***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
not 7 ft, don't want!
Durant is 7'0", but he doesn't like the connotation that comes with that (being a big man), so he says he's only 6'9"-6'10". There are pictures of him standing next to footers and he's at their height or above lol.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think Johnson probably has to play the 4 because we saw what happens when CSP tries to play two bigs. He would much rather play a stretch 4 who can shoot deep and can penetrate like THT. Also, like the online poster stated, we have no one currently who can play that position.

Foster going to get a shot to play some 4.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Is this the second time you failed to read when the starting PG goes to the bench Johnson plays Point Forward?

But let’s say I said what you claim, does that mean you hated Georges bringing the ball up when Morris was playing?

If you can show me evidence that Johnson is as efficient as Georges was in starting the offense then I’m all for it. He had more turnovers than assists in the Sun Belt and you want to draw a comparison to Niang. Bold move Cotton.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I agree. Johnson probably gets more minutes there but Foster will see some minutes.

My guess is day one Johnson starts at the 4 but XF will get every opportunity to get that role and be starting by January. JJ playing SF and XF @ PG day one is also in play. Players with Xavier's ranking don't go to a school with plans to sit and learn for a year.
Similar ranked players like Matt Thomas, Georges Niang (B12), Lindell Wigginton, and Talen Horton-Tucker all started day 1. Top 60 kids usually need to prove they aren't ready be a starter first rather than prove they are first in this time of early transfer landscape.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree. Johnson probably gets more minutes there but Foster will see some minutes.
Yeah, this all hangs on just how good / ready Foster is. There's no doubt in my mind that Johnson starts at the 4 next year with Solo at the 5. Then comes the question of whether you put Foster and Conditt in at the same time (I really hope they are able to play together because that would be very fun). If Foster is a clear as day starter at some point, Prohm is going to have to make a decision. I hope if we're in a groove he won't tinker with the lineup but if it's obvious Foster should be starting, Prohm might be forced to.

Now, we shouldn't expect or put pressure on Foster to be any better than what he is, a talented freshman. But there is a possibility he could be a diaper dandy next year for us, which would be very big for this team.

1: Aiken, Buggs, tbd
2: Bolton
3: Johnson
4. Foster
5. Solo

We're not sure what the PG position is going to look like yet, but if Foster ends up starting at some point in time, that lineup listed above looks competitive. That all depends on how good Johnson is. Then you obviously have Conditt, Jackson, hopefully one other freshman who exceeds expectations, and then whoever else we get as transfers.

I'm sorry to say this to some of the haters, but even with the uncertainty at PG, that lineup above is better than our lineup we had for the back half of the season with Halliburton out. Now, for us to take a bigger leap forward, we have to wind up with 2 high level guys like we've talked about from the beginning.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Foster going to get a shot to play some 4.
I’d hope any post, forward, or wing has a shot. We’re in trouble if he’s the best option next year imo. This staff just isn’t at its best with two bigs.

There could be a little of last year in which we try to force two big lineups because 3 posts are our top players, but it’s unlikely to be better than what 2017-18 or 2019-20 yielded

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
My guess is day one Johnson starts at the 4 but XF will get every opportunity to get that role and be starting by January. JJ playing SF and XF @ PG day one is also in play. Players with Xavier's ranking don't go to a school with plans to sit and learn for a year.
Similar ranked players like Matt Thomas, Georges Niang (may have been by Dec), Lindell Wigginton, and Talen Horton-Tucker all started day 1. Top 60 kids usually need to prove they aren't ready be a starter first rather than prove they are first in this time of early transfer landscape.

Totally disagree. Foster isn't playing the 4 and if he is that would be a disaster both offensively and defensively.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I’d hope any post, forward, or wing has a shot. We’re in trouble if he’s the best option next year imo. This staff just isn’t at its best with two bigs.

There could be a little of last year in which we try to force two big lineups because 3 posts are our top players, but it’s unlikely to be better than what 2017-18 or 2019-20 yielded

It is difficult to play with two bigs for any team unless one of the bigs can guard on the perimeter and stretch the defense on the other end. I mean the only reason KU did it this year is they were waiting for one of their bench guards to emerge and be comfortable enough to start for them. WVU was just a complete mess offensively with two bigs and kept tinkering with the lineup late in the year to play only one big at a time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We’ve had good luck with Jucos. I know we’ve recruited some, but it’s too bad we don’t get any to commit anymore.

Honestly, the huge increase in sit out transfers and grad transfers have probably hurt JUCO players some. Once you get outside of the top 20 JUCO players it gets to be a real crap shoot. You also have to remember that a lot of JUCO kids have other things that a head coach needs to take into consideration.

