Random Thoughts 17: Here we go again.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was having problems starting my single stage Toro for a couple of years. The first start of the year would take about half an hour. After that it was about a 5 minute process. I felt so dumb when I noticed that the primer bulb was split all along the bottom so it was doing nothing. About $2-3 for the part and about 5 minutes of cursing getting the thing on and I was back up and running. Starts like a champ now.

My electric start worked for about 5-7 years and then is started sounding like a grinder wheel so I just stopped using it. The pull start is fine for me. I never checked into what it would take to get the starter working properly again. It is of limited usefulness anyway since it is powered by plugging a short cord into a wall outlet
My snapper was a one pull. The bigger motor made a big difference. I have to run an extension cord to mine but don't mind since it allows it to fire right away.

What you described is the starter being worn or it moving away from the fly wheel a bit. What mine does now. I need to replace this one (think its the second one) since it doesn't seem to be working right. Last time it was about 90 bucks for a new starter, guessing it has doubled since then.

EDIT: Just checked online and for 70 I can get a new one. Parts getting cheaper is not common.

Reactions: VeloClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
In the old check printing plant, that's how you found out you weren't getting the new role or promotion. When managers leaked your name out, that was the first hint. It was interesting. When someone would come up to me and say they'd heard about me and that spot, I smiled outwardly while inside I knew it was done and tried to figure out what happened.
It always mildly frustrated me when people would start approaching me that I was interviewing for such and such role when I had told almost no one.
Wanted to "dislike" due to the contents of this post. Also wanted to "win" it due to correct use of "role". I get so tired of people posting something about the "roll" a player is handling. We aren't a bake shop...
So now I get a meeting tomorrow to explain to someone new why I am doing what I am doing and why I should do what they think I should do.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
When I bought my snowblower, I asked a buddy who works on small engines and I knew he’d have the info. He told me Poulan and Toro were the most reliable. I bought the Poulan and have not regretted it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When I bought my snowblower, I asked a buddy who works on small engines and I knew he’d have the info. He told me Poulan and Toro were the most reliable. I bought the Poulan and have not regretted it.
I believe toro bought snapper and basically consumed their name.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
So now I get a meeting tomorrow to explain to someone new why I am doing what I am doing and why I should do what they think I should do.
So at the beginning of the year I got a promotion. Not huge, but nothing to sneeze at either. This past Monday, as I'm closing up my computer around 4:15p, I get a Skype asking if I can show the imtern that's starting this Tuesday the ropes on the basic stuff our team does
Told husband I guess this is my role now...taking care of last minute type stuff.

Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a 1027. Had a snapper before, like a 624, but that didn't throw the snow far enough and in heavy snows like this, I was blowing it twice and in big years, I had some pretty tall banks right along the driveway. My Ariens will clear the house if I'm on the south side of the drive, so that's putting it about 60 foot. Comes in handy when you get lots of snow.
I have had a Deluxe 28 Ariens for over a decade. Thing is a tank. I feel like it could chip wood.

Reactions: BCClone

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
So at the beginning of the year I got a promotion. Not huge, but nothing to sneeze at either. This past Monday, as I'm closing up my computer around 4:15p, I get a Skype asking if I can show the imtern that's starting this Tuesday the ropes on the basic stuff our team does
Told husband I guess this is my role now...taking care of last minute type stuff.
Hope it’s worth it ;) Congrats, by the way.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
If hospital's can bill seemingly made up amounts/ charges for my wife's delivery; surely they'll understand when I send them a bill for the doctor/nursing students who were standing in the room during her labor, right?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
When we decommissioned the Anheuser Busch system it was done in small increments.
I would get emails like "Oh by the way, we shut down these databases and they shouldn't be part of their maintenance cycle anymore" Then I'd have to drop everything to figure out how to make things work without this part of the maintenance window. Of course the maintenance window started at 1am on Sundays

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
It always mildly frustrated me when people would start approaching me that I was interviewing for such and such role when I had told almost no one.

I've learned that HR people that talk a lot aren't very good about keeping their mouths shut about confidential information.

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: BCClone and NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.