Jeep wrangler(s)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Bought a Sport Unlimited 3 summers ago, wife thought she would hate it, but loves it and tends to prefer it to the Toyota. Freedom panels are a huge plus, and although the 18 mpg and road noise may be a concern, just turn the radio up as it will be one of the most fun rides you will own. Just make sure to wave to the other Wranglers!
Too many Jeeps out west for the waving to be a thing, but otherwise I agree with you :)

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Had a 98 when I met my wife most fun car I had owned. Kids then no Wrangler. A day ago picked up my new/used 18 unlimited JL and love it. Spent the last 2 nights with hard top and doors off cruising. Got it put back together tonight and ready for rain tomorrow.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
If you are looking for a comfortable SUV to explore the back country with look at the 4runner. I do a ton of offroading (rock crawling) and overlanding (more what you described). I have had jeeps and Toyotas. I will never own another Jeep. The problems were non stop. I had to get rid of my wrangler at 80k miles. My FJ has 300K and my 4runner has 100K. Both still run like a champ. Also the 4runner is far more comfortable on and offroad. My FJ rides more like a Jeep. As I mentioned i offroad and overland, and each of my vehicles is built for their specific purpose and how they ride is based on their build. Not to say jeeps are bad cars, but you will get more life out of a 4runner.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Scratching an itch for my move (Thursday!!!!) to CoSprings and thinking about a new(er) jeep. Actually it's for my wife and I'm stuck with my WAY sexy Honda CR-V (but I have the touring package so THAT "helps"). I'm less interested in hearing about reliability issues (I drove a range rover for years and had an earlier version of the grand cherokee) but more in the different package levels.

We won't be "off-roaders", no rock crawling but do expect to explore more back country so want SOME of that celebrated Jeep off-roadedness... Also want the ability to drive the thing comfortably cross county if needed.

Anyone with insight on the higher levels of jeep like the Rubicon? My guess is it will be overkill for what I think we want to do, but curious of others experience.
Get a Grand Cherokee if you're dead set on a nice Jeep. It's got everything you want for the mountain assuming you're not tearing it up on the weekends.

I would recommend a nice new truck though. I have a base model 2018 Ram 1500 and it is so nice. I rented a 2019 Laramie in Denver last year for a week, I actually preferred my own truck's handling and feel, but the cab options when they are loaded is nice. Having a bed is always nice when you suddenly have a need to move something.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
If you are looking for a comfortable SUV to explore the back country with look at the 4runner. I do a ton of offroading (rock crawling) and overlanding (more what you described). I have had jeeps and Toyotas. I will never own another Jeep. The problems were non stop. I had to get rid of my wrangler at 80k miles. My FJ has 300K and my 4runner has 100K. Both still run like a champ. Also the 4runner is far more comfortable on and offroad. My FJ rides more like a Jeep. As I mentioned i offroad and overland, and each of my vehicles is built for their specific purpose and how they ride is based on their build. Not to say jeeps are bad cars, but you will get more life out of a 4runner.

The 4Runner guy in a Jeep conversation is like the random Iowa guy at Iowa State events. There is always one. Nobody really knows why he is there, and everyone just ignores him.

*****Joking***** 4Runners are awesome. You just buy Jeeps for different reasons than you buy 4Runners.

Reactions: BigBake

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The 4Runner guy in a Jeep conversation is like the random Iowa guy at Iowa State events. There is always one. Nobody really knows why he is there, and everyone just ignores him.

*****Joking***** 4Runners are awesome. You just buy Jeeps for different reasons than you buy 4Runners.

It's either 4Runner guy or Tacoma guy. Always trying to add in why their rig is far superior. Easiest way to get them to leave is ignore them or ask them how they take the roof off on nice days.

Kidding as well. I looked at both tacomas and 4runners when I bought my jeep (as well as the Xterra). Didn't like the seating position in the tacoma and didn't love the 4Runner either. Plus I was single, 28, and living in NY just outside of the mountains so why wouldn't I get something where I could take the doors and top off?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
It's either 4Runner guy or Tacoma guy. Always trying to add in why their rig is far superior. Easiest way to get them to leave is ignore them or ask them how they take the roof off on nice days.

Kidding as well. I looked at both tacomas and 4runners when I bought my jeep (as well as the Xterra). Didn't like the seating position in the tacoma and didn't love the 4Runner either. Plus I was single, 28, and living in NY just outside of the mountains so why wouldn't I get something where I could take the doors and top off?

All about priorities! If I was single, 28, and near the mountains, that might shift the balance.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I tried to have both, a 4runner and Jeep. Got close but Toyota was too cheap to install a 6 way power passenger seat. So if you're tall (over 6ft) your head is basically in the roof with no way to adjust.

4Runners, Jeeps and Tacoma's are very popular with the off road crowd in DSM. I had my Jeep on a motocross track and off road the other weekend. The jeep was doing better than some Toyotas due to a better approach angle. One guy in a Tacoma more or less damaged his bumper going thru a mud hole. For most trails though any of those vehicles would be fine for some fire roads and double track.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I envy every Jeep owner I see when it's a beautiful day and they are driving around like they're in a commercial...most likely on their way to the gas station to fill up or just getting back from having it fixed. :cool:

I've owned two Wranglers and never again. They are FUN. They aren't fun to use as a daily driver.

At this point in my life, I'm a brand loyalist and it sits with Toyota. I've owned a Land Cruiers, Tacoma, FJ, 4Runner, Sienna and Highlander. Favorite is the LC. Next would be 4Runner...

But IF I was forced to get a Jeep, I'd get the new Gladiator Rubicon.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix

I agree that you buy a 4Runner for different reasons than a Jeep. For his use case the 4Runner would be a better fit. A better debate is Wrangler vs FJ. I have had both, and the Wrangler offers more mods to make is far more capable, but out of the box they are both very similar from a capability standpoint. With that being said all it takes is money and you can make a Miata capable.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I envy every Jeep owner I see when it's a beautiful day and they are driving around like they're in a commercial...most likely on their way to the gas station to fill up or just getting back from having it fixed. :cool:

I've owned two Wranglers and never again. They are FUN. They aren't fun to use as a daily driver.

At this point in my life, I'm a brand loyalist and it sits with Toyota. I've owned a Land Cruiers, Tacoma, FJ, 4Runner, Sienna and Highlander. Favorite is the LC. Next would be 4Runner...

But IF I was forced to get a Jeep, I'd get the new Gladiator Rubicon.

At this point in my life I am pretty brand loyal to Toyota as well. The reliably is unmatched. I have both a FJ and a 4Runner. My wife just traded in her Highlander for a GX460. In fact just yesterday I was test driving a Tundra. I wont get it because I love the other 2 too much and cant decide which I would get rid of.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I tried to have both, a 4runner and Jeep. Got close but Toyota was too cheap to install a 6 way power passenger seat. So if you're tall (over 6ft) your head is basically in the roof with no way to adjust.

4Runners, Jeeps and Tacoma's are very popular with the off road crowd in DSM. I had my Jeep on a motocross track and off road the other weekend. The jeep was doing better than some Toyotas due to a better approach angle. One guy in a Tacoma more or less damaged his bumper going thru a mud hole. For most trails though any of those vehicles would be fine for some fire roads and double track.

You cant compare the Jeep to 4Runner and Tacoma offroad. The Jeep wins everytime. I am very sad they got rid of the FJ, as it was the last true competitor of the Wrangler in the US(at least until we see the new Bronco). Living in Arizona I offroad a ton (going tonight), and depending on the trail i will be on depends on which vehicle I drive.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

My wife used to have a Mini and she LOVED it. Funner than hell to drive but I was always concerned about safety. Her only "want" now is something that looks unique and the rest of the stuff doesn't matter. I want her to like her car but most importantly be safe. If I had my druthers she'd be in a Subaru. Having owned 3 outbacks through the years I've never found a better car in the snow. But 2 of 3 of those had head gasket issues at 70,000 miles which soured her to them.

I'm leaning towards a 2-door Sport S (for her) based only on internet stuff but will need to drive a few and start the pricing research. The rubicons look bad-assss but seems way overkill ( not to mention $$$$$$$) for her daily driver and our weekend trail adventures.

I'm intrigued by the new Bronco but I've routinely shied away from "new" models.

Meanwhile I will continue to drive my rolling sex machine - the 2017 CR-V Touring edition in the same blue-grey color as EVERY other copy and paste "SUV" - proudly showing the world I am absolutely NOT trying to over compensate for any short-comings in any areas of my life. Super practical and all the stupid gadgets but it honestly registers a solid zero on the thrill-o-meter.

Prior to the sex machine I ran a Range Rover Sport for 5 years. Never had a nicer car and I've never had a car that I loved so much up until the $5,000 estimate to fix some weird suspension stuff at - strangely enough - 70,000 miles.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
At this point in my life I am pretty brand loyal to Toyota as well. The reliably is unmatched. I have both a FJ and a 4Runner. My wife just traded in her Highlander for a GX460. In fact just yesterday I was test driving a Tundra. I wont get it because I love the other 2 too much and cant decide which I would get rid of.

well, the new Tundra in a couple years might be better than the current...either way, you aren't losing if you get into a new one. :)

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
My wife used to have a Mini and she LOVED it. Funner than hell to drive but I was always concerned about safety. Her only "want" now is something that looks unique and the rest of the stuff doesn't matter. I want her to like her car but most importantly be safe. If I had my druthers she'd be in a Subaru. Having owned 3 outbacks through the years I've never found a better car in the snow. But 2 of 3 of those had head gasket issues at 70,000 miles which soured her to them.

I'm leaning towards a 2-door Sport S (for her) based only on internet stuff but will need to drive a few and start the pricing research. The rubicons look bad-assss but seems way overkill ( not to mention $$$$$$$) for her daily driver and our weekend trail adventures.

I'm intrigued by the new Bronco but I've routinely shied away from "new" models.

Meanwhile I will continue to drive my rolling sex machine - the 2017 CR-V Touring edition in the same blue-grey color as EVERY other copy and paste "SUV" - proudly showing the world I am absolutely NOT trying to over compensate for any short-comings in any areas of my life. Super practical and all the stupid gadgets but it honestly registers a solid zero on the thrill-o-meter.

Prior to the sex machine I ran a Range Rover Sport for 5 years. Never had a nicer car and I've never had a car that I loved so much up until the $5,000 estimate to fix some weird suspension stuff at - strangely enough - 70,000 miles.

this makes me laugh...becaue I've had the CR-V and felt the same way! AND, my wife had a LR LR4 that was CONSTANTLY costing us money. Beautiful rig and awesome to drive...but it was literally a POS once things started going wrong...before 20k miles.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
You cant compare the Jeep to 4Runner and Tacoma offroad. The Jeep wins everytime. I am very sad they got rid of the FJ, as it was the last true competitor of the Wrangler in the US(at least until we see the new Bronco). Living in Arizona I offroad a ton (going tonight), and depending on the trail i will be on depends on which vehicle I drive.

Yes, you won't see 4Runners or Tacoma's rock crawling.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Scratching an itch for my move (Thursday!!!!) to CoSprings and thinking about a new(er) jeep. Actually it's for my wife and I'm stuck with my WAY sexy Honda CR-V (but I have the touring package so THAT "helps"). I'm less interested in hearing about reliability issues (I drove a range rover for years and had an earlier version of the grand cherokee) but more in the different package levels.

We won't be "off-roaders", no rock crawling but do expect to explore more back country so want SOME of that celebrated Jeep off-roadedness... Also want the ability to drive the thing comfortably cross county if needed.

Anyone with insight on the higher levels of jeep like the Rubicon? My guess is it will be overkill for what I think we want to do, but curious of others experience.

My wife and I made the terrible decision to come back to Iowa after living in CoS to be around our stupid families once the first kid was born. Crazy thing was moving there and two houses down lived Pantherhoks.

My experience was in the area you could either get anywhere with a reasonable 4WD. Definitely some places in the San Isabel forest and between Canon City and Walsenburg where a Wrangler would be handy.

Granted up in the high ground in the CoS having no doors or roof would be incredible.

Have a brew at Phantom Canyon for me.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
2015 Wrangler, been daily driver for the last 5.5 years and 150k miles. This includes an hour of highway commuting for work each day.
Rough ride? Check
Wind noise? Check
16.8mpg? Check
Fun? Check
Turning into a money pit? Eh..

20200710_201220.jpg

Attachments

• 20200710_201220.jpg
    20200710_201220.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 1