Dwayne Pierce commits, third top 100 prospect in the 2024 class

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Obviously Otz is a great recruiter but I wonder if any of our success is also due in a small way to the "blue bloods" now putting more effort recruiting proven college players with nil now.

Let ISU develop players then steal them away...

Reactions: BurgundyClone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Go to the Facebook page for ISU mens basketball page and click on profile pic to show the Facebook stories.
Perhaps I don’t know the rules, but it was my understanding coaches can’t speak publicly about an athlete until said athlete has signed. I don’t think that extends to social media accounts.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Obviously Otz is a great recruiter but I wonder if any of our success is also due in a small way to the "blue bloods" now putting more effort recruiting proven college players with nil now.

Let ISU develop players then steal them away...
Interesting question. The landscape is obviously shifting with NIL and transfer portal wide open. Will be interesting to watch this play out.

On one hand, it could be an advantage for those teams that recruit a good mix of 4 star guys and diamond-in-the-rough 3 stars that aren’t one-and-done so will stay with the program a few years. Meanwhile, everyone else is trying to reload every year and suffer from lack of continuity and chemistry issues. Of all sports, I think basketball is the one where chemistry and the right combination of players - even if not the most talented individually - can be successful.

On the other hand, the money teams are going to throw around - not just to freshman but to anyone who has proven they may fill a need - is a big wild card. If you’re an NIL collective, why not wait to see who pans our freshman/sophomore season?

You risk blowing a ton of money on an Emoni Bates type. Conversely, someone like Lipsey - who wasn’t the profile going to get a big NIL package out of HS - could draw the attention of someone who knows all they need to take their squad to the next level is a really solid distributor who takes care of the ball and plays defense.

NCAA is starting to feel like pro sports but without the concept of a contract.

This is ultimately going to come down to relationships and commitment. You’re basically going from getting a guy to commit once to getting them to commit 4 times. Coach’s ability to identify guys that are most likely to fit and to stick with the team is going to be critical.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Very interesting thoughts -and I guess if we have to recruit players 4x, nobody better than Otz right now to trust to seal the deal.
If he can string together a few years of top 10-20 teams and recruiting classes and put a few kids in the league we’ll continue to be a good destination for transfers when we need them too.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Interesting question. The landscape is obviously shifting with NIL and transfer portal wide open. Will be interesting to watch this play out.

On one hand, it could be an advantage for those teams that recruit a good mix of 4 star guys and diamond-in-the-rough 3 stars that aren’t one-and-done so will stay with the program a few years. Meanwhile, everyone else is trying to reload every year and suffer from lack of continuity and chemistry issues. Of all sports, I think basketball is the one where chemistry and the right combination of players - even if not the most talented individually - can be successful.

On the other hand, the money teams are going to throw around - not just to freshman but to anyone who has proven they may fill a need - is a big wild card. If you’re an NIL collective, why not wait to see who pans our freshman/sophomore season?

This is ultimately going to come down to relationships and commitment. You’re basically going from getting a guy to commit once to getting them to commit 4 times. Coach’s ability to identify guys that are most likely to fit and to stick with the team is going to be critical.

NIL fueled teams run the risk of a player they identify and want simply liking where they are at and not chasing the dollars too. Hopefully, that is where ISU and TJ can shine through. Get the players that buy in to the ISU team concept and thus it would take a VERY attractive offer to bolt, not just a Fistful of Dollars.

Reactions: NWICY

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Watched a good chunk of the game - TJ should go after his teammate #13. The 6'9" Asian kid - he would rip down a rebound and take it the length of the court and finish. Then he spotted up for a 3 a few times. The kid has a great looking shot - good ball handler at that size.
247 has him ranked 87th in the 24 class. Ahead of Pierce. Offers include Illinois, Michigan, Oregon, and others.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron