Newton Cop going Viral

7thYearSenior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 25, 2012
Just want to clarify some misleading advice from this video. You can absolutely refuse any and all of the tests, but your going to lose your license for doing so. If you do refuse to take the tests those refusals will come in as evidence. The only thing that is always kept out is the result from the portable breathalyzer.
People need to check the state they live in but in most states this isn’t entirely correct.
You can refuse the SFST tests(one leg stand, walk and turn ext.) and the on scene breathalyzer. Those tests are done pre-arrest and in most states they do not fall under the implied consent laws. Once someone is arrested for DUI/OWI and taken back to the station and they will be asked to take an intoximeter test or give a urine sample. This is typically when implied consent kicks in and if you refuse at that point you can be charged with DUI/OWI refusal and your license will be suspended.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
People need to check the state they live in but in most states this isn’t entirely correct.
You can refuse the SFST tests(one leg stand, walk and turn ext.) and the on scene breathalyzer. Those tests are done pre-arrest and in most states they do not fall under the implied consent laws. Once someone is arrested for DUI/OWI and taken back to the station and they will be asked to take an intoximeter test or give a urine sample. This is typically when implied consent kicks in and if you refuse at that point you can be charged with DUI/OWI refusal and your license will be suspended.
Can you say you were too drunk to understand your rights?

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
On my last day in small town Nebraska, I was showing the person taking over the morning paper route the route, and I was pulled over by the town/county deputy dog. He gave me a nice long speech about how he was letting me off because I never give him any guff.

Never met that guy before. I guess I was quite the danger with my newspapers at 4 AM.
Note to self: don't give no guff, won't get no guff

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Got pulled over once leaving the county fair. I was maybe 18. My car was a real POS 1970 Buick Skylark. Anyway I asked the cop why he pulled ,me over, and he just yelled to give him my registration and license. He eventually said he pulled me over because my muffler was shot and in violation. I said not possible because that very day I got a new exhaust system installed. He didn’t believe me so I pulled out the receipt, quote, and work order I had in the glove box. He got really pissed, told me to return it to the shop and get it redone or ask for my money back then told me to go home. Thirty years later I am still laughing at that a-hole.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
If I get pulled over doing two miles over the speed limit, I will tell the cop to go F himself and will only cooperate the bare minimum. That just means a cop is in a power trip.
I would ask for the ticket, maybe beg. 67 in a 65? I'm framing that bad boy. I'm going to my court date just to plead guilty in front of everyone, probably going to try and televise myself walking down the courthouse steps.

Reactions: Drew0311

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Most states have an automatic 1 year suspension for a refusal. I suspect it doesn't violate your Miranda Rights because there is a public interest in keeping impaired drivers off the road and a drivers license is a privilege.

Honestly though the kid was begging for a breathalyzer. Why couldn’t they just give it to him and send him on instead of making him stand in the rain?

7thYearSenior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 25, 2012
Most states have an automatic 1 year suspension for a refusal. I suspect it doesn't violate your Miranda Rights because there is a public interest in keeping impaired drivers off the road and a drivers license is a privilege.
Most states have some form of implied consent law which I believe is how they get around Miranda/ the 5th amendment. Basically these laws say that when you drive a car or get your license you are giving consent to submit to a breathalyzer/ blood/ Urine Test should an officer have probable cause to arrest you for DUI.

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
I would ask for the ticket, maybe beg. 67 in a 65? I'm framing that bad boy. I'm going to my court date just to plead guilty in front of everyone, probably going to try and televise myself walking down the courthouse steps.
Even better, you can go to court and say the radar gun isn't accurate enough to say you were speeding. Even when properly calibrated, most can vary ~2-3 mph.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
The safe word with BF and I is ….. Punt.

Some officers, local and state, simply use the position as a power trip. I was pulled over once in a 65 mph zone (4 lane) after very slowly passing a state trooper, I was going 67 mph. He asked me if I thought it was smart to pass a state trooper while speeding. I said I was going 67 in a 65, have passed troopers plenty of times going within 2-4 mph of the speed limit without incident. The guy was 5'4. He gave me a warning, but I had my real answer. Just a doosh with little man syndrome.
Why are you torturing yourself with that avatar Gonzo? I don’t want to hear you and BF’s safe word ;)

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
Most states have some form of implied consent law which I believe is how they get around Miranda/ the 5th amendment. Basically these laws say that when you drive a car or get your license you are giving consent to submit to a breathalyzer/ blood/ Urine Test should an officer have probable cause to arrest you for DUI.
When you sign your license you agree to a 1 year suspension if you refuse to blow.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
I don’t hate them I just avoid them like the plague because you never know when you’ll run into one like this guy.

Why could he not give the breathalyzer right away? Instead he makes him stand in the rain for half an hour in the middle of the night.
When I was pulled over leaving a bar for a license plate light out and given the field sobriety test the officer told me they can't give the breathalyzer until they are sure it has been at least 10 minutes since your last drink of alcohol or it wouldn't be accurate. So after going through (and passing) all of the SFST I still had to stand there for a couple minutes before I could blow 0.00 in the breathalyzer.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Just want to clarify some misleading advice from this video. You can absolutely refuse any and all of the tests, but your going to lose your license for doing so. If you do refuse to take the tests those refusals will come in as evidence. The only thing that is always kept out is the result from the portable breathalyzer.
I have been told that if you state you want to talk to your lawyer before taking any test that it’s not test refusal. Since legal representation is a right, they have to give you time to get in touch with a lawyer and for the lawyer to drive down and talk to you before they can call it test refusal and take your license. And if they call it test refusal it gets Thrown out - True or not?

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
I have been told that if you state you want to talk to your lawyer before taking any test that it’s not test refusal. Since legal representation is a right, they have to give you time to get in touch with a lawyer and for the lawyer to drive down and talk to you before they can call it test refusal and take your license. And if they call it test refusal it gets Thrown out - True or not?

I can only speak to how things work in Iowa. This is more than you asked, but it’s probably good information for people to know, as there is a lot of bad conventional information out there about OWI. Long and short, you have a right to legal representation during court proceedings. That doesn’t act as a means to prevent an officer from investigating an OWI.

I would first emphasize that there are multiple ways to commit OWI. There’s obviously the universal BAC over .08 which is a per se OWI. There is also a theory based on impairment. Technically a driver can be below a .08 and still be impaired. This accounts for intoxicants other than alcohol along with the fact that some people are physically impaired below a .08. There’s this general belief that .08 is the be all end all for OWI which isn’t accurate - you can still get an OWI if you appear impaired.

I would also emphasize that generally an OWI stop is broken into two parts: (1) The on scene portion of the stop; (2) The portion of the stop at the police station.

On scene officers are generally going to make initial contact with a driver and explain why the driver has been pulled over. Usually its going to be for a traffic offense. When people are actually impaired this is the point where they’re probably going to look and smell pretty drunk. Once the driver has been advised that an officer suspects an OWI the officer will ask them to preform several physical field sobriety test. The three basic ones are the eye test, walk and turn, and standing on one leg. There are others as well, but it kind of depends on the police department. After the physical tests are complete officers will also ask whether the driver wants to do portable breathalyzer for a preliminary breath test.

These tests are supposed to be completed in that order (physical test followed by the preliminary breath test) and drivers have the right to refuse to preform any/all of them. Generally, refusing to preform the tests - especially when a driver actually looks and smells drunk - isn’t going to go very well for the driver. Once the tests are completed, if the officer still believes the driver to be impaired they are likely getting detained and transported to a station to do a chemical breath test.

Once a driver gets back to the station they are going to go through an implied consent procedure with the officer. This is just basically a document explaining the drivers rights to them along with potential penalties and consequences if they perform or refuse the chemical breath test. As an example, refusing to perform the chemical test will result in a 1 year license suspension, while a failure will typically be only a 6 month suspension. At the end of the implied consent procedure the officer will ask the driver of they want to submit a chemical breath test. Before asking the driver to perform the chemical test most officers will ask if the driver wants to call anyone for advice, including their lawyer. From there the driver can make a phone call, and will ultimately have to decide where or not to submit the chemical test.

I doubt that most officers are going to wait for a lawyer to physically show up. Keep in mind that most OWIs are happening in the middle of the night, and by this point the officers will have been with the driver 30-60 minutes. A lot of drunk drivers really want to stall as long as possible to sober up. I suppose if a lawyer can get there very quickly the officer might wait, but their is nothing requiring counsel be present while you make a decision on whether or not to perform tests. Up to this point the driver hasn’t technically even been arrested yet, rather the officer is just investigating a suspected OWI.

Last edited:

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Can you say you were too drunk to understand your rights?

I used to get bussed down to the Iowa police training center when I was at ISU. They'd get us drunk and practice their field sobriety tests. Good times. The officers, who are there for what is essentially continuing education, get graded based on who they failed and who they thought was the sober one. Anyway, one of the guys who leads the training told us that you'd be shocked by how many people when asked to do one of the tests replies with "I couldn't even do that if I was sober!".

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron