***General Cycling Thread***

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
I will echo the previous advice to take some time to go to a few bike shops and ride some stuff to see what you like.

If I was going to buy one bike with the flexibility to do "everything", I think I'd look hard at the cyclocross/gravel bike space... that gets you drop bars and road-style controls with enough frame/fork clearance you can run slightly wider tires when/if desired. You can put smooth skinny tires on a cross/gravel bike but can't really go the other way on a road frame... not that there's anything wrong with a road bike if you have no desire to ever go off pavement, but it will be a pure one trick pony. Though there are a lot of nice paved trails around, there are also some with paving that has started to deteriorate and been chip sealed, and some that are gravel or crushed limestone. If you get out of central Iowa, it seems like unpaved trails (or at least unpaved sections) are more the norm. A skinny road tire will go across crushed limestone reasonably safely if it's well crushed and packed in, but any larger rocks or loose gravel and things can get dicey in a hurry.

Cross/gravel bike will also most likely have disc brakes, which though I have no personal experience with disc brakes on a bike I can tell you it's no fun to get caught out in a cold rain and then have to deathgrip the brake levers to even begin to slow the bike down.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The better question is how much room do you have in your garage? It seems like bikes breed like rabbits.

You'll end up with a road bike, some sort of hybrid/cyclocross bike, a mountain bike, and then maybe a fat bike so you can ride trails in the winter. Oh, and some sort of cruiser so you can ride with the kids, and then a crappier bike of your favorite variety so you can loan it to a friend so they can come riding with you...

Reactions: NWICY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Good thread...lots of good information. I just have an older Trek 400 road bike that I found in the parking garage of my apartment building several years ago (landlords let me have it) that I got basically restored and it works great but at times I think of upgrading.
I think that is my bike...:eek:

Reactions: madguy30

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I like Kyle the most out of any bike guy out there. He's a great guy.
That said, I do like Bike World for selection.

We went to the state fair in 2014. I bought a Trek Domane 2.0 from Bike World and my wife got a Specialized from Kyle's. Both great places and took their time with us. We live in CR and Hall's does our tune ups, etc..

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I live in DSM and looking at getting into riding as well. I know someone already mentioned Kyle's Bikes in Ankeny. Any other good local places you recommend around here who can educate and help me find a quality bike?

Skunk River Cycle downtown Ames is solid.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Still have my hybrid from two wheel cycle in Ames.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
The better question is how much room do you have in your garage? It seems like bikes breed like rabbits.

You'll end up with a road bike, some sort of hybrid/cyclocross bike, a mountain bike, and then maybe a fat bike so you can ride trails in the winter. Oh, and some sort of cruiser so you can ride with the kids, and then a crappier bike of your favorite variety so you can loan it to a friend so they can come riding with you...
Lol. I check all of those boxes and a couple more.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I have a 10ish year old Specialized Allez and I love it. I needed a large bike frame being 6’6” and this one fit. Finding bikes and equipment for larger people suuuucks. I used to put, at minimum, 150 miles per week for a few years after I bought it but that fell off after having kids and all that. Finally got it back out this summer.

I sold off a Marin 29er hardtail for dirt cheap a few years ago and regret it now. It was a really nice bike to ride when paved trails weren’t available.

I will reiterate that whatever you buy, go to a real bike shop. One that will fit it to you and do a good job. It’s amazing how many more miles you can put in with a bike that’s fitted to your body. I used to go to the bike shop out in Waukee across the street from fareway on Hickman but I think they closed shop quite awhile ago. I had skunk river tune my bike up a couple years ago and they seemed good. I got zero instruction or fitting from Scheels when I bought the bike originally.

Last edited:

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
First, if you are riding with friends, get a bike that accommodates that style/event...otherwise you wont enjoy getting dropped and will lose interest. If your friends are doing road and trail, get a road bike...HOWEVER, the most flexible design and all around bike, for the most part, is a gravel type bike...Diverge or Checkpoints are great. Surly has a gravel bike... with this setup, you can get a second wheel set for wide tires and another set for road tires.and then you have the best of both worlds. Gravel is a blast btw...more fun than road and trails...less cars and rookies. I do a lot by myself too. Very peaceful riding a level B in the middle of nowhere. Lots of gravel races these days if you have an interest in that too. Kyles in Ankeny is a great place to start.

