Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I was interested in the who will eat who thing between the Pac-10 and Big 12 until every reporter said the Big Ten is not done, and every report has said things are on a brief pause only to wait for Notre Dame's decision. This makes total sense.

The B1G will take at least 1 and potentially more Pac-10 school(s), which will make the "who will eat who?" question very easy to answer. The Big 12 will poach whoever it wants from whoever is left. The Pac-12 will either die or will become a hollow shell back-filled with Mountain West schools.
There’s no use speculating on anything until B10 and the SEC are done picking their teeth.

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
All I am saying is both leagues are about equal so why leave

The Big 12 is more stable for Arizona or Utah because they already know that the B1G, SEC, ACC don't want any of those schools. They all tried a year ago and got rejected. Ironic that it works this way, but the Big 12 is much more stable for this reason.

If you stay in the Pac-12 because it's about equal then you might get nuked when Washington and/or Oregon bail on you. For the B1G, for the SEC, maybe for the ACC, maybe even for a sweetheart uneven revenue sharing deal in the Big 12. It's riskier. Big 12 is a safer play to stay at the table.

Somebody in the Pac-12 right now is likely to get demoted out of the P5 (or P4 once that league collapses). If you take the Big 12 invite now you guarantee that it's not you. That's extremely attractive considering the only schools guaranteed to not get demoted are Oregon and UW. There are scenarios where any of the other 8 end up in the Mountain West.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Because they will get a TV deal after 2024. Before the big 12 does.
That makes no sense. It would still be unstable. UW and Oregon have said they don’t want to sign a GOR. Chances are it will be for much less and shorter which keeps conference unstable. Big 12 teams are more aligned than ever before. It makes much more sense for them to add more like minded schools that don’t threaten the stability of the conference.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't think they are if they take a couple big 12 teams. Washington and Oregon going to Florida or West Virginia make no sense. Oklahoma State BYU and Texas schools going west does. If your not in the top 2 money making leagues.

I think there’s a .001% both Oregon and Washington are in Pac long term if Pac exists. If they are both in Pac long term it’s actually a bad sign that things went horribly wrong with our new comish and we’re basically in American Athletic.

Washington has a ton of travel no matter what unless the four PNW schools unite for life and add noise state.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
If the bar for being added to the B10 is 100 million, so revenue by adding them does not drop the payout of each team, then the only team that is going to being in that type of money to anyone is ND.

It was not long ago that B10 fans were saying that unless your school brought in at least 50 million it was not getting an invite, now the bar is 100 million?

Maybe the schools in the B10 are just going to have to lower expectations a little and stop talking about 100 to 120 million per school and get a little bit less greedy and say 90 million per year will be fine.
If the number to join is $100MM, then what is it to stay? Eventually something is going to happen to the teams that don’t pull their own weight. OSU considered going independent, that says a lot.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
That makes no sense. It would still be unstable. UW and Oregon have said they don’t want to sign a GOR. Chances are it will be for much less and shorter which keeps conference unstable. Big 12 teams are more aligned than ever before. It makes much more sense for them to add more like minded schools that don’t threaten the stability of the conference.
And they wouldn't sign on in the big 12 either

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
close-door-the-office.gif

Wait is Thinker a hawk troll? I avoid the rivalry board.

In my experience posters with names like voiceofreason, critical observer, thinker, etc are generally insufferable. I laugh just thinking about the moment when the username gets created.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No, it's laughable that you feel "qualified" to rip Bowlsby yet again, when you have no knowledge whatsoever of what he did/could have done. Just amazing.
So then it's George Kliavkoff's fault that USC and UCLA bolted? After all he said just recently that he was "not concerned" about the Big Ten poaching any of his teams.
Tell me what could he have done, genius?

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The big 12 did the same last year right? And took on the top lower level schools and did not poach any major conference teams
After PAC 12 turned down Big 12 teams saying they weren’t expanding. Big 12 is not going to make the same mistake. (You need to add the word “Not very good” to the beginning of your username)

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
I have no expectations of UW and Oregon of coming to the Big 12. I expect Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado to join Big 12 because they know that UW and Oregon will jump to the Big 10 tomorrow if they get the invite.
Yeah that is what I have said. Lol if those 2 leave then big 12 goes after the others. But the door may be open for Stanford and Cal to the big in the future. And the SEC could come for Arizona market