Friday OT #2 - So, So, So Scandalous

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
There are so many people following the Gabby Petito story super-closely right now. What are some stories that you followed intensely closely?

I read actual court documents from the Jerry Sandusky trial. Which was NOT easy, as it was horrifying, but it was an example of horrifying systemic abuse.

What are yours?

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.
Thru one specific podcast, I learned something that wasn't talked about much. The autopsies revealed whoever murdered them had to be in phenomenal shape/strong arms and shoulders. Their bodies were "lifted" off the ground by the knife alone from the way they were stabbed.
The podcast also led to some belief there were two murderers (OJ and his son). Ron was well, well versed in the martial arts, so to take him down alone, would be very difficult.

Lots of other things that people already know about OJ but expanded upon more: the Europrean shoes, the gloves (there was a receipt from Nicole purchasing them in that size), the police's awful responses to Nicole's 911 calls.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Weird cults and survival situations (all in the past, in most cases) are a small obsession of mine.

Cults like Scientology, the Mormon Church, Peoples Temple, Heaven's Gate, etc.

Survival situations like the wreck of the whaleship Essex, the Donner Party, Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571, etc.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Weird cults and survival situations (all in the past, in most cases) are a small obsession of mine.

Survival situations like the wreck of the whaleship Essex, the Donner Party, Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571, etc.
There is actually a RAGBRAI team named this too.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I don't follow politics as closely as others, but I spend an unhealthy amount of time following presidential election coverage.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I listen to a lot of true crime. The Maura Murray case is one I think about a lot. And I constantly change my mind about whether I think she disappeared by choice or not.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I went down some weird rabbit holes on the conspiracy theories surrounding that Las Vegas shooter.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

This. I read several (Maybe 2 dozen) books about survival stories about 5 years ago. Kind of ran out of them
I have a few that I really thought deserved more attention and can try to find what they were and share if you wanted.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
About once or twice a month I feel like I go down really deep rabbit holes either on Wikipedia or YouTube about different mass murders, abuse things, assassination attempts, conspiracy theories, etc. It shouldn’t but it just fascinates me how people can get so messed up. I’m probably on some FBI watchlist by now

• Funny
Reactions: MeanDean

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The Theranos story has kept me intrigued. The whole concept just seemed impossible to me to begin with, and with the busting of the company and all the legal troubles, I've kept up with it more than I expected.

That's a good one. I'm not following the trial that closely, though I've got episodes of a podcast saved up to binge here in a week or two. But I read "Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou and a few other longform stories about it. I'm not sure why this story grabbed me rather than, say, the WeWork scandal; perhaps it had something to do with this company's fraudulence actually hurting people, or all the dignitaries who lined up to back Theranos without seeing through it in real time (which seems pretty obvious, even without hindsight). The sociopathic Steve Jobs impersonation she tried to pull probably helped too.

Reactions: SCNCY and Entropy