Quick Note On The OL

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just an observation. An expansion on something I already posted in a thread.

I thought it was odd that when Trevor Downing was hurt, that Noah Juergenson was the guy who came in for him. Not who I would have expected at the top of the depth chart. Of course, I’d also thought that it was at least a bit odd that neither Rob Hudson nor Grant Treiber started.

When I finally got around to checking the participation report, it says that neither Hudson nor Treiber even played. Not even on special teams. Which is...odd.

Matter of fact, the only other reserve OL mentioned as playing is redshirt freshman Darrell Simmons, who was listed with Enyi’s vacated #5. Since Darrell usually wears #55, that’s probably a typo somewhere.

But using just two reserve OL is...weird. It implies they didn’t even line up any of the RS freshmen on special teams.

So, I have an odd suspicion that when Trevor got hurt, we were down more than just one OL.

And of course, because of HIPAA, if there were other minor injuries—or the OL room had a bunch of guys ruled out because of COVID-19 protocols, the staff wouldn’t be able to tell us, either. And we wouldn’t know at least until they’re back.

Honestly, the COVID-19 game rules say you have to play if you have five OL you can put on the field. It kinda looks like maybe...we had a grand total of seven?

So, maybe, just maybe, we dodged a bullet.

Perhaps we shouldn’t be complaining so much about the lack of OL depth?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I know it was reported Hudson was injured and in sweats for the game.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I am watching my third Dr. Pepper Championship Drive replay or our fiasco.....so Iowa State.......anyway, it still sucks.
I don't get it. Tired of the turnover whine....they missed two chipshot fieldgoals....
We just can't run plays.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
When I finally got around to checking the participation report, it says that neither Hudson nor Treiber even played. Not even on special teams. Which is...odd.

Matter of fact, the only other reserve OL mentioned as playing is redshirt freshman Darrell Simmons, who was listed with Enyi’s vacated #5. Since Darrell usually wears #55, that’s probably a typo somewhere.

For Hudson/Treiber, I'm not sure either one of them even dressed out.

For Simmons, he's listed as "5E" in the software -- which is what happens when multiple guys wear the same number (55 - Zach Petersen).

• Informative
Reactions: Javinegli

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I thought it was odd that when Trevor Downing was hurt, that Noah Juergenson was the guy who came in for him. Not who I would have expected at the top of the depth chart. Of course, I’d also thought that it was at least a bit odd that neither Rob Hudson nor Grant Treiber started.

But using just two reserve OL is...weird. It implies they didn’t even line up any of the RS freshmen on special teams.

So, I have an odd suspicion that when Trevor got hurt, we were down more than just one OL.

And of course, because of HIPAA, if there were other minor injuries—or the OL room had a bunch of guys ruled out because of COVID-19 protocols, the staff wouldn’t be able to tell us, either. And we wouldn’t know at least until they’re back.

Honestly, the COVID-19 game rules say you have to play if you have five OL you can put on the field. It kinda looks like maybe...we had a grand total of seven?

I've never understood this staff's strategy on the OL. A few years ago, when the SDSU game got cancelled, they started Foster at LT and JGJ at Center instead of putting Newell at C as a RSFR. Campbell always says he'd rather play a guy too late than too early, but Foster absolutely got worked at LT by Anthony Nelson of iowa. He basically cost Kyle Kempt the rest of his career.

Foster at LT wasn't awful on Saturday, but he wasn't good either. I have no idea why if you really want to start him, he's not at RT so at least Purdy can see the DE coming. After 5 years, if that's the best guy you can roll out at LT, that's a major problem. And then Juergenson at LG after Downing went out? Good grief. He got destroyed. Where was Hufford, Simmons, Ross? Even TRFR Petersen, Pauls, Rengert couldn't have been that bad. Hopefully Rob Hudson is back next week. They need some guys with attitude and push out there.

It's beyond me why we seem to have a bunch of young guys on the OL every year that aren't ready to play, but very few upper classmen.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The OL has always been a glaring weakness on Campbell's teams at ISU. After Downing got hurt, it was just ugly. But as the OP pointed out throwing out a walkon to replacement him just didn't make any sense. We have been hearing about all these other guys, yet you replace your best guy with a guy no one was talking about and he was clearly overwhelmed.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Snydes

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
The OL was solid until Downing went down. They were pushing UL around.

After Downing went down, they lined up their big DT over Downings backup, and he got absolutely worked. I felt bad for him as he was entirely physically overwhelmed.

Not his fault, but it is unacceptable that he was our next best OL.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I've never understood this staff's strategy on the OL. A few years ago, when the SDSU game got cancelled, they started Foster at LT and JGJ at Center instead of putting Newell at C as a RSFR. Campbell always says he'd rather play a guy too late than too early, but Foster absolutely got worked at LT by Anthony Nelson of iowa. He basically cost Kyle Kempt the rest of his career.

Foster at LT wasn't awful on Saturday, but he wasn't good either. I have no idea why if you really want to start him, he's not at RT so at least Purdy can see the DE coming. After 5 years, if that's the best guy you can roll out at LT, that's a major problem. And then Juergenson at LG after Downing went out? Good grief. He got destroyed. Where was Hufford, Simmons, Ross? Even TRFR Petersen, Pauls, Rengert couldn't have been that bad. Hopefully Rob Hudson is back next week. They need some guys with attitude and push out there.

It's beyond me why we seem to have a bunch of young guys on the OL every year that aren't ready to play, but very few upper classmen.
The first play Juergenson was in at LG, he got blown up at the line of scrimmage and was forced to hold his guy, which caused a penalty. He looked like he had no business being out there.

I heard that Foster's dad might have worked for one of the recruiting services. He knew how to use the system to have his son appear higher in the recruiting rankings. I'm not sure how all of that works though.

• Informative
Reactions: PsychedCy09

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The OL was solid until Downing went down. They were pushing UL around.

After Downing went down, they lined up their big DT over Downings backup, and he got absolutely worked. I felt bad for him as he was entirely physically overwhelmed.

Not his fault, but it is unacceptable that he was our next best OL.
I was actually surprised how much of a push we were getting before Downing went out. There was one carry that Breece had that I thought was only a 2-3 yard gain, but actually was 5 yards because we were moving them so much.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Is this speculation? I'm a tad skeptical but that rarely means anything...

CMC did something similar last year or the year before when not starting Newell I believe? He was tabbed a starter but CMC overthought it and didn't want a young Iowa kid to have his first start against Iowa because the pressure may have been too great.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The same guy that was the coach last year when we had a record setting offense.

did one or two games perhaps skew the numbers? We had a few games last year where the offense looked pathetic. Second half against Texas, first 3 quarters against Baylor, The UNI game (only 13 points in regulation!!!!) , Okie State game, KSU, Norte Dame. I would throw Iowa game too, we did put up 421 yards, but unless we hit from far away, we struggled mightily against Iowa past the their 40 yard line. So when people throw out we had a record setting offense, I take with a grain a salt because there were a lot of games last year where the lack of offense did us in.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Downing being out was the big blow, we were doing ok until then...

Explain that to me; I've read multiple accounts mentioning the same and how it affected our 'push' and opening blocking lanes and causing Purdy to rush passes.
Is our OL personnel that susceptible that losing one guy alters our entire game plan?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
did one or two games perhaps skew the numbers? We had a few games last year where the offense looked pathetic. Second half against Texas, first 3 quarters against Baylor, The UNI game (only 13 points in regulation!!!!) , Okie State game, KSU, Norte Dame. I would throw Iowa game too, we did put up 421 yards, but unless we hit from far away, we struggled mightily against Iowa past the their 40 yard line. So when people throw out we had a record setting offense, I take with a grain a salt because there were a lot of games last year where the lack of offense did us in.
If you are going to ignore the few really good offensive games, then you should ignore the few really bad ones too.

My problem is you seem to want to get rid of the offensive coordinator, who was here during one of the best, if not the best offensive seasons we've ever had. Sure, the offense can be better, but it hasn't been throughout the history of Iowa State football. So I don't know why you'd think it'll magically be better with a new coordinator. History suggests it would likely be worse.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

Offense definitely regressed towards the end of the season. We became extremely predictable due to our inability to run the football. I believe Iowa State ranked 9th the Big 12 in rushing (for conference games) last year. Running the football has to improve to make this offense more "multiple" (CMC quote). 2nd half last Saturday was not encouraging in that effort.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Explain that to me; I've read multiple accounts mentioning the same and how it affected our 'push' and opening blocking lanes and causing Purdy to rush passes.
Is our OL personnel that susceptible that losing one guy alters our entire game plan?
Losing one guy isn’t necessarily bad. Losing one guy when other losses apparently drop you all the way down to using a walkon causing a problem should tell you that it’s “losing all those other players” that’s the real problem.

Reactions: besserheimerphat