On That Note - I Write (and Sing) the Songs

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Welcome to another edition of On That Note - a music related thread brought to you weekly by your hosts @CycloneRulzzz, @cyclones500 and me.

This week we're looking for individuals who first established themselves in the music industry as song writers. (That can be individually or as parts of a songwriting team.) The second part of the equation is the person must have then later had success as a performer.

Ideally, we'd like to see the posts first including a song written by the person (and performed by someone else, obviously). Then post a performance of one of their songs as a performer.

Last week's topic was "Unlisted." It can be found here:

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/on-that-note-un-listed.259862/

My first two:

John Stewart - Daydream Believer (Monkees) Gold

Ernie Maresca - Runaround Sue (Dion) Shout! Shout! Knock Yourself Out

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
man I have a lot of country music examples eventually in this thread as there are a lot of artists in Nashville that make their name as a song writer before they ever break out with a record deal of their own... 2 that come to mind right away are Jamey Johnson who wrote a huge hit for George Strait before he had a huge #1 hit of his own:

Probably my favorite guy in country music is John Rich who was just another guy in Lonestar who wrote some big hits for the group before they kicked him out. He's had some big hits not only with Big & Rich but a lot of other big country artists have recorded songs he wrote too that charted or hit #1.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Kris Kristofferson

Me and Bobby McGee - Roger Miller (first recorded version) …

For the Good Times - Bill Nash (first recorded version)

Sunday Morning Comin’ Down - Ray Stevens

Sunday Morning Comin’ Down - Johnny Cash

SAMPLES AS ARTIST

Loving Her…

Why Me

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Crazy, 1961 recording, 1962 album

Hello Walls, 1961 recording, 1962 album

Whiskey River, 1974, written and recorded by Johnny Bush in 1972. Recording here is the first song performed on the pilot episode of Austin City Limits, per Wikipedia.

Me and Paul, 1976 album, written by Willie Nelson

Good Hearted Woman, 1976 album, written by Waylon and Willie in 1969

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Chris Stapleton wrote a bunch of songs before he became a big name. There are so many good ones so just going to post a link to an article that lists 30 of them: https://theboot.com/songs-you-didnt-know-chris-stapleton-wrote/ though this is 1 of the first ones that comes to mind because he also sings background vocals on it:

One of of his first big hits as a recording artist:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Does this have to be a song that was ONLY written that someone else performed? Like it was written but never performed/recorded by the composer?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
David Gates wrote and produced a couple now legendary Northern Soul singles for Dorothy Berry, circa 1964. Additional factoid: Dorothy Berry was the wife of Richard Berry - best known as the writer of "Louie Louie."

Reactions: ImJustKCClone