ISU Coaching Poll

Who would be the best person to be ISU’s HC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Of the five games I've seen play in this year, he's had one good half. Thought it might have been just nerves when Caleb was in Ames, but now I'm thinking he's just an average player, at best.
i think he looks improved and I can see him being pretty good by the time he is a Senior.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don’t know why so many people are so eager to do the “random mid-major coach” thing after Prohm. Ties to Iowa State are important for me and I think it’s important to a lot of people.

ISU ties isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but I want someone with better Midwest connections. TJ, Smith, DeVries, Medved fit that bill.

A little surprised/disappointed we didn't continue a stronger showing in Chicago after that 2018 class.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Side bar... once upon a time it seemed ISU was always pulling tough players from Indian Hills CC. Has Indian Hills dropped off or is there another story going on?

for the record LOVED Dustin Hogue

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I like Devries..... but he's going to stay at Drake for a while, so not a real serious possibility yet.

Can you imagine if Calipari threw his hat in the ring? That would make central Iowa VERY interesting for a few years. It's not going to happen, but it would be interesting.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Illinois made a good hire. That ended that little thing.

A strong Illini program is certainly a hindrance, but there's enough talent in that city/metro you should be able to pull a few guys every so often. You really have to have the connections there though, and really know how to work them.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A strong Illini program is certainly a hindrance, but there's enough talent in that city/metro you should be able to pull a few guys every so often. You really have to have the connections there though, and really know how to work them.

Chicago is a false flag for ISU. The money has always been in Wisconsin. That’s why TJ is a good hire. No guesswork needed that he will bring kids in from that state. One less variable to worry about.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Chicago is a false flag for ISU. The money has always been in Wisconsin. That’s why TJ is a good hire. No guesswork needed that he will bring kids in from that state. One less variable to worry about.
Minnesota has good talent too but we seem to be shut out of there since the Wright situation.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Definitely Big 10 country first, and you're right about WI when it's been so good to us.

Just seems like if you're a strong Midwest program it wouldn't hurt to have those connections. I would have hoped Talen's success would be a good selling point for us.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The difference is that Minnesota doesn’t play Wisconsin basketball. African American kids from Minnesota want to go to Minnesota.
Honestly, any good kids in Minnesota leave for other schools. Pitino has not landed hardly anyone worth a crap. How he keeps his job is beyond me. Gopher fans have low expectations.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The difference is that Minnesota doesn’t play Wisconsin basketball. African American kids from Minnesota want to go to Minnesota.
There is a lot of guys that go out of state though. Of course some of those guys are elite guys and they go to the big time programs.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Definitely Big 10 country first, and you're right about WI when it's been so good to us.

Just seems like if you're a strong Midwest program it wouldn't hurt to have those connections. I would have hoped Talen's success would be a good selling point for us.

If not for some shenanigans from Illinois THT would have never been here. It’s not we went in there and shook things up. We just snuck in and capitalized on a stupid situation that became untenable. I would rather focus on WI, IA (there is a growing volume of P5 talent there), get back in to Flint and Brewster Academy. The “Southern Strategy” doesn’t work at ISU.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If not for some shenanigans from Illinois THT would have never been here. It’s not we went in there and shook things up. We just snuck in and capitalized on a stupid situation that became untenable. I would rather focus on WI, IA (there is a growing volume of P5 talent there), get back in to Flint and Brewster Academy. The “Southern Strategy” doesn’t work at ISU.

To be clear, I agree on focusing on WI/IA over Chicago. I'm not saying we need to land a Chicagoland recruit every single year, but finding a good player from there every few years certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

But you bring up another good point, in that recruiting over there you have to put up with more shenanigans and "extra" things

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Minnesota has good talent too but we seem to be shut out of there since the Wright situation.

One thing that isn't talked about on Fred's courtship with the Gophers is that the talent up in the Cities appealed to him. Could've gone up there, kept some of those guys home, and won in short order. Glad that didn't happen though.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

That’s a big game you have to be willing to play if you want access.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
One thing that isn't talked about on Fred's courtship with the Gophers is that the talent up in the Cities appealed to him. Could've gone up there, kept some of those guys home, and won in short order. Glad that didn't happen though.

What Fred found appealing (after year two) wasn't coaching Iowa State, evidently.