Cyclone560

May 25, 2017
I'm always overly optimistic so I'm sure I'm relatively out on a limb here, but I'm definitely encouraged by what I've seen early in the transfer market. I also like the fact that ISU seems to be really focused on going all in on guys or not at all, I haven't seen them on many of the lists of "these 30 programs have already reached out" without them making an actual push (as opposed to some schools like Seton Hall for instance seem to be reaching out to basically everyone from my view at least)

There also seem to be a good number of options of guards which I think is biggest need. PG particularly, a solid vet PG would really help free up Bolton to play his best like he was starting to in Big12 play alongside Haliburton where he could penetrate off the defensive rotation or shoot.

Personally I would LOVE to get Gomez. But I also agree, he can't be you PG option, but his numbers from last year were absurd. Shot 44% from 3 on huge volume (over 100 makes, I think I saw like 3.7 makes per game or something like that) plus he shot 94% from the FT line so his stroke has every indication of being pure, I think as mentioned before he could ideally be used as a microwave scorer, a McGee type role. Ideally just run him off of screens all day long.

I really think gettiing Gomez AND a true vet PG would be a really solid offseason and pending the obviously crucial and unpredictable development and incoming freshmen play could reasonably put ISU in position to at least be fun and competitive whether that ultimately means a tourney berth or not.

As far as PG options go, Aiken would obviously be a dream come true, but I can't imagine us getting him over his list of projected NCAA teams / likely E8/F4 contenders. No idea if he would be interested or how likely he would be but a guy like Davion Mintz, who just recently entered the portal would be my ideal, not a big scorer but a 3 year starter at Creighton that would be a consummate true point.

Finally, I like our targets in general a lot, lots of high upside, competition is heavy so probably unlikely again, but I've fallen in love with this kid from Rice, Trey Murphy. Likely would have to sit, but with 4 spots open a sit out wouldn't be terrible for roster stability anyways.

Moral of the story: I love how things seem to be shaking out early on, we seem to be heavily involved and making final lists of our main targets early and there are some good ones. Who knows if we end up landing any of these prime targets or not, but we at least appear to be in a good position in general.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Mintz would definitely be a good option. He has a ton of time playing in one of the best conferences. Will be interesting to see if they reach out.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Totally disagree. Foster isn't playing the 4 and if he is that would be a disaster both offensively and defensively.
I think this all depends on what the opposing team is putting out there as well as how good Foster really is. If he's too good to not start and Solomon consistently plays like he did from the middle of the season on, it's not impossible Xavier ends up at the 4.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Niang's first start was KU, early January.

Correct, I looked it up. Booker former top 100 senior started but Niang was getting more minutes in Dec and started the first B12 game.
My overall point due to recruitment top 60 kids are recruited/promised to start early. A coach is much more likely to error on playing the recruit early to ensure they are happy and don't transfer after year 1. Especially next year when the sit out rule is likely gone.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
If we get Turner and Aiken, I think this team is capable of making the tourney again. Bolton, Young, and Conditt IV are all solid to go along with these two transfers and if Foster is ready to be a beast immediately then this is a solid team that should be able to finish in the upper half of the conference. I'm excited to see what happens in the next week, especially with these two guys and the rest of the transfers that seem to like us.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Mizzou Power caught up with Turner and he is looking for a weekend decision and researching each school.
https://missouri.rivals.com/news/decision-coming-soon-for-transfer-target-turner

Couple of quotes that stood out.
coaching staff sees him as a leader. He was already familiar with assistant coach Cornell Mann, a fellow Detroit native, and he said he has developed a sense of trust with head coach Cuonzo Martin.
“Just going in knowing that I got two coaches that I can trust with my future, that’s big,” Turner said of Martin and Mann.
“In the past, I saw that they were probably one of the slower teams in the SEC or lower scoring teams in the SEC, so really just that scoring attribute, where I’m still playing defense and really being an all-around player,” he said of Missouri.
"he plans to monitor the direction of each program as players rosters change over the coming weeks.
“Where I can see the direction of the team for the upcoming season,” he said, “things like if this quarantine is still going to get extended, how can I get acclimated or how can I make the transition. So it’ll just be small stuff like that, just trying to get as much detail as possible.”

I think Mizzou has a few players testing for the NBA, not looking like an NCAA team currently and playing at a slower pace could help ISU. The relationship to the coaches is concerning considering JT cant visit. If nothing else he is really researching the situation.

Last edited:

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Johnson will be the 4 guy bc there is no other guy on the roster than can play that position.

While I agree he could play a bit of the four, I will be surprised if the majority of his time isn’t at the three. I believe Foster is more likely to be a four than a five, even if he thinks more like a three or even a 2 at times.

Last edited: