Attendance policy from JP...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Pretty sure there's been seasons at ISU where 30,000 was normal so given the circumstances that would be pretty good.

In the Jim Walden era, esp Late season games, you would be lucky to draw 15,000 fans......Actual fans not tickets sold....

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
The facts regarding the virus this fall, combined with my perception of the thoroughness of ISU’s risk mitigation plans will determine my attendance. Bought my tickets long ago.
I will be 68 years old this fall. I've missed just one game in over 30 years (the Colorado blizzard game). I've bought tickets and can't imagine not going, but I have to be convinced I'm not taking on too much risk. I have back row seats which helps. I want to hear what the plan is.

I'm an optimist and feel infections will have died down at the start of the season. I'm more worried about what happens if the virus comes back strong as we head toward winter.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
My prediction for the tailgating situation.
Formal request to not come if you do not have tickets to the game.
Heightened security.
Tickets checked along side the parking pass to ensure passengers match number of Tix.
No scalping around the stadium.
Only concrete lots open.

Agree with all but I question the last - is there enough space to distance for 30k just on paved lots?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I will be 68 years old this fall. I've missed just one game in over 30 years (the Colorado blizzard game). I've bought tickets and can't imagine not going, but I have to be convinced I'm not taking on too much risk. I have back row seats which helps. I want to hear what the plan is.

I'm an optimist and feel infections will have died down at the start of the season. I'm more worried about what happens if the virus comes back strong as we head toward winter.
Kudos to you on your attendance. I have missed 5 games in 51 years. I missed that Colorado game too. Had a 100 mile drive, turned around after about 15 miles, could not find the road. I may be more of a pessimist than you, as I see too many people acting irresponsibly. But - let’s see what the next months bring. Until then - be safe.

Reactions: NWICY and Psyclone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I'm literally the farthest away you can be and already renewed. Pretty happy no one will be taking my seats.

Yeah, the more I'm reading the more I think if we've already purchased we're safe. I was just concerned with the possibility of 30k+ Cyclone Club donors bumping those of us who aren't donors out this season. You'd think if given the choice, they'd select those who pay the most to attend, but would make sense to allow those who purchased early even if at a lower price. Especially since some of the seats used are going to end up being cheapos.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

I am surprised by the amount of people on here that appear to have concrete plans to attend if allowed, even with no changes in the current situation.

Of course we are months away and maybe some are just being optimistic about what may happen, but I have seen no actual evidence, results or data that tells me anything has changed.

Just because people are sick of quarantine and want to eat out and get haircuts doesn't make putting 30,000 people together in a relatively small area safe or a great idea.

Until something changes with the actual treatment and/or prevention of the disease, I will have to think about my family's health and watch on TV.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
The new date for renewing your tickets is now June 12th, as of yesterday. They pushed it back from May 29th.
I am sure lots of folks have been waiting to renew and waiting for guidance. I renewed in March because that was when the old due date was and I had the money to write a single check at the time. Not all folks could do that, and now there are lots of options to spread out the payments. It's understandable lots of folks would wait. And now there are lots of options to put people at ease related to their ticket status for next year.

To me, it seems our athletic department has done a very good job regarding all of this.

My plan is to go to the games if at all possible, wear a mask if required or if it makes me and my family feel better about attending, sit wherever I am asked to sit, and park wherever I am asked to park.

My regular seats are great and so is my usual parking area, but if I am asked to walk a bit more to make things safer for everyone, I will do it. If we have to move a few sections from game to game, well, that seems to be not that much of a bother to be able to go to games and cheer on the Cyclones.

And if it is deemed not safe enough to attend games, then we will get a refund. And folks who don't feel safe to attend, then they don't have to.

I hope things are completely back to normal by fall and anyone who wants to buy a ticket can buy a ticket and attend games. But I also realize that things could get worse and no one will attend games because no students are attending classes. Much like that past two-plus months have shown us, things can change quickly as our understanding of the virus changes.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I am surprised by the amount of people on here that appear to have concrete plans to attend if allowed, even with no changes in the current situation.

Of course we are months away and maybe some are just being optimistic about what may happen, but I have seen no actual evidence, results or data that tells me anything has changed.

Just because people are sick of quarantine and want to eat out and get haircuts doesn't make putting 30,000 people together in a relatively small area safe or a great idea.

