Bill walton

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I actually enjoyed Walton’s call of the game. He didn’t go off on too many tangents, and stayed mostly on topic. And during an otherwise terrible game, he did provide a little bit of entertainment. If it was a closer game, I probably would have thought differently.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't remember him being so condescending of his pxp guy before
He knows what he can and can't do, to a point. I think he's entertaining most of the time.

You can tell the pxp guy and Bill sort of feed off each other. I think the pxp guy asked for some of it, or started some of it, by triggering Bill. Probably all part of the act.

You can tell the pure basketball instinct in him opens up when he comments on a nice assist or a give and go. "Now that's basketball!"

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I enjoy Walton well enough. It's all about expectations going into it. As others have mentioned, he appears to do his research and will drop in some interesting nuggets. But then he will do things like, say, not know who is winning the game that makes you scratch your head.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I enjoy Walton well enough. It's all about expectations going into it. As others have mentioned, he appears to do his research and will drop in some interesting nuggets. But then he will do things like, say, not know who is winning the game that makes you scratch your head.
After his cluelessness on several things, I question if his nuggets are legit or just made up. Guessing they are from the sheets the research guys feed them so I would guess they are.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's all an act, but I'm here for it. Occasionally you get a good basketball anecdote from him, but overall it's sheer entertainment to me. I don't really care if he calls ISU games, but overall I could stand to hear more of him. Problem is, he's almost always calling some Pac 12 game with a 9 or 10 PM CT tip off.

• Agree
Reactions: davegilbertson

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
At least Walton's bit is quirky and periodically funny. I wouldn't CHOOSE him to do a game for my team, but I've watched so much worse commentary from people who are seriously trying to be serious and professional...I'll take Walton over that hot garbage. Not everyone can be Coach Fran.

I got more of a kick out of watching/listening to the PxP guy trying to keep him on topic and on point, that was just outright hilarious, whether it was a bit or not I don't care.

• Winner
Reactions: t-noah and drlove

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The play by play guy also smokes plenty of weed. Only way you can explain that Ames is over an hour from Des Moines. Should be able to get there around 25 minutes.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I think he could get annoying to have announce a lot of your games but I kind of enjoy his weirdness a couple times a year.
just the opposite for me. I follow another school that he does a lot of games for, and it gets better all the time.
Now I'll watch about any game he does, regardless of teams. His analysis is more insightful (when provided) than most of the other espn color people on their best day.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
At least Walton's bit is quirky and periodically funny. I wouldn't CHOOSE him to do a game for my team, but I've watched so much worse commentary from people who are seriously trying to be serious and professional...I'll take Walton over that hot garbage. Not everyone can be Coach Fran.

I got more of a kick out of watching/listening to the PxP guy trying to keep him on topic and on point, that was just outright hilarious, whether it was a bit or not I don't care.
if you can pair Dave Pasch or Jason Benetti with Walton, it is great humor. Dave and Jason can keep calling the game while putting up with Waltons craziness.

Last edited: