make THAT many it was the constant parade of layups from back door cuts that killed us in that game. I feel like we overcompensated for their shooting - we did much better in Ames, of course. As I mentioned up thread a ways, Hawkins has a similar skill set to Khalifa from BYU, if they run a small line-up (no Rodgers or Dainja, neither of whom have attempted a 3) they can run a "5-out" set with Hawkins at the top, and try to get ISOs for Shannon out of that. If Hawkins pulls BRE/Ward from the lane, it will be much harder to help with Shannon's drives too.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022

Oh boy. I am sorry if I spoke out of turn regarding the "false" allegations.

Now, in response to your earlier statement about ISU not having seen a player like TSJ before-thats incorrect. They have seen a player like him before, in fact, they have seen HIM several times because his career started at TTU. In case you were curious on his stats, I will list them here for your viewing pleasure.

2019-11 pts
2020-7 pts
2021-11 pts
2021-12 pts
2022-4 pts
2022 conference tourney-15

Now, for reference, we dont have to count anything before 2021 if you dont want too, because that was before the current coach was here, and iowa state only won like 2 games in 2020, so the collective 18 points he put up on that really bad ISU team probably doesnt matter. However, again for conversations sake, in 6 career games against ISU, he's had 16 turnovers. 60 total points and 16 turnovers. I am not smart with math, so hopefully you can help me figure out that ratio.

I have no idea who wins this game, but the notion that TSJ is going to just go off tomorrow night and be this absolute hero i believe to be the real falsity in this conversation

Reactions: rosshm16 and GTO