Positive *Informative* Covid News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Cases down to 36K yesterday, largely driven by decreases in states that had previous spikes. Once the virus gets through its easy pathways (e.g., young who don't take precautions) numbers seem to stabilize. hopefully the 20% herd immunity number some posit holds true.

View attachment 74742

And yet Iowa is at an all time high for the 7 day average.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
And yet Iowa is at an all time high for the 7 day average.
The pattern seems to indicate every region has a second spike and then levels off. Fauci and others said weeks ago the spike was migrating to the midwest. Hopefully things level off soon.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Agreed about deaths and hospitalizations perhaps being more telling, but I certainly would not be upset by falling case counts, would you?

No I would not, but I will ask a similar question to what you asked me, do you find rising cases positive? Because that is the title of this thread. :)

Reactions: madguy30

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The pattern seems to indicate every region has a second spike and then levels off. Fauci and others said weeks ago the spike was migrating to the midwest. Hopefully things level off soon.

Looking at the timing, it does make sense to me to see a spike. Schools just started, colleges kicked in (a few have yet to start or just did this week), so you will have tests taken that may not have been taken if they were around home. First time out among others and parents and/or kids may feel a little nervous being around larger groups.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The bigger one to watch is deaths, we are still well under the high on that one. Hospitalizations is most telling one, not sure what that is.

Here's the hospitalization data. Highest number hospitalized since early June.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Moderna announced today vaccine showed promising immune response in the most vulnerable, the elderly.

I saw that but is that a repeat release of that news or was that a different company?

I almost avoid these articles any more because every vaccine update comes with a 'shares' report...just annoying that in the end, it still just comes down to that.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Mask mandate working well in Ohio. Hopefully more states make this move.

Correlation does not equal causation. Some states with mask mandates are way up in number of infections.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Correlation does not equal causation. Some states with mask mandates are way up in number of infections.
Yeah I’m in a bad county in Iowa right now but the observed mask usage is at the highest I’ve seen since this began. Something isn’t adding up. Then add in the current trends in the very mask-compliant Asian countries and I’m not sure what to think. I do know the current strain is much more contagious, but I don’t know if that explains everything.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cygrads

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Honest, good faith question here. Any study showing the benefits of mask wearing is based on purely anecdotal evidence. These aren't clinically controlled, double blind studies proving the effectiveness of mask wearing. As far as I know, those studies have never been performed (it's impossible, since the test subjects would obviously know whether they are wearing a mask or not).

So, why is it that mask wearing is widely accepted by medical experts as effective, but hydroxychloroquine isn't, when there is massive anecdotal evidence that it works when given early on in an infection at the right dosage?

Couple studies showing effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine:

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads
Status
Not open for further replies.