Tyler Harris eligible!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
View attachment 74916

idk how this addresses the PG needs when Harris was 6th on his own Memphis team in assist numbers

he'll play alot of minutes for ISU, he'll help ISU win games, but he's not the answer at PG in my opinion.

View attachment 74917

I don't think anybody on here or in the program sees Tyler as a ball-dominant, pretty high-usage PG in the same vein as previous Prohm point guards like Canaan, Payne, Morris, and Haliburton.

I would expect something more like 2018-2019 where one guy... Nick that year, probably Bolton next... might bring the ball down the court more often then not, but offense and creation can really come from anybody from 1-4 or even 5 with a post touch. It will be by committee among the guards/wings, which will be fine.

Harris is going to be a SG on offense and a PG on defense given his size. That might be okay, though assuming the rest of the defense has long and lanky guys like JCL, Hinson, Johnson, and the freshmen around him.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I bet that’s what it it is.
There's an assumption that it will be Solo going, um, solo in the starting line-up in terms of traditional bigs and I don't have any better idea than that as to Prohm's decisions. But that would mean that Foster and Conditt - the two bigs with the highest ceilings of any ISU bigs (say 6'10" and up) that I can remember, including Vic Alexander - get minimal time on the court. I find that amazing. Maybe the assumption that we can only play 1 at a time will prove to be wrong.

Solo showed that ISU's D - such as it was - last year was better with him out there even though he's not a rim protector like George. Conditt looked like he was coming on and then kind of faded. He needs more consistency.

Is Foster more of a stretch 4? You guys who have followed him in HS would know that better than I. Could he play with a traditional big?

I think of Conditt and Foster as at least having NBA bodies but I don't really give Solo much of a shot in the League yet most of us feel more comfortable with Solo on the court because of all the intangibles.

The news about Harris is awesome. I look forward to seeing how effective he is on defense as I'm sure he'll be an offensive contributor. I'd love to see that 3-pt percentage of his get up closer to 38% since Matty Ice isn't coming back.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
There's an assumption that it will be Solo going, um, solo in the starting line-up in terms of traditional bigs and I don't have any better idea than that as to Prohm's decisions. But that would mean that Foster and Conditt - the two bigs with the highest ceilings of any ISU bigs (say 6'10" and up) that I can remember, including Vic Alexander - get minimal time on the court. I find that amazing. Maybe the assumption that we can only play 1 at a time will prove to be wrong.

Solo showed that ISU's D - such as it was - last year was better with him out there even though he's not a rim protector like George. Conditt looked like he was coming on and then kind of faded. He needs more consistency.

Is Foster more of a stretch 4? You guys who have followed him in HS would know that better than I. Could he play with a traditional big?

I think of Conditt and Foster as at least having NBA bodies but I don't really give Solo much of a shot in the League yet most of us feel more comfortable with Solo on the court because of all the intangibles.

The news about Harris is awesome. I look forward to seeing how effective he is on defense as I'm sure he'll be an offensive contributor. I'd love to see that 3-pt percentage of his get up closer to 38% since Matty Ice isn't coming back.

Foster is what irrational ISU b-ball fan think that Conditt is. Better shooter, better shot blocker, better IQ. He will drive “those people” crazy that think if a guy isn’t out there pointing and yelling and throwing themselves into the third row for a ball that manute bol couldn’t save then he isn’t “trying”.

Reactions: Cycl0nepower

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Foster has the highest ceiling on the team, but I do worry about expectations with him this year. Some fans will freak out when he doesn't shoot it like Dirk

Reactions: demoncore1031

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Harris, Bolton, JCL, Johnson, Hinson, Young, and Conditt are all talented enough to be starters. That’s not a bad problem to have, and that’s not factoring in the freshmen yet either.

I think it’s easy for most to assume Conditt won’t start, but it depends on which version of him shows up. If he continues to develop and has a good head on his shoulders he’s an upgrade over Young, who’s a solid starter. He just seemed to give up last year. Hopefully a new season and what should be a more competitive team is good for him. But it did also seem losing Halliburton at PG hindered his production too last year.

Reactions: Cytown12

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Bolton, JCL, Javan J, Hinson, Solo?

I think Harris (PG), JCL (PG), Bolton (SG), Solo(PF), and Hinson(G/F). Little bit smaller lineup but we play better with two ball handlers. Maybe we can mimic what Villanova does with four guards and one big.

Regardless of who starts, having Harris eligible is huge for Iowa State. Better ball handlers and game makers. Can't wait to see how Xavier Foster plays with our guards.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Harris, Bolton, JCL, Johnson, Hinson, Young, and Conditt are all talented enough to be starters. That’s not a bad problem to have, and that’s not factoring in the freshmen yet either.

I think it’s easy for most to assume Conditt won’t start, but it depends on which version of him shows up. If he continues to develop and has a good head on his shoulders he’s an upgrade over Young, who’s a solid starter. He just seemed to give up last year. Hopefully a new season and what should be a more competitive team is good for him. But it did also seem losing Halliburton at PG hindered his production too last year.

I think Conditt is going to surprise all of us. He's on a mission to lead this team. I bet he's going to have a giant leap on his game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think Harris (PG), JCL (PG), Bolton (SG), Solo(PF), and Hinson(G/F). Little bit smaller lineup but we play better with two ball handlers. Maybe we can mimic what Villanova does with four guards and one big.

Regardless of who starts, having Harris eligible is huge for Iowa State. Better ball handlers and game makers. Can't wait to see how Xavier Foster plays with our guards.

This team is going to need games. I hope we get our full allotment.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
This team is going to need games. I hope we get our full allotment.

With the way students have been partying and increasing the COVID rate, I'm not sold on either the football or basketball teams playing every game on the schedule. The NBA was able to create the "bubble" so they could have a playoff. Not sure how college teams can do something even close to that.

allday4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
With the way students have been partying and increasing the COVID rate, I'm not sold on either the football or basketball teams playing every game on the schedule. The NBA was able to create the "bubble" so they could have a playoff. Not sure how college teams can do something even close to that.

#coronabro

gj524

Aug 10, 2018
I think he gained a bunch of weight to go with it too. Cyclones.com still lists him as 223 but he dad said he was around 240. He looks bigger on videos as well. A 240 pound Conditt will be great.
Conditt with another 15-20 lbs (fingers crossed it's muscle...) would be awesome. Would hopefully help him hold up a lot better down low against other Big 12 bigs. Hopefully it allows him to add a more physical aspect to complement his finesse game

kcbob79clone

I mean... if COVID gets into the basketball team and a few of the players contract it and the others have had close contact leading up to the positive tests, they're not going to be allowed to play against other teams. Psiclone is making a very valid statement.

Margin for error is a lot less no doubt. If the football team handles the situation then added pressure on basketball teams. I'm optimistic.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I mean... if COVID gets into the basketball team and a few of the players contract it and the others have had close contact leading up to the positive tests, they're not going to be allowed to play against other teams. Psiclone is making a very valid statement.

Ames has been identified as the country's worst "hot spot." Science/knowledge > superstition/ignorance.

• Dumb
Reactions: weeterkane

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I am guessing Hinson gets a waiver as well. I would guess in that event Harris is coming off the bench. And it will be Bolton, JCL, Hinson, Johnson and Young starting with Harris, Jackson, Conditt/Foster as the top players off the bench. Maybe a guy like Dubar getting spot minutes.

Reactions: Statefan10