Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
First, thanks for backing up your 'disagree'. Borrowing in general will continue to get more difficult (inflation and interest rates). As highly leveraged as ESPN still is in cable, they're now approaching financial woes. Fox having spread agreements with the B12, but now playing the power move suggests they'll be devoting more resources to the B1G for next round of negotiations. Finding deeper pockets will require a better product. Unless (and mind you, this all runs in parallel behind closed doors just as ESPN and FOX have done with their primaries) the revenue stream increases as product is enhanced, there will be no product enhancement. I just suggested making a power move for ND, but that's only IF we have money eyeballs on our plans. We'll see just how big our new commissioner's kahunas are. And, finally, I agree better product equals more money. BUT, that's an ever increasing 'risk'. Watch for Disney to bail if the SEC payouts aren't happening as optimistically as their play was advertised.
There is a lot of TINA at play. TV rights are much higher than ever before and new entrants are emerging for a reason. If anything college athletic rights are still undervalued.

Further brand consolidation is good for the networks though. And the schools on the outside of the P2 certainly want movement.

Costs to these schools have not gone up like the TV rights- the BIG and SEC will have no issue affording adding more, it is whether they want to. Would the BIG rather be at 16 with two far-flung outliers, or make a little less per team, but more than now, and add 2-4 more Pac 12 schools? Or they could do unequal revenue sharing, with all schools still making more than the alternative.

There is ZERO chance of the ND even taking the Big 12's call.
Big 12's power play is to grab fear-driven middle Pac 12 program, and remove any backup conference for UW and Oregon is they get told "not now" from the BIG. IF that happens, you then work with ESPN to remove the ACC.

Reactions: SeaClone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
There is no way ND would join the Big12. This is one of the most scorching hot takes I have ever seen. They will remain independent until one of the P2 gives them an ultimatum like keeping them out of the playoff or not allowing member schools to schedule games with them.
I just looked up ND's athletics numbers for last year. They made $20k on $169k income. That's a ton of income/expenditures. What on God's earth in their AD is costing that much? Something a bit funny with those numbers, but since their private I wouldn't be surprised if it's funny money.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I just looked up ND's athletics numbers for last year. They made $20k on $169k income. That's a ton of income/expenditures. What on God's earth in their AD is costing that much? Something a bit funny with those numbers, but since their private I wouldn't be surprised if it's funny money.

Maybe it’s due to their tax situation?

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I don’t know how to respond to that because I don’t think you meant to say that ND only had 169k in income…

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
So I just googled it an it said ND had 20 million after expenditures, 169mil in revenue, close to 150mil in expenditures
Oops. Ok. What's your answer on what they're spending all of that on? Something funny there. Don't you agree? Also, with that type of income, no way they 'even' the playing field by joining the B1G. Or, yes, any conference for that matter. Unless, they're forced to by the new 'order' to play for the NC. In which case, again the B12 without even distribution. There's so many ways to play this.

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Ok. What's your answer on what they're spending all of that on? Something funny there. Don't you agree?
Nah, athletic depts are very expensive. Outside of football and basketball the other sports are essentially money pits. Football salaries for coaches and staff are probably close to 20-25mil by themselves. Add in another 5 mil for basketball salaries. Then you have the staff in the AD to pay plus all the non revenue sport staffs/coaches. You also have to pay the people working the events, security, concessions staff, parking, etc. After all that you have to pay for the facilities plus maintence. Then the left over amount is usually earmarked for future projects or paying off old projects.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Nah, athletic depts are very expensive. Outside of football and basketball the other sports are essentially money pits. Football salaries for coaches and staff are probably close to 20-25mil by themselves. Add in another 5 mil for basketball salaries. Then you have the staff in the AD to pay plus all the non revenue sport staffs/coaches. You also have to pay the people working the events, security, concessions staff, parking, etc. After all that you have to pay for the facilities plus maintence. Then the left over amount is usually earmarked for future projects or paying off old projects.
Wonder if 'donations' are counted in that. Also, wonder what the 'state' contribution to funding for ISU's facilities are since, of course, ND doesn't have. Also, wonder what other revenue streams ND has besides 'media'. All those considerations aside, the question still remains: why even consider the B1G if those numbers are correct?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Oops. Ok. What's your answer on what they're spending all of that on? Something funny there. Don't you agree? Also, with that type of income, no way they 'even' the playing field by joining the B1G. Or, yes, any conference for that matter. Unless, they're forced to by the new 'order' to play for the NC.
University of Iowa Athletic Dep Revenue for fiscal year 2021-22 was $145.6 million, and they lost $41,965,518.
They overspent their income by almost $42M. Expenditures of close to $200M. And you are wondering what ND spent $150M on?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Wonder if 'donations' are counted in that. Also, wonder what the 'state' contribution to funding for ISU's facilities are since, of course, ND doesn't have. Also, wonder what other revenue streams ND has besides 'media'. All those considerations aside, the question still remains: why even consider the B1G if those numbers are correct?
Oh I totally forgot travel too. No idea what ISU’s numbers look like. Donations are usually included in revenue (though could be different for ND). The reason they would consider the big ten is that their media dollars would probably double.

• Agree
Reactions: HoopsTournament

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
University of Iowa Athletic Dep Revenue for fiscal year 2021-22 was $145.6 million, and they lost $41,965,518.
They overspent their income by almost $42M. Expenditures of close to $200M. And you are wondering what ND spent $150M on?
Ok. I'll stand corrected, but how much of Iowa's expenses were extensions of Covid fallout?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Oh I totally forgot travel too. No idea what ISU’s numbers look like. Donations are usually included in revenue (though could be different for ND). The reason they would consider the big ten is that their media dollars would probably double.
Did I read this right? NBC pays out $15mil for football media rights (last updated in 2016)? If true, now I 100% switch and ask why are they still an independent? Must have a pretty good payout for the teams they play.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’m just glad that P5 and P2 is a made up media and fan term. In the grand scheme the P5 are all legally autonomy conferences unless they dissolve like the PAC might end up doing. Now I could see the SEC being selfish enough to break away and cancel all their other sports, but I don’t think the B1G who actually cares about academics and other sports would.

Sure, we will make less than the “P2”, but we will make more than we ever have still, and well I feel like our faculties are just fine. There’s only so much you can improve. The biggest thing is they will be able to have better transportation for their Olympic sports, and pay their coaches better. The biggest issue will be if the day comes where schools can just pay players, instead of donors doing it for them like now.

• Agree

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Always a lot of that talk, but only ever from one side.

They're only quasi independent now. As long as the ACC holds, they'll be fine. It all depends on the endgame. If expansion is mostly done, they have no reason to change anything.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Did I read this right? NBC pays out $15mil for football media rights (last updated in 2016)? If true, now I 100% switch and ask why are they still an independent? Must have a pretty good payout for the teams they play.
I think that is the deal for ND home football games. Not sure where all the other money comes from but I have always been told their total media compensation is closer to 35-40mil.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Ok. I'll stand corrected, but how much of Iowa's expenses were extensions of Covid fallout?
The losses were extensions from covid, not the expenses. They had normal expenses, with lower income. Although Iowa has been over budget regularly for several years.

Do you not realize ADs spend $100-200M per year?

• Informative

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
If true, very interesting near future. I still want the B12 commissioner to be ultra aggressive.
Even before all this chaos blew up cfb on Thursday I have said that I believe that the Big12 will be fine. If the pac disappears in the next year before the get a new media deal it’s even better for the Big12. The only risk the Big12 has is if the P2 try to keep the playoff only to themselves