Caleb Grill Transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Thanks for sharing that.....I remember hearing CW went to Vegas and such and knows they are pals. And yes, definitely that would create some interesting tense points potentially if things didn't go as planned. There is always the weird dance between "coverage" for local media and "buddying up" feeling (which seems to continue to blur as there are various media outlets that all blend (radio, tv, web, newspaper) as they all cross pollinate.

I've heard a lot of the DM media dog on Niko Medvid and talk about what they'd say to him if they saw him, etc...but then don't mention anything to Ali Farokmanesh (sp?) as he was making the rounds last week, etc.

I have no particular expertise with either college basketball or the business of college sports, and I have no inside connections whatsoever on this one.

But from what I can gather, reading the tea leaves from what CW has said, what the more connected on here has said, knowing that Pollard and TJ are close and Pollard probably wanted to just give the job to TJ last time around, knowing how close the Otzelberger family is to central Iowa, and seeing the generally good jobs TJ has done in Brookings, SD and Paradise, NV so far, I would imagine the chances he is our next coach has to be something in the ~50% range. Just putting a number on that general feeling.

I think it would be more likely like a Pac-12 or another Big 12 school would nab him before us rather than we would not be interested or pass on him.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
....I remember it mostly because CW said he would have an ethical conundrum at that point about if he could even cover his friend fairly as a journalist.

I don't think this would have much of an impact on CW's reporting style.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't think this would have much of an impact on CW's reporting style.

CW has always had a pretty casual, bro style about everything. And I have no problems with that. This is college sports, even if a lot of $$$ can be involved.

But the fact he says *this one* would be *the one* to make him wonder if he is too close to his subject to do it fair and ethical job... says how close he is with him.

Reactions: CapnCy

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Funny, I'm reading through this thread and this pops up on the show I'm watching..

Attachments

• 20200406_151019.jpg
    20200406_151019.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 41