Grinnell cancels fall sports

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have said that DIII sports is basically taking HS and getting rid of the kids who never started. Many of these schools would not exist if it wasn’t for sports now. Why pay 25k to go to a central/Simpson when you can pay 20k to go to a regents school? I had a talk to a Waldorf admissions officer several years ado when they were in financial trouble. I asked why they didnt drop sports, was told that 83% of their students are in a sport so they couldn’t. My son had a scholly at an NAIA and chose ISU in the end, he realized that his degree from ISU would serve him much better than the small school and that he would need to quit playing sometime.

I walked away from D2 for the same reason. It’s nice to have fun, but unless you are getting college paid for, I believe it’s better to consider your degree first. DIII sports are basically glorified HS sports.

That's kinda where I was too although at places like Central/Wartburg/Simpson most players were stars at small high schools that were just outside of D2 talent (some were recruited D1) or they just wanted to play right away. If it was a good experience for them, great, but unless you're playing a lot you find yourself standing on the sidelines thinking about how fun that D1 game would be to watch instead.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's kinda where I was too although at places like Central/Wartburg/Simpson most players were stars at small high schools that were just outside of D2 talent (some were recruited D1) or they just wanted to play right away. If it was a good experience for them, great, but unless you're playing a lot you find yourself standing on the sidelines thinking about how fun that D1 game would be to watch instead.

My son had an adult moment and asked about placement offices, wanted to know about internships and job placements (I have preached this stuff for a long time). The NAIA school was deer in the headlights basically whereas ISU was excited he asked. That really made him think long term.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My son had an adult moment and asked about placement offices, wanted to know about internships and job placements (I have preached this stuff for a long time). The NAIA school was deer in the headlights basically whereas ISU was excited he asked. That really made him think long term.

Yeah I wish I had that outlook at the time although I at least had a major picked out (that I changed after 2.5 years, haha). Or just looked around more in general.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I’ve seen Grinnell college Men’s basketball and track. They aren’t good at all. My track times in 3A high school would have placed me as high or higher at Grinnell college track meets. Their basketball is tough to watch. Teams like Coe and Wartburg would crush them.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Haven't read the whole thread but most small privates - that don't have the name of Grinnell - are in a precarious financial situation. This seems like a no-brainer for them. Their sports all cost them money but there's the expectation to have some athletics. With COVID-19, they can push back against that expectation and save the money on all that travel and insurance while using the pandemic as a rationalization. Plus, there are legit medical reasons to play it safe.