Space X/NASA launch

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Not trying to be political, but seems like sometimes a private/public partnership can really work wonders if done correctly.

It can also result in complete corruption.

Like all human endeavors, the result depends on the humans involved...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
They are also getting a long ways towards developing human organs on the space station with 3d printer and human skin cells. They say this goes much better and quicker in zero gravity.

Personally, I think Trump showing up jinxed it.... he doesn't believe in science either.

Bactine and a band-aid won us every word war ever. Nobody needs space-grown breast implants. We'll, I'd need to see a picture first.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Bridenstine is the one (and only) person in the trump administration who impresses me. He has demonstrated relative independence from trump and not enforced trump's war on intellectualism. When trump appointed him, I was afraid that he would carry trump's war on knowledge of the facts of global warming and climate change to NASA, but Bridenstine has not done that. Bridenstine has also demonstrated that he is unafraid to take on the entrenched "old space" companies like Boeing and ULA when when needed.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Bridenstine is the one (and only) person in the trump administration who impresses me. He has demonstrated relative independence from trump and not enforced trump's war on intellectualism. When trump appointed him, I was afraid that he would carry trump's war on knowledge of the facts of global warming and climate change to NASA, but Bridenstine has not done that. Bridenstine has also demonstrated that he is unafraid to take on the entrenched "old space" companies like Boeing and ULA when when needed.

Agree. And after launch was scrubbed today he said that no matter what VIP's are in attendance..... they will not launch unless it is 100% safe to do so.

I'd imagine he might have been talking about Trump being there.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Another chance to launch today at 2:22. Weather looks like it might not cooperate again, is about a 50% chance to launch.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Wow, I wasn’t expecting to get emotional watching this. Pretty freaking cool.

Reactions: aauummm

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Booster rocket successfully landed on the cargo ship. F***ing amazing. I was bummed the camera crapped out so we couldn't see it.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Been watching these things my entire life, I'm still blown away each time it happens. Amazing stuff.

I'm also still amazed after all of these years what it looks from 125 miles up. 125 miles is a short trip here on terra firma...their view looks like they're next to the moon.

I wish there was a better way to see/feel/experience the acceleration. When they're really climbing and ripping through 2, 3 and 4,000 mph...that's gotta be something.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Been watching these things my entire life, I'm still blown away each time it happens. Amazing stuff.

I'm also still amazed after all of these years what it looks from 125 miles up. 125 miles is a short trip here on terra firma...their view looks like they're next to the moon.

I wish there was a better way to see/feel/experience the acceleration. When they're really climbing and ripping through 2, 3 and 4,000 mph...that's gotta be something.
I don't remember seeing footage from inside the "cockpit" before. Was this the first time? They looked waaaaay more relaxed than I imagine during the launch. Movies make it look like a struggle to stay alive with the G-forces, uncontrollable shaking, eyes bulging, etc..

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The 2nd stage of the rocket must just stay up in orbit then, right? I was thinking both stages would land back on Earth for some reason?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I don't remember seeing footage from inside the "cockpit" before. Was this the first time? They looked waaaaay more relaxed than I imagine during the launch. Movies make it look like a struggle to stay alive with the G-forces, uncontrollable shaking, eyes bulging, etc..

There is some absolutely incredible footage from the cockpits from the Apollo missions. Now that’s a big rocket. You’d love it. There are several great documentaries out there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron