JTS Improvements - Want More

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Once they get the site cleaned up a bit more I might have to take a road trip over to Ames one day to check it out in person

Reactions: Haverhill

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The video board doesn’t actually look that bad. The problems with the Jacobsen building and the press box is their proportions are way off. It is that simple. The Jacobsen building actually looks decent IMO it just doesn’t fit there.

Counterpoint: It actually does. It looks temporary. And you can tell it was a standalone addition to the stadium when we didn't have the budget to do much else. The board itself is fine. The supports are hideous.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The video board doesn’t actually look that bad. The problems with the Jacobsen building and the press box is their proportions are way off. It is that simple. The Jacobsen building actually looks decent IMO it just doesn’t fit there.
The whole problem with the NEZ is it looks like a series of band-aids (Olsen, Jacobson and Scoreboard). I can see my Architecture professor saying "It's kitsch. It's crap." Actually, he was more colorful than that, but he was a darned good professor. Even the new training center ties very poorly into the practice facility. BUT, it does have a nice façade and cohesiveness with the new entrance plaza. One thing which used to set Iowa State apart from other Universities was it's consistency with the overall master plan. Each of these additions should have factored into a bigger master plan, thus saving millions. But, for the life of me, visionaries like that are very sparse.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The whole problem with the NEZ is it looks like a series of band-aids (Olsen, Jacobson and Scoreboard). I can see my Architecture professor saying "It's kitsch. It's crap." Actually, he was more colorful than that, but he was a darned good professor. Even the new training center ties very poorly into the practice facility. BUT, it does have a nice façade and cohesiveness with the new entrance plaza. One thing which used to set Iowa State apart from other Universities was it's consistency with the overall master plan. Each of these additions should have factored into a bigger master plan, thus saving millions. But, for the life of me, visionaries like that are very sparse.
Exactly. It could look better if it was tied in to a complete redo of that side of the stadium but I’m not sure what some people want without doing that. Yeah it has massive supports to hold it up. No matter what dressing you put on it it is still going to look like that. The video board isn’t the problem there.

I think the supports look as good as they can because they aren’t lipstick on a pig.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com

Yeah I agree the proportions are still just off with certain things at the facility. Hopefully that can change over the next decade.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Back to the scoreboard..... How would everyone feel if they got a larger one, and changed out the posts for better ones? Perhaps the posts could be limestone with a large Walking Cy on each one.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Back to the scoreboard..... How would everyone feel if they got a larger one, and changed out the posts for better ones? Perhaps the posts could be limestone with a large Walking Cy on each one.

Thoughts? Other ideas?
In one of the photoshop dream concepts I drew up and posted a couple weeks ago in this thread, I got rid of the current north video board, added "bowled in" corner balcony-only seats, and added two somewhat smaller video screens to the top of the two corners.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Would love to see concrete supports surround the current structure for the NEZ video board. Not only would it look awesome, it would not hurt should another derecho show up.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

You mean the giant amber alert looking support system? I agree haha. It is hideous.

Are the scoreboard supports going to be the new "New Uniforms" thread?

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I think most college football stadiums have aspects that are not totally aesthetically pleasing. Some stadiums (like the one in Lincoln) have more seats in the end zones than they do between the goal lines. That seems weird to me. And our current press box, when built, was basically the same size as the press box was at Kinnick. Soon after ours was built, the press box in Iowa CIty was greatly expanded to house mostly suites.

It would be quite visually pleasing to have an end to end press/suites facility, but the cost would be quite large, I am sure. And the engineering of it would be an issue for the west concourse. Still, it would look great to have that, but people watching on TV don't see that part of the stadium that often anyway. Frankly, it looks really bad on TV when all the end zone seats are empty since folks are inside getting cool or getting warm or getting drinks. But, those folks are providing revenue.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The facade is gone off of the Olsen now. Not much left of the demo now.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Don't you dare mess with those high donor parking spots!

I agree that would look really cool.

Oh it would be simple to handle that. Just stick a 3 story parking deck back behind the new, mirrored building and that takes care of all those issues and lets the big money guys that don't want to tailgate just go directly to their fancy catered gathering. JP gets a 3rd or 4th floor office that looks out over the entirety of JTS, the fourth floor has two big gathering rooms at the corners for schmoozing with the high rollers, you put a skybridge connecting the two buildings so that catering can be brought over from the kitchens on the athlete side and bam. Money Maker.

You then leave the lower hillsides in place for Jr Cyclone Club and families, push the video board back some, and bowl in the wings on the north endzone. If you raised the video board you could have this cool picture window above the Jake that lets you see into the packed stadium and the packed stadium maybe see out onto the tailgating masses.

Reactions: DSMCy

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Oh it would be simple to handle that. Just stick a 3 story parking deck back behind the new, mirrored building and that takes care of all those issues and lets the big money guys that don't want to tailgate just go directly to their fancy catered gathering. JP gets a 3rd or 4th floor office that looks out over the entirety of JTS, the fourth floor has two big gathering rooms at the corners for schmoozing with the high rollers, you put a skybridge connecting the two buildings so that catering can be brought over from the kitchens on the athlete side and bam. Money Maker.

You then leave the lower hillsides in place for Jr Cyclone Club and families, push the video board back some, and bowl in the wings on the north endzone. If you raised the video board you could have this cool picture window above the Jake that lets you see into the packed stadium and the packed stadium maybe see out onto the tailgating masses.
Not sure if you've ever walked through that lot on a game day, but there's a lot of tailgating going on in that lot.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com

Ding ding ding.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
It feels like such a letdown that they didn't get it all down today. I guess, I'll just have to tune back in tomorrow.
And the next day...

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I would agree with the sentiments that, in general, our collection of stadium upgrades is pretty hodge-podge. That said, I feel like we've seen some improvement in that area in recent years, with more consistent use of materials, colors, finishes, design details. Not sure if this is the result of using different architectural staff, or maybe spending a bit more money.

Overall, I think the hodge-podge nature is the result of projects on the cheap, which is better than no projects at all. So I try not to complain too much.

My complaint: Can we stop using adhesive graphics on every flat surface and window in the stadium?!

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I would agree with the sentiments that, in general, our collection of stadium upgrades is pretty hodge-podge. That said, I feel like we've seen some improvement in that area in recent years, with more consistent use of materials, colors, finishes, design details. Not sure if this is the result of using different architectural staff, or maybe spending a bit more money.

Overall, I think the hodge-podge nature is the result of projects on the cheap, which is better than no projects at all. So I try not to complain too much.

My complaint: Can we stop using adhesive graphics on every flat surface and window in the stadium?!
It has been a little hodge-podge. In spite if the lack of financial support from the masses, as compared to other schools, Jamie and team have done a masterful job.

Last edited:

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
This may annoy folks here, but I'd rather there were more comfortable seats as opposed to simply more seats. Maybe the demand isn't there. I obviously spend on chairbacks every year, but I wish I could have a Sukup-type seat at my 35-yard line seat. Real seats would likely lower capacity, but that could make the experience of sitting in the stands better.