New Mortgage Question

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I agree. While it seems invasive, asking someone if they're going to have a job in three months isn't much different from asking them if they're currently employed.

Even though they've loosened up, it's still much more difficult to get a mortgage now than it was 15 years ago. A friend of mine has quite a pile of money - not FU money, but close. He's nearing 8 figures. He has tried to buy two separate houses the last year; both fell through because he doesn't show regular income and couldn't get a mortgage. He offered to pay up to 40% of the down payment on one of them - still couldn't get one. Both houses were under $1M. He did finally get one approved and shoved through a month ago on attempt #3.
Why didn't he just buy the house outright?

Reactions: FatNTired

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Was reading an article where the hypothesis said home values will not tank. The number of buyers will fall but the inventory of homes for sale will fall even more....

So basically. I don't know.

I assume it'll be a market to market situation with the virus playing a gigantic role in which way we go.... In a lot of ways.

Migration from cities to places like Boone or Winterset with 100% remote workers? Back to cities with a quick COVID vaccine or the virus fizzles out?

No idea. Throw the stock market in that category too

that's what's odd about all this...i've read the opposite regarding home values...in fact, some lenders are no longer allowing home equity loans/lines in fear of that...while some are sweetening the deal. honestly, it's a complete crap shoot...nobody at any level can predict what's happening because it's unprecedented...which is a term I'm getting tired of hearing and using. :)

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
that's what's odd about all this...i've read the opposite regarding home values...in fact, some lenders are no longer allowing home equity loans/lines in fear of that...while some are sweetening the deal. honestly, it's a complete crap shoot...nobody at any level can predict what's happening because it's unprecedented...which is a term I'm getting tired of hearing and using. :)

I'm ready to fall back on conspiracy theories. It is the only logical way to make this new world order logical

Reactions: Gossamer

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017

Current unemployment rate of 14.7%.
Nearly 1/3rd of people did not pay their April home rent / mortgage in full / on time.
May numbers will be worse.

I think time is on the side for those who want to purchase / build right now. There could be some great opportunities as we approach fall. You may be able to buy 25% more home for the same dollars by waiting six months.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Current unemployment rate of 14.7%.
Nearly 1/3rd of people did not pay their April home rent / mortgage in full / on time.
May numbers will be worse.

I think time is on the side for those who want to purchase / build right now. There could be some great opportunities as we approach fall. You may be able to buy 25% more home for the same dollars by waiting six months.

Priced some metal gating. 20-25% under a year ago.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Mine didn't ask me, closed Tuesday. I don't know if I actually got a call into employer but it would make more sense if they asked the employer your question directly rather than asking you or me.

My area still pretty heavily shut down. Escrow had a picnic table set up outside their office.

They usually call current employer for verification of employment and income.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You were just a moment too early.....

Because he doesn't want to tie up all of his cash in house(s). He prefers to finance and invest the cash.

Jumbo loans (over $510,000 now) are much harder now because the banks can't sell them very easily. The GSE backed loans are much easier.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Jumbo loans (over $510,000 now) are much harder now because the banks can't sell them very easily. The GSE backed loans are much easier.
Most people will take a 1st to the max and piggy back a 2nd. Jumbo market is going to be very challenging in the short term.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Well, son of a *****. I’ve been considering a build relatively soon myself. Not sure I would need that much, but I bet it’s close.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Well, son of a *****. I’ve been considering a build relatively soon myself. Not sure I would need that much, but I bet it’s close.
Well then you would definitely just take a 1st up to the max, without taking it jumbo. Rates are higher for jumbo loans.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Depends how big and how high end you want it. Seen houses built for 200k that were decent and seen some that were 550k with an unfinished basement and garage because they ran out of money. At 30 years old, that is a heck of a mortgage they will have.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I would recommend that you contact your favorite local legal professional before deciding to lie on a mortgage application.

So far I've never met anyone in the legal profession that ever approached becoming a favorite.

iu

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

They want a written letter.
Actually my employer will send them a letter stating that working in an office is not required to maintain employment. So I will be fine.

More curious if other people are seeing this.

Rates are low, but compared to past mortgage discussions, this one has had many more questions, and I mean some crazy ones.. Even though I am putting down a decent chunk and have shown assets to protect them.

Maybe because this is a new mortgage and not a refi, is making it more challenging.
I was supposed to close on my refi yesterday. Pushed because they misspelled my first name in one spot, so all the papers need redone.

Anyway, they did not ask that question, but I work remotely in non-covid times.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was supposed to close on my refi yesterday. Pushed because they misspelled my first name in one spot, so all the papers need redone.

Anyway, they did not ask that question, but I work remotely in non-covid times.

Was this over the internet? Otherwise as long as it wasn’t the announcement area on the mortgage or loan doc, most times you can cross out and correct it and then have each party initial that they accept the change.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Was this over the internet? Otherwise as long as it wasn’t the announcement area on the mortgage or loan doc, most times you can cross out and correct it and then have each party initial that they accept the change.
As I understand it, it was on the deed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron