NY Times Article about JTS

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I didn't think her comments were derogatory at all. She's done the work to look at the deaths of black football players through a racial lens - which is totally appropriate today. Like she was quoted, we will never know that exact details of Trice's injuries/death, but in 2020, we now know alot more about racism and we can use a racial lens to view the deaths of those black players in the last century. I'm pretty confident that Trice was targeted because of his race. We know that Bright was and Okie State eventually apologized (hell, OSU has a racist coach NOW which is not all that surprising to me.)
How is Gundy racist? Do you actually know him?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
"longer than it should"??

You needed to be at ISU in the 1970's when this first arose. Racism certainly played a role in its "taking so long."

The story did not make ISU look like a bunch of racists. It just exposed how racism impacted the eventual naming of the stadium. A bit of a difference.

The history of naming a freaking stadium after a football player died for ISU parallels the fight for equality for black folks. When the stadium was finished for the 1975 season, it should have been named for Trice right away. My god, it's a great story. But it took a quarter of a century to name a damn football stadium for a black player. I
I was at ISU in the '70's and as I remember, the alums wanted to name the stadium after a major donor, whom I remembering was John Ruan. Since there was such support among the students and faculty for Trice, they compromised with "Cyclone Stadium". I don't believe it was about race as much as it was about money.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Amelia Bloomer of Council Bluffs was another leader in the suffrage movement (previously of Seneca Falls):

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/amelia-bloomer

Bloomers are named after her.

It was a long ago, but growing up, I believe I knew two of her descendants.

She was mentioned regarding a business associate of her husband‘s, Colonel William H. Kinsman, who died at Vicksburg, in a news article yesterday:

https://nonpareilonline.com/lifesty...cle_4ec418d3-11d4-5558-878a-5a3e673b352e.html

Were they named Skivvies and Grunders?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
He wore a shirt from a conservative cable news network. Therefore he is racist. Everybody knows that.

Gundy probably thought he had a right to wear a T shirt with the name of a US news network until his star player told him he couldn't.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I was at ISU in the '70's and as I remember, the alums wanted to name the stadium after a major donor, whom I remembering was John Ruan. Since there was such support among the students and faculty for Trice, they compromised with "Cyclone Stadium". I don't believe it was about race as much as it was about money.
I was at ISU in the 70's also. Race played a part in it.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
So was I...I don't recall race having anything to do with it. It was about money.
"It's about money" was used to cloak the racism behind the resistance to naming the stadium after Trice.

Same argument about confederate statues - "it's not about slavery it's about history." Yeah, sure.

You'll never acknowledge the subtle role that race played in the 1970's. It was there loud and clear.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
"It's about money" was used to cloak the racism behind the resistance to naming the stadium after Trice.

Same argument about confederate statues - "it's not about slavery it's about history." Yeah, sure.

You'll never acknowledge the subtle role that race played in the 1970's. It was there loud and clear.

That's your opinion; tainted by your politics.
If it was "there loud and clear", then it appears from other's comments in this thread that a bunch of us were deaf.

I graduated in 76 and was a journalism major. The Iowa State Daily was all over this story.

There likely were some who were opposed to the idea due to race, but it wasn't the deciding factor. It was money.

According to your logic, one could say racism was the reason the stadium was eventually renamed after Jack Trice.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
That's your opinion; tainted by your politics.
If it was "there loud and clear", then it appears from other's comments in this thread that a bunch of us were deaf.

I graduated in 76 and was a journalism major. The Iowa State Daily was all over this story.

There likely were some who were opposed to the idea due to race, but it wasn't the deciding factor. It was money.

According to your logic, one could say racism was the reason the stadium was eventually renamed after Jack Trice.
Lol no.

Race played a role. That's the point. I was there too.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Lol no.

Race played a role. That's the point. I was there too.
This guy has every right to his opinion, but sometimes opinions are just that. Unless you know Lou McCullough, Pres Parks, whoever was President of the ISU Foundation and have had specific conversations or an elite memory, you have convinced yourself of something that didn't happen. I was there

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I think it would be foolish to say that race did not play at least a small part in not naming it after Trice right away. It was mostly about money, but some of the money people (early big donors, some of whom may still be sitting between the 40s) did not want the stadium named to honor Trice.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Regardless, it's got the correct name today. Now, if we could just get rid of that damn MidAmerican Energy logo on the stadium and field.