This! If I only had one bike it would be my CX bike (Specialized Crux) with two sets of rims for road and off road. That being said, I almost exclusively ride a fat bike and ss mtn bike I built up.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I haven’t read the whole thread and have been out of serious biking for awhile so I just have to ask the question. What’s the appeal of the bikes with the super wide tires? Is it just an increased workout?

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Step 1: Buy a tight-fitting bike jersey. You need to establish that all-important connection to the community from the jump-off, making sure everyone at the brewery knows you own a bicycle.

Step 2: Wear only calf-height socks with shorts for at least 3 weeks straight to get the hang of it.

Step 3: Buy a bicycle so that you may talk about your new bicycle while having a pint.

----

As a several alluded to here already, find a reputable bike shop locally and talk their ears off. Attend a demo day, borrow a friends ride for a day, rent a few different bikes to get the right fit and feel for you and what you're most comfortable with (wheel size, pedal style, suspension, etc...).

Try before you buy, and buy used. If you get into the sport seriously (trail or road) you're likely going to be swapping out parts relatively soon based on style of ride for a particular season and as you discover more about your own personal preferences. So don't invest thousands up front for a shiny new rig.

Reactions: FatNTired

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I haven’t read the whole thread and have been out of serious biking for awhile so I just have to ask the question. What’s the appeal of the bikes with the super wide tires? Is it just an increased workout?

Fat tires allow you to navigate terrain and seasonal conditions you otherwise wouldn't dare to on a typical road tire or average trail tire.

They give a slower, smoother ride than road tires, and since you have a larger surface contact area and ride them at a much lower tire pressure you gain traction much more effectively through loose gravel, ice, or snow, and rolling over rocks and branches is made easier with the added benefit of being far less likely to puncture/pop a a tire on such hazards.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Fat tires allow you to navigate terrain and seasonal conditions you otherwise wouldn't dare to on a typical road tire or average trail tire.

They give a slower, smoother ride than road tires, and since you have a larger surface contact area and ride them at a much lower tire pressure you gain traction much more effectively through loose gravel, ice, or snow, and rolling over rocks and branches is made easier with the added benefit of being far less likely to puncture/pop a a tire on such hazards.

I guess I get that but how many times do you see these bikes on the road in those conditions?

Reactions: BoxsterCy

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I guess I get that but how many times do you see these bikes on the road in those conditions?

True. I really don’t understand it, at least not in good weather.

I suppose I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and presume they are merely on the road with fat tires en route to a wonderful off road adventure further away from their house.

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA

I suppose I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and presume they are merely on the road with fat tires en route to a wonderful off road adventure further away from their house.

like people with really nice jeeps. I envy them.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I've never ridden gravel, but man there are some things that jump out at me as not being so great. Maybe not as much road traffic, but when a vehicle goes bye aren't you eating dust? Also, it would terrify me going on a hill knowing that whatever vehicle on the other side of the hill that may be coming can't see me. Some people drive like maniacs on gravel roads and they are not as wide as paved roads.
Farm dogs. I run on gravel sometime and the main thing I worry about is getting chased by dogs.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018

Why wear flipflops when tennis shoes will work? Why eat a hamburger when you can have fish and chips? Why drink a coorslight when you can drink a blonde fatale? Fatbikes are just another way to enjoy time on a bike. They are not the most versatile, but they are a blast.

I ride my fatbike sometimes when i ride bikes with my wife...she is slower and enjoys the slower pace so fatbikes are great. If I am riding to a single track, I'll ride my FB. If I only have 60 minutes for a workout, I'll ride my fb instead of a road bike or other. I ride a fatbike during crappy weather too. I ride my FB around saylorville lake all year around or down along the river on sandbar. Lots of reasons to ride a fatbike. Some people may only have one bike and its a fatbike.

weeterkane

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2009
DM
When you're new to it, get something that is #1 Comfortable! If you're miserable on some race geometry road bike, you'll probably quit. You can always upgrade. I personally sold my nice new road bike and now I ride a 1978 Steel Bridgestone, and it's so enjoyable. Had a friend upgrade with newer components/shifting, and it's a nice time.

• Dumb
Reactions: Turn2