Survivor 42

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Here is to hoping this season is better than the last one which I think may have been the worst in the show's existence. First impressions so far is there are going to be a lot more likable players this season than last season. Going to continue some of the new twists they introduced last season since this cast had not seen season 41 yet plus introduce some new ones. Right off the bat I like the 3 person amulet advantage. If all 3 of those people make it to the merge it could get crazy, either they will agree to use it for extra votes or steal votes or they start scheming against each other to be the last one left so it turns into an immunity idol. I like the potential of that one.

The 2 stories involving Jackson sure was a surprise. I would have never guessed he was transgender then having to be pulled from the game because he didn't disclose that he just stopped using lithium right before the season started. I figured when Jeff came to the camp and we just saw a scene before that when someone was telling Jackson they would be pushing water to him because he was saying he felt dizzy the past 10 hours that it has to be something medical related to bring Jeff there. Did find it a bit over the top that several people that had only 48 hours with someone they never know before could be moved to tears that quickly.

Johnathan looks like he is going to be a challenge beast. That could be good early one but big target on him later. My initial "feel" of this cast is I am going to find some likable people to root for sooner than I did last season where I never really did like a good chunk of the people who played.

Reactions: Cyclone06

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Ill wait to decide. It has a good start. I just want them to play survivor and not try and jam politics down my throat like Jeff has done for the last so many seasons. So far so good though

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Nothing to earth shattering last night. Don't think it matter which one they voted out last night but you gotta think Maryanne's over the top personality eventually wears on you and you vote her out because she is annoying right? God bless her for being such a happy soul but just the 60 minutes we get every week I can't imagine how annoying that would get after a few days.

Mike telling Daniel about his 3 way idol was not too bright. I've said this every season now: NEVER TELL ANYONE YOU FOUND AN IDOL! It immediately puts a target on you and reduces your odds of winning. It is so more effective to keep it to yourself and onlu use it or reveal you have it when your are in trouble than for it to be an open secret where everyone knows you have it. And judging by next weeks preview he either forgot where he hid it again or someone else found it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
No one watching this season I take it?

Last week was interesting, 2 people could not vote so it wound up a tie and only 2 people could decide who goes home else 4 people draw rocks. Hai had no clue what was going on but he basically forced Daniel into agreeing with him to send Jenny home or draw rocks. I don't see things ending well for either of those 2 now because Daniel now broke the little trust he has with his alliance and Hai basically drew the line in the sand that he would rather keep Lydia around than work with the ones in the alliance. He was the only one that looked surprised and confused when there were only 4 votes then 2 votes on the re-vote while everyone else was able to figure out 2 people had lost their votes somehow.

At least so far the new twists they introduced last season are already coming into play more this season with bigger consequences for the risks that go with them as compared to how they played out last season. One other thing, Jonathan may be the biggest challenge beast we have seen. The dude literally carried his team this last time while they had to stop the challenge and get the other 2 teams out of the water because the tide was too rough to continue. If he makes it to the merge he's going to be tough to get out when immunity challenges are more physical than mental. He's playing a pretty good game so far including socially which probably means he will get voted out before he gets too far along.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

Last week was interesting, 2 people could not vote so it wound up a tie and only 2 people could decide who goes home else 4 people draw rocks. Hai had no clue what was going on but he basically forced Daniel into agreeing with him to send Jenny home or draw rocks. I don't see things ending well for either of those 2 now because Daniel now broke the little trust he has with his alliance and Hai basically drew the line in the sand that he would rather keep Lydia around than work with the ones in the alliance. He was the only one that looked surprised and confused when there were only 4 votes then 2 votes on the re-vote while everyone else was able to figure out 2 people had lost their votes somehow.

At least so far the new twists they introduced last season are already coming into play more this season with bigger consequences for the risks that go with them as compared to how they played out last season. One other thing, Jonathan may be the biggest challenge beast we have seen. The dude literally carried his team this last time while they had to stop the challenge and get the other 2 teams out of the water because the tide was too rough to continue. If he makes it to the merge he's going to be tough to get out when immunity challenges are more physical than mental. He's playing a pretty good game so far including socially which probably means he will get voted out before he gets too far along.

Im trying to buy into this season. I am not there yet. It seams it's heading in the right direction.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

We're watching. But
a) I didn't see this thread until today (28 Mar), and
b) We have a regular Wed night thing with our oldest granddaughter, so we don't watch Survivor until the next day. I try to avoid spoilers. :)

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It just stuns me the amount of people who tell people they just met a few days ago about an advantage or idol they found. Puts an immediate target on your back.