Until something changes with the actual treatment and/or prevention of the disease, I will have to think about my family's health and watch on TV.

my family has been very conservative in our approach to the reopenings. i am hoping for the best and since i've already bought my tickets, what am i going to do - cancel my tickets now? if things change i can cancel later on.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The facts regarding the virus this fall, combined with my perception of the thoroughness of ISU’s risk mitigation plans will determine my attendance. Bought my tickets long ago.

yes, this is me too. I thought Jamie took this very seriously at first. And while I agree that Iowa State can’t guarantee anything, I do expect them to take things seriously and not decide since they can’t eliminate risk, they might as well do nothing.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

Respect that decision. We already purchased when it opened up in early March. We also fall at about an 8 or 9 in how seriously we are taking the quarantine, which is why I was surprised that my wife wanted to keep the tickets instead of trying to get our money back. My parents will be staying home though.

1. If we are still treading water on covid like we are now, we would probably try to sell the tickets.
2. If cases do actually drop and there is evidence where outdoor transmissions are low we may go if there are good protocols in place. We'd likely severely limit tailgating, wear masks, etc.
3. Our kids will likely be in school this fall so we are mentally preparing for it to run through our house. Trying to get ourselves as healthy as possible before then. If it does run through the house and we know we aren't contagious, I would be full go if evidence is there that you won't get it twice.

Reactions: Macloney

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

We bought our tickets as always. We'll see how we feel when we get closer to it. I'll be interesting to see what kind of therapies get developed in the next 3 months. I'm not going to jump the gun either way. If there is a spike in cases that threatens the healthcare system, I think I'd have something to consider come September.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
3. Our kids will likely be in school this fall so we are mentally preparing for it to run through our house. Trying to get ourselves as healthy as possible before then. If it does run through the house and we know we aren't contagious, I would be full go if evidence is there that you won't get it twice.

Prepare for more online/remote learning. Fully expecting localized temporary shutdowns in some areas and possibly widespread and long duration ones in DSM metro. I believe this will be the case and at the same time have renewed my football tickets.

I'm hoping the same offer is up for basketball this winter. I'd love to punt a year on my renewal and still keep my seats for 2021-22. Being indoors with 7000 fans during is far more risky than being outdoors with 30000.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Prepare for more online/remote learning. Fully expecting localized temporary shutdowns in some areas and possibly widespread and long duration ones in DSM metro. I believe this will be the case and at the same time have renewed my football tickets.

I'm hoping the same offer is up for basketball this winter. I'd love to punt a year on my renewal and still keep my seats for 2021-22. Being indoors with 7000 fans during is far more risky than being outdoors with 30000.

Agreed. I'd even be willing to pay a portion for my basketball seats if it means I get to keep them. Truthfully, I'd probably pay full price and just not use them to make sure I get them in the future.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Kudos to you on your attendance. I have missed 5 games in 51 years. I missed that Colorado game too. Had a 100 mile drive, turned around after about 15 miles, could not find the road. I may be more of a pessimist than you, as I see too many people acting irresponsibly. But - let’s see what the next months bring. Until then - be safe.

I just want to say I applaud you two and you guys are awesome.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
my family has been very conservative in our approach to the reopenings. i am hoping for the best and since i've already bought my tickets, what am i going to do - cancel my tickets now? if things change i can cancel later on.
With no single game ticket sales and the cap on season tickets I don't think you will have any trouble finding buyers for your tickets if you decide not to attend. Probably can sell for a premium unlike other years when it would be hard for you to get even face value.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Iowa has not released any sort of public limited capacity plan, so comparing ISU to Iowa seems silly at this point. Not that I am surprised, as Blum has always come off as irrationally hating Iowa to the point of ignoring common sense.

what IS concerning is only selling 22k tickets thus far. Like, big time concerning. I totally agree with the posters who suggested that he is try to use the supply side to sell more tickets. I don’t know if it’s health related or economics, but I saw 22k and thought it was a typo.

Hi, this is Brent. This is from the Des Moines Reigster,
"What about fans who are uncomfortable attending games in 2020 but want to return in 2021?
Henderson said the university has fielded many such calls.

Fans who fall into this category will receive points credit for a year of purchase for 2020 (three points in the priority system Iowa uses for seat selections), provided they return in 2021.

However, there is no guarantee that your 2019 seats would be available in 2021."

So seems pretty clear there is a difference in approach. Thanks for posting on CycloneFanatic.com.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We're in the same boat. We paid for our tickets & donation in March. We WANT to be there. We HOPE to be there. But if people don't at least TRY to practice mitigation efforts, it's really going to come down to "is it worth the risk to our health?" That will be a decision we will have to make, based on the fact that both of us are considered "high risk". :(

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Agree with all but I question the last - is there enough space to distance for 30k just on paved lots?
1 car =/= 1 fan. There should be fewer cars in there since there are fewer fans. Not sure how "spaced" they can be, though. You're probably right about that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron