***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
On Bartovik, ISU gets worse when you add Buggs to the roster... I get they just need bodies at this point but there are others I would want more.
That seems to be a flaw in their computer model. I mean, if he's that bad he just wont play. That's like saying adding a walk on makes us worse.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Interesting to see the Hawaii board talking about Buggs potentially wanting to play in a different offense where he would get more opportunity to score and not just be a facilitator. We are that kind of style but I hope we're not promising him the latter.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
On Bartovik, ISU gets worse when you add Buggs to the roster... I get they just need bodies at this point but there are others I would want more.

While I would expect Buggs to start game 1 I wouldn't assume that for the whole year if he doesn't perform. Nixon minutes were being cut with Jackson starting over him before Hali got hurt.
I also assume taking Buggs would't stop ISU from pursuing another scoring guard/wing like Keir who may start. If that assumption is correct Buggs would be a good add to give a solid baseline true PG option and hopefully make the situation for a scoring grad transfer that much more attractive.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
While I would expect Buggs to start game 1 I wouldn't assume that for the whole year if he doesn't perform. Nixon minutes were being cut with Jackson starting over him before Hali got hurt.
I also assume taking Buggs would't stop ISU from pursuing another scoring guard/wing like Keir who may start. If that assumption is correct Buggs would be a good add to give a solid baseline true PG option and hopefully make the situation for a scoring grad transfer that much more attractive.
We will get Buggs and yes we are pursing Keir hard also. That's a tougher sell. Michigan is going to be tough competition among others. If we can land them both, we are set up for a solid season.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Getting Buggs would be good news. Unless Walker is the 2nd coming of Tyrese from day 1, we need a solid option at PG; could be a poor-mans NWB. Now, still need to surround him with more offensive weapons.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Id say we take whoever we can get at this point

Buggs is better than most of the Grad Transfers on the market when all were available even many of us appear to sound underwhelmed he would be a good fit and get.

I realize you being a bit tongue n cheek with the statement but If ISU would have taken an Ozier type as was talked about last week. Then we may miss out on a Harris or other top late option that becomes available late.
Prohm has to be judicious with the use of all 4 not just take anyone.
Printiss was an example of taking a transfer early filling the last scholly and not being able to recruit a better option later when available. I'd be fine with keeping 1 roster spot open til the summer to see what the landscape is like.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Grill is a 3, Bolton is a 2 and the belief was always that Tre could/should be a 1. I don’t think there is any reason to believe that Bolton and Grill couldn’t play together. Grill is a better rebounder and defender but Bolton has great straight-line drive ability.

Grill isn't a 3 if your other 2 guards are Jackson & Bolton. There is more to basketball than just putting good shooters on the court. When Hoiberg recruited for a small ball lineup he recruited 6'5"+ guards so they could be consistently counted on for 4-5 rebounds a game. He also had a 4 who could be a 7-8 rebound per game guy.

I do agree with you that If Jackson, Bolton & Grill are all Big12 level players they could have co-existed. There are 80 mpg at the 1 & 2 positions and each could play 20-32 mpg and make it work. All three guys can play off-guard and Jackson/Bolton were both recruited to play PG. Bolton more of a ball dominant PG and less distributor.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Buggs is better than most of the Grad Transfers on the market when all were available even many of us appear to sound underwhelmed he would be a good fit and get.

I realize you being a bit tongue n cheek with the statement but If ISU would have taken an Ozier type as was talked about last week. Then we may miss out on a Harris or other top late option that becomes available late.
Prohm has to be judicious with the use of all 4 not just take anyone.
Printiss was an example of taking a transfer early and not being able to maybe find a better option later.

Based on what? Certainly not stats.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
He's a great fit for our system. A distributor who can score when needed. I don't want the ball in Bolton's hands all the time. He's better served as an off the ball scorer. With the right PG, Bolton is going to be a star. He was good this year, but with the experience he's gained, I think he's ready to take the next step.

Reactions: isu83

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

He's the #24 (w/22 above him committed) GT available on Goodmans list for example, ahead of Kier.

https://watchstadium.com/top-20-college-basketball-transfers-who-can-play-in-2020-21-03-24-2020/

{Edit}
To be fair Buggs is lower on ESPN's list but second highest Guard available today. (Kier #17)
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-basketball-transfer-rankings-2020-21-2021-22

36. Drew Buggs, 6-3, 195 pounds, PG, RS Jr., Hawaii
Buggs ticks a lot of boxes for a high-major player. He has good size for a point guard, and also averaged 9.4 points, 4.5 rebounds and 5.4 assists. Good playmaking ability.

I am not saying he's a program changer but Buggs has high major interest from Day 1 and after missing on Aiken/Turner/Gomez would be a solid get late in April.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

That seems to be a flaw in their computer model. I mean, if he's that bad he just wont play. That's like saying adding a walk on makes us worse.

upload_2020-4-22_10-40-55.png

He was much better as a sophomore than as a junior. I hope we would be receiving more of that version of it. I am not sure why he regressed so much.

He has never been a good outside shooter (around 25% his past two seasons). He was much better from 2PT as a sophomore, though, which seems to be the difference in his efficiency between those two years. He has a nice assist rate (though still turns it over way too much, look at these compared to something like Monté Morris or NWB).

If he distributes and plays defense, then he might be okay.