That's been one of my biggest pet peeves every season. There is no reason to tell anyone that you have an idol or advantage unless your back is against the wall and you have to use that knowledge to save yourself, an ally, or get the votes to swing your way to vote out someone else. The players that keep those to themselves and use them at the right times usually get the most benefit out of them by keeping it a secret. Always feels to me like as soon as you reveal you have an idol or advantage you open yourself up to a blindside or being manipulated more.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Daniel definitely came out of the last tribal as a loser. The only smart thing he said was that they should definitely pick one of the two versus doing rocks. After that he basically had to agree to vote out Jenny since he couldn't convince the other guy to vote his way - he'd painted himself into a corner. Meanwhile he revealed himself to be a conniving liar (which is a part of the game), but you don't want to wear that hat so strongly and/or so early in the game.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Ever since Winners at War, Its been almost impossible for me to get into the last two seasons. 41 was especially awful and that turned me off from this season as well

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Daniel definitely came out of the last tribal as a loser. The only smart thing he said was that they should definitely pick one of the two versus doing rocks. After that he basically had to agree to vote out Jenny since he couldn't convince the other guy to vote his way - he'd painted himself into a corner. Meanwhile he revealed himself to be a conniving liar (which is a part of the game), but you don't want to wear that hat so strongly and/or so early in the game.

Yeah I would not take a 25% chance of going home by drawing rocks either but he went about it the wrong way. He tried to keep blaming that 1 gal that it was her idea to vote out Lydia and tried to get her to fess up to it. He should have kept it simple and just asked the other 2 if they were comfortable with drawing rocks or not because if they were not then all he had to say is "ok Hai we'll vote out Jenny for the sake of saving ourselves but you're next to go now since you didn't want to work with us and refused to vote out Lydia." That would have put the blame on Hai and kept Daniel in good graces with his alliance but instead he pissed them off and both he and Hai are going to be targeted to vote out next I am sure.

Ever since Winners at War, Its been almost impossible for me to get into the last two seasons. 41 was especially awful and that turned me off from this season as well

Winners at War was one of the best seasons ever then we had the huge letdown and disaster that was Season 41 that I call "the woke season" that tried to incorporate too much social and racial justice issues into things instead of just playing the game as it was meant to be. I think so far this season looks to be a much smarter and more likable cast that it should put things back on track a bit. I dunno if Jeff is just trying too hard to change the game to his liking now that they gave him more production input but after last season it was apparent they need get back to the basics of what made the show great and not try to completely reinvent things like it feels they are trying to do sometimes.

Reactions: Drew0311

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Delaying my thoughts a day now since ImJustKCClone watches a day later.

Nothing too earth shattering this week. Jonathan remains a beast in challenges and the other 2 tribes showed their jealously after they got whupped once again. You damn well know if he was on your tribe you'd be glad to have him right now so just looks petty to whine about it being unfair. The challenge was more about speed and working together to untangle ropes and solve a puzzle that his size should not have made a huge difference. His team was just in rhythm and communicated well really. I think he's my favorite player at the moment but I know he's getting voted out at some point for being too big of a threat.

Daniel is screwed. The last tribal was probably the final straw for trust with his tribe.

Swati got caught playing both sides and got rightfully voted out. Tori needs to hope she can make it to the merge to find an alliance because she's been lucky that someone else has slipped up worse than her so far as she's been on the chopping block every time they have been at tribal.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Tori is gone if that tribe goes to one more council.

I agree on Jonathan. I was suspicious of him at first - I thought he was going to be one of the stereotypical "Big Dawg" types. He has been a pleasant surprise, and his social game seems pretty good. I suspect he will be gone when the merge happens.

Don't worry about delaying your posts. I just make sure that I don't open the thread until after I've watched. :)

And if you want to save yourself some typing time, KC works for me.

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
I think Tori is a lock for 2nd place if she makes the merge. She just seems so unlikable that everyone will want to take her to the end.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

I agree on Jonathan. I was suspicious of him at first - I thought he was going to be one of the stereotypical "Big Dawg" types. He has been a pleasant surprise, and his social game seems pretty good. I suspect he will be gone when the merge happens.

Don't worry about delaying your posts. I just make sure that I don't open the thread until after I've watched. :)

I could see them voting out Rocksroy instead. He was the only one to vote Tori in the last episode, showing he is not together with the other two. He's also pretty annoying if you ask me.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Yeah when it was apparent early on that Jonathan was going to be a challenge beast my thoughts were he better play a great social game to go with it because he's going to be a big target. I think he's played it about as well as he could so far, he's leading but he is not doing it in a way that people view him as a controlling person. He's been very humble in wins making sure to point out they did it as a team and they just communicate and work well together in challenges. He doesn't overdo things at camp, just fits in well so far I think. I'm resigned to the fact he will likely get blindsided at some point but as a fan he's the type of player I think deserves to win because he's playing a well-rounded game thus far.

I think Tori is a lock for 2nd place if she makes the merge. She just seems so unlikable that everyone will want to take her to the end.

I hadn't thought that far ahead yet but I agree with this. She basically needs a merge or a shuffle at this point to stay alive but her game at the moment is the "anyone but me" where she's an easy vote to help get someone else out. I am enjoying this season better than last season so far as I think the players have been playing much smarter than the previous cast did. I have not really found much fault in their votes so far and last season I was already frustrated by this point with tribes voting out their strongest players before the merge which as a result was costing them in immunity challenges.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone