Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
At the end of the day, from a fan standpoint, fans as individuals should determine and accept the responsibility for whether they feel safe in going or not.

The problem with having fan attendance at all is that it undeniably increased the risk of additional cases. Additional cases in and around the Ames area or in and around the area of the rest of the Big 12 schools increases the chances of a cluster/spike of cases within the athletic department/football team.

Positive cases are going to happen, and if they decide to play (which I think they should) they decide to deal with positives as they come up. Risk has to be managed, and part of that has to be the community agreeing to do it's part to control the spread.

Allowing fans in the stadium/tailgating will only serve to increase the risk of the season getting canceled. Have the games with as few people in attendance as possible.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Has anyone heard what the expected enrollment is for this fall with all the virus discussion?

The academic side of things could be a lot worse than the projections JP mentions if the student numbers drop by 10-15%.

I hope the team really gets along well, it sounds like they are going to be spending a lot more time than normal together!

Exactly....in theory, an AD can throw some perks to donors that help save....where as big budget cuts for some academic departments could be the end

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The problem with having fan attendance at all is that it undeniably increased the risk of additional cases. Additional cases in and around the Ames area or in and around the area of the rest of the Big 12 schools increases the chances of a cluster/spike of cases within the athletic department/football team.

Positive cases are going to happen, and if they decide to play (which I think they should) they decide to deal with positives as they come up. Risk has to be managed, and part of that has to be the community agreeing to do it's part to control the spread.

Allowing fans in the stadium/tailgating will only serve to increase the risk of the season getting canceled. Have the games with as few people in attendance as possible.

Yeah, I've been holding out that we just need to find a way to have the games and get them on TV so we at least can get a big 12/espn check....big loss on game day gates, concessions, Ames economy, but for our AD, you'd think the ESPN check is huge.

Also, this always gets me thinking of all the lawyers that have to figure out the impact,etc. I can just see the call to Bowsby from ESPN "hey...thought I'd check in...noticed we are losing some games and tv time...so....yeah....how does $5 mil a school sound this year?" lol

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Asked in the other thread--what's the estimate of ISU fans/alumni across the country that could afford to donate between $50-100?

This is assuming these same people, even if not attending games, can afford to go to bars etc. where they'd spend that kind of money on a pretty regular basis.

How many can? Probably the vast majority.

How many will? Probably the ones already donating.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
This is Jamie Pollard's way of saying "We need football or there may never be football again for a lot of schools".

ISU will survive without a year of football; however...

Bye bye state of Iowa sports media.
Bye bye most other sports at ISU
Bye bye MAC and Mountain west conferences; most FCS schools
Bye bye big development project that they had in the works

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I thought it was good. I like how he laid out the costs, and the point about the athletes possibly being better off in Ames was good.

Business isn’t my cup of tea, but I’m wondering if the state could give them a waiver or something on the restriction of not letting them go into debt for operating costs. Not ideal, but considering they can go into debt to keep up with the Joneses in the college sports arms race, I don’t it see it as a big problem.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
doesn't sound like the AD has money saved up for times like these

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And people have only been going out for essential activities? I'd say about 50% of blame should be on people. We aren't arresting people for not wearing masks, etc. That will just never happen. Do you hammer on any friends or family who refuse to wear masks?

We shouldn't be arresting people for not wearing masks. We should be fining them.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
This seems pretty easy tbh. If students are allowed on campus, sports can be played. If they're not, no sports. That simple.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What are you talking about? Not for profits can set aside money!!!!!! I've audited 100's of not for profits and all of then have different funds set aside for the future.

Plus it's a department within the university. Just because it doesn't use taxpayer funds (now) doesn't mean it is some sort of stand alone organization outside of the university.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
another thing this virus has taught me is that I think there is going to be a much harder approval process for universities throughout the country to build/improve facilities after this. I am glad ISU snuck in what they did because Jack Trice may look the same for awhile.
I was really hoping Hilton would get a new video board, but that may have to wait...
this is all so depressing.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
What are you talking about? Not for profits can set aside money!!!!!! I've audited 100's of not for profits and all of then have different funds set aside for the future.
This is the correct answer.

Just because you are a non-profit or not-for-profit, it doesn't mean you can set up reserve funds in order to plan for the future. The set aside and the use of the money must be voted on by a quorum of the board of directors and it's not appropriate or legal to use that money to reimburse officers of the non-profit. The money that is raised must be used for the purposes stated in the articles of incorporation of the non-profit. It's totally legal and appropriate to reimburse the staff and the expenses of running the organization.

Non-profits are businesses. If they don't bring in enough money to cover the salaries, expenses and services they are required to provide, they fold.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Not that it matters much in the bigger picture but what is the fiscal year for the Athletic Department? School year? Calendar year?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
40% of the conference calls Texas home, their numbers are exploding down there, Dallas county alone had 1000 new cases yesterday, and Houston had even more.
We are two weeks from the start of fall camp and people think we can still have a season?
It really does not matter what the numbers are in Iowa or Kansas, the only states that matter are Texas and Oklahoma, they make up 60% of the conference teams, and those are trending up, and until they drop substantially we will not be playing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron