Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Agreed, but I think Clone Wars went further than Rebels.

Clone Wars had Kenobi and Duchess Satin, and stuff like the Pong Krell story arc, but it was also set in a war and closely followed the clones who were soldiers, I think it's kind of darker by design. People who don't like Ezra also probably weren't on the internet for that first season of Clone Wars - people flat out hated Ahsoka. I mean dorks were losing their damn minds.

I think Rebels season 2 to the end was consistently stronger though with higher highs than Clone Wars, IMO. It helps that they included Thrawn, a guy who I've been imagining since like 1995 in my head after reading those Timothy Zahn books so I am biased here.

Reactions: houjix

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Early Clones Wars was also hampered by it not always being linear. Characters who died in S1 were back in S2 because they were telling an earlier timeline story. Just a hair confusing if you didn't watch the show closely.

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Early Clones Wars was also hamper by it not always being linear. Characters who died in S1 were back in S2 because they were telling an earlier timeline story. Just a hair confusing if you didn't watch the show closely.

When I first watched the show, I was a little confused as well. After watching it through the first time, I found a chronological order of the series and watched it that way. Definitely better.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Early Clones Wars was also hampered by it not always being linear. Characters who died in S1 were back in S2 because they were telling an earlier timeline story. Just a hair confusing if you didn't watch the show closely.

Yeah, that was weird. Especially since Filoni came from Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was as well told of a story and very linear as you can get, I think he was just envisioning Clone Wars as a series of short stories or something like that, especially in the wake of the Tartakovsky Clone Wars.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yeah, that was weird. Especially since Filoni came from Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was as well told of a story and very linear as you can get, I think he was just envisioning Clone Wars as a series of short stories or something like that, especially in the wake of the Tartakovsky Clone Wars.

Wonder if George Lucas made the decision to make the episodes singular in nature, but than Dave was able to convince him later.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wonder if George Lucas made the decision to make the episodes singular in nature, but than Dave was able to convince him later.

I've watched some stuff on the production of it, Lucas hired Filoni specifically and kind of gave him the keys. Gave him some potential story stuff but everything he told him was extremely gray.

• Informative
Reactions: SCNCY

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Clone Wars had Kenobi and Duchess Satin, and stuff like the Pong Krell story arc, but it was also set in a war and closely followed the clones who were soldiers, I think it's kind of darker by design. People who don't like Ezra also probably weren't on the internet for that first season of Clone Wars - people flat out hated Ahsoka. I mean dorks were losing their damn minds.

I think Rebels season 2 to the end was consistently stronger though with higher highs than Clone Wars, IMO. It helps that they included Thrawn, a guy who I've been imagining since like 1995 in my head after reading those Timothy Zahn books so I am biased here.

I'm with you somewhat on the Ashoka vs Ezra comparison. However for me, both improved as time went on, but Ezra only improved slightly while Ashoka DRASTICALLY improved. While I'm digging the Ashoka live-action stuff, I think she is at her peak in this most recent final season of Clone Wars. Her battle on Mandalore vs Maul was spectacular.

Reactions: Zenthar

TKlone3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2011
Council Bluffs
In case people still didn't like how Mando took over some of the Book of Boba Fett and thought Boba Fett should be a standalone. Disney confirms its part of the Mandalorian universe which is centered around Mando. Makes you think about it a little bit differently now and hopefully appreciate it more.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
In case people still didn't like how Mando took over some of the Book of Boba Fett and thought Boba Fett should be a standalone. Disney confirms its part of the Mandalorian universe which is centered around Mando. Makes you think about it a little bit differently now and appreciate it more.

This is what I figured when I watched it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You can now go on the Galactic Starcruiser all immersive 2 night stay at Disney world. I think it's like 6 grand for 2 nights.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You can now go on the Galactic Starcruiser all immersive 2 night stay at Disney world. I think it's like 6 grand for 2 nights.

Just got back from Disney like 2 weeks ago - it's 1,200 a night for the cheapest room. Some of them are like 3,000 a night.

Star Wars land was cool but man that's a lot of money.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv and NWICY

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
I just can't shake the feeling it looks more like Red Dwarf than Star Wars...

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Really excited for this. This also seems to set up for the reason why Owen Lars has a hatred for Obi-Wan we see in a New hope. Looks like Owen gets in to harms way with one of the inquisitors.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Really excited for this. This also seems to set up for the reason why Owen Lars has a hatred for Obi-Wan we see in a New hope. Looks like Owen gets in to harms way with one of the inquisitors.
I miss the old EU canon when he was Obi-wan's brother. That dynamic would have been fun to explore.