Would you succeed in 1900?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Might have been able to hook on with some architect designing the grounds for rich robber barons. Maybe should have paid more attention to that period in my history of landscape architecture classes.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I doubt that you could have gotten a taco from more than a dozen places in the U.S. at that time. Brown bottles weren't used until 1912 for beer so beer got skunky quickly. Pron wasn't readily available until the 70's.

What's the point of this exercise?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Do we have knowledge of events about to happen? That would change a lot of answers.

I would be surprised if most people from today would survive long in 1900.

I think that's a big part of the hypothetical. If I were to be placed in 1900 without having experienced "modern" life I'd maybe be ok. If you put me in 1900 having become accustomed to all the modern amenities, I'd be in trouble.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
To a point it is different, but not as much as people want to believe. Im in my mid to later 40s and outside of knowing how to rub down the horses, I feel that I would have a decent feel on crops. More rotations, which my dad did when I was young. Hogs and cattle still reproduce the same general way, they still eat ground corn and soybean meal. We understand things about genetics with crops and livestock that they had no clue about 120 years ago.

Personally, I think our soil health knowledge would also translate very well to that time.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I can think of two medical conditions that would have killed me by now -- one when I was roughly 7-8 and another that nabs me in young adulthood.

So no, I wouldn't have.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Even the ag folks and engineers would have difficulties. Most current farmers would be SOL. Sure they have lots of agricultural knowledge but how much of it would be relevant? I don't think many farmers nowadays are doing much planting with horses or oxen. Even the livestock people would be hurting. Lots of stuff is very, very different.

Most engineers would be hurting as well. I'm a CE and 95% of what I know wouldn't transfer over. Sure I can design some stuff but sourcing the materials I need to make my designs work would be difficult. I can't call up LaFarge and get Type III cement or BASF for superplasticizers. Welding and bolting was practically unheard of at that time (pretty much all riveting) so there goes that knowledge base. Not to mention that all my drafting has to be by hand.

I guess the pure science people might be advantageous but it would be difficult.

How many engineers can do long-hand math? Slide rule, abacuses, chisenbopp.

I'd have a career as a "futurist" and MAYBE could hack it as a science "fiction" writer???

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'd tell them to put in wi-fi and make the rows BIGGER.

The 70s had decent size seats. Just one problem.... smoking sections
interesting-photos-from-throughout-history-23-photos-14.jpg

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
To a point it is different, but not as much as people want to believe. Im in my mid to later 40s and outside of knowing how to rub down the horses, I feel that I would have a decent feel on crops. More rotations, which my dad did when I was young. Hogs and cattle still reproduce the same general way, they still eat ground corn and soybean meal. We understand things about genetics with crops and livestock that they had no clue about 120 years ago.

I'd think tillage processes could be an instant game changer?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Weird to think we used to fly in our funeral/interview suits.

Would rather have that then some of the things I've seen people wear on planes. People think it's their bedroom or couch or something. Do they not realize they're in public?

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I think I could be a good basketball coach and great football coach (hello forward pass/no huddle, etc). I could not prove I was from the future with any Ag or electronic knowledge -but I would write down all I could about stock market stuff that I would be long dead for -to my descendants to get rich from..

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think that's a big part of the hypothetical. If I were to be placed in 1900 without having experienced "modern" life I'd maybe be ok. If you put me in 1900 having become accustomed to all the modern amenities, I'd be in trouble.

I think the smell alone of a large city and the sewage issues would make me take my own life... Plus I'd get all rashy wearing wool suits in the 90 degree weather...

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
We came across some of my families journals from 1902-1910. They started the family farm in 1860ish. (Still in the family today). There are entries for everyday. Its quite a contrast from today. Most travel was horse and buggy. It was a big thing to see a car. Their first phone was in 1905, party line. Water came from a well (no indoor plumbing) Wood stoves for heat. All work was done by hand and with draft horses.

It would be a tough go. Long days and a lot of physical labor.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
How much could that knowledge mitigate the dust bowl with a 30 year head start?

That would be really tough. You couldn't avoid the drought, that is for sure, you can just limit the damage. Also would need to convince a LOT of farmers relatively quickly with no organized extension service (not until 1914, anyway.)

You'd need to build/invent no-till planters along with effective herbicides during that time.

Other things such as advocating for cover crops/CRP would be great, but I'd need to convince President McKinley to push for incentives to do so.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Do we have knowledge of events about to happen? That would change a lot of answers.

I would be surprised if most people from today would survive long in 1900.

I know people that would possibly need a straight jacket if the were to be without a phone for 2 days.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron