Bloody Mary's

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Ok good folks of CF...I've never made a homemade Bloody Mary. So whats the best mix/vodka out there? What other ingredients do you all recommend????

I kind of ask because Fareway has a special on Zing Zang bloody mix with Butchers Block vodka...curious if that was any good as well.

And if anyone out there is really cool, how to make an Old Fashioned..?

cycloneshort

Jan 19, 2017
Ok good folks of CF...I've never made a homemade Bloody Mary. So whats the best mix/vodka out there? What other ingredients do you all recommend????

I kind of ask because Fareway has a special on Zing Zang bloody mix with Butchers Block vodka...curious if that was any good as well.

If you can find it, Lola's Hot Sauce has a spicy Bloody Mary mix that is the best I've had. throw in some Worcestershire and then you're cooking

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

realistically, zing zang isn’t bad. I prefer it more for micheladas, but it’s ok with bloody Mary’s too.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Zing Zang is my favorite widely available bloody mix, always a solid choice.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Maybe a stupid question but when using mix do you do anything else or is the mix supposed to be it (other than vodka)?

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Madame Mary bloody mary mix is the best in Iowa IMO. Yeah just use your vodka and the mix. You can add spices, veggies, beef sticks, whatever floats your boat!

Reactions: h-man64

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

Old Fashioned: I have decided I prefer real sugar over simple syrup.

2oz whiskey (peppery flavor gives a nice contrast to the sweetness)
1tsp sugar
1tsp water
Bitters

Add water and a few (four?) dashes of bitters to the glass, the the sugar. Stir til sugar is dissolved (or you get bored). Add ice as desired, the whiskey, then mix, then drink. Garnishes are entirely unnecessary at home, but suit yourself.

Reactions: mustangcy

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
This has been a good time to clean out the kitchen. Tomato juice, several dashes of Worcestershire, couple of small squirts of Sriracha, vodka, some dill pickle juice, and ice. I don't really measure anything. Beef stick, cheese cube, and a cherry tomato pinned with a toothpick to a celery stalk. Good stuff.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I usually buy Mr and T's as it's available locally, but really there are lots of good/better mixes available. Throw in some Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce then sprinkle some celery salt on top and your good to go.

It's really all about the garnishes though.

Screenshot_20200430-130327_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cowgirl836

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames

1tsp sugar
1tsp water
Bitters

Add water and a few (four?) dashes of bitters to the glass, the the sugar. Stir til sugar is dissolved (or you get bored). Add ice as desired, the whiskey, then mix, then drink. Garnishes are entirely unnecessary at home, but suit yourself.
Unless you have Luxardo cherries, then it is completely necessary.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

1tsp sugar
1tsp water
Bitters

Curious if you buy simple syrup or make it. I've only had it when I make it. Very easy to make. 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. (Store bought stuff has many other ingredients) Heat it up and stir to dissolve the sugar. Keeps for a long time if stored sealed in the fridge.

I mainly use simple syrup to make maple syrup by adding mapleine to it. Super easy and way better than anything you can buy aside from pure maple syrup.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
For the price it's hard to beat Costco brand Kirkland American Vodka.
I just bought two 1.75 liter bottles last week with tax for $27.80

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
The Old Fashioned that I grew up with is a Southern Comfort Old Fashioned. Use SoCo, bitters, club soda, and a cherry (with a smidgen of the juice). No need for sweetener.

As far as ratios go, I don't know. Grandpa always eyeballed them, and they were always exactly the same each time. I've never been able to quite replicate them (not for lack of trying!).

Reactions: sandiego and Doc

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Major Peters (The Works)
Ketle One, or Tito's will work
dash lime juice
dash worcestershire
hefty dash chipolte tabasco
dash A1 steak sauce (seriously)

Throw in Bacon (beef/turkey sticks work as well), olives, and pickled asparagus

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Major Peters (The Works)
Ketle One, or Tito's will work
dash lime juice
dash worcestershire
hefty dash chipolte tabasco
dash A1 steak sauce (seriously)

Throw in Bacon (beef/turkey sticks work as well), olives, and pickled asparagus

I’ve been using A1 forever. It blends perfectly with a Bloody Mary.

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
For my bloody marys I always put 1/2 Clamato 1/2 blood mary mix, and then Worcestershire, tabasco, lime juice, horseradish, pickle juice, celery salt, lowries, and vodka.

Reactions: 2020cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A key wild-card ingredient: Dill sauce. Roughly 1 part of that to 3 parts juice.

I've been lazy in recent years and just buy mix when I'm in the mood for a Bloody, but when I'm motivated, it's noticeably better than store-bought.

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
A traditional old fashioned can take a bit of time. If I'm feeling lazy, in a shaker I do a few (3-4) ounces of a nice whiskey, a TBSP of orange marmalade, some orange bitters and shake well and served up for my likening. It has the hint of orange and sweetness that a properly muddled sugar cube/orange gives. Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron