Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I registered here nine years ago. I have 17,500 posts.

That is roughly 2,000 per year.

~450 words about an incredibly complex topic

Congrats, you found one.

Not apologizing.

I freely admit I got way overboard back in the day, but I've tried to cool it. I think I've (mostly) had success in that effort.
The length of your posts is only part of the issue. Someone as intelligent as you can surely figure out the rest of it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
As a writer of an actual dissertation, you should know the yawning gap in complexity and length between academic writing and anything I put up on here. If you can handle the reactor being at 100%, and the average CF post is more like 2%, then how hard is it to uptake one of mine at maybe 3% of your capacity? Even your average undergrad should have routinely grappled with far more complex and lengthy stuff than anything on here.

I know when writing drags on and on and on.
If I didn't know it before, I'd know it from your posts.

• Dumb
Reactions: LancelotClone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Some certainly are.

Probably not as many as you think, though.

There is also a pretty big continuum between the Archie Bunker types of the world... well-meaning but nonetheless offensive and hurtful out of their own ignorance and stupidity... and John C. Calhoun, ones with deep ideological commitments to hatred and discrimination.

Ones they are quite open about.

But that kind of nuance is not what online politics is for.

Online politics is for feeling angry. Because feeling angry is fun.

Nothing gets the blood pumping for a violent, chaotic species like ours by evolution like a good political flame war. Our lives have become so predictable, safe, and anodyne otherwise that we have to invent things to get angry about to feed our caveman brains.

We are hardwired with the 3 "Fs" and only of them - "fight" is suitable for chat boards...

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I enjoy when the cave counters and successfully maneuvers around posters that bloviate and where countering that is taken as a objurgation upon their views, and especially those that like'em young (really the same crowd). Self righteousness is typically quickly neutered. The cave is a chance to learn and better understand. Sometimes it does that well, other times not so much.

You write like you have a pretty mouth. :)

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Writing a dissertation just means you paid to go to school a long time.

Numerous graduate students, especially doctoral candidates, are not paying tuition (or, at least, on net when you account for their assistantship positions). I made money (not a lot by current standards, but some) on net while I was in graduate school. I think somebody who writes a dissertation has proven their stubbornness and high tolerance for boredom.

Not that those are bad things. Far from it.

Those are extremely valuable skills.

• Friendly
Reactions: kcbob79clone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Anything else is just your bluster about your ability to ignore complex ideas counter to your own. Not sure I'd brag about that.

My thesis was ~130 pages (size 12, double-space, Times New Roman).

Seriously, what do you people read all day to make a few hundred words so intimidating to you? Twitter posts or something?

Personally stuff about dithiazine. And FERC pronouncements. What do YOU read all day that makes you want to try and display your big brainness?

Some people take themselves way too seriously...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This is an obsolete complaint.

Like I said, I long ago took more constructively phrased versions of this to heart. I don't do mega-posts anymore. Yours above is 74 words. I'm usually in that range. Heck, this one is going to be under 100 easily.

The complaint you're trying to hide behind were relevant in 2016 and 2017, but it is 2020 now. I learned the fair lesson there.

Like I said, you're hiding. Just telling yourself it is the post length.

We're honestly back to a good old-fashioned **** measuring contest...

Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron