Ticket Renewal

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There's an argument to be made that, particularly since they're no longer tax-deductible, that these aren't really donations at all but something closer to seat licenses. Many (most?) might not be "donating" if it weren't for their seats.

I think the smart play for the athletic department would be to offer people their Cyclone Club donations back if they choose but campaign hard for people to leave them alone. I suspect most would do so anyway, and they would generate a lot of goodwill.

but your donation applies to basketball too.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Remember that your Cyclone Club donation value is not limited to the current year. As in, points per consecutive year of purchasing tickets and various giving levels. It doesn't matter really which sports you do or don't buy season tickets for, the Cyclone Club "donation" isn't tied to one sport.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Remember that your Cyclone Club donation value is not limited to the current year. As in, points per consecutive year of purchasing tickets and various giving levels. It doesn't matter really which sports you do or don't buy season tickets for, the Cyclone Club "donation" isn't tied to one sport.

And if people demand refunds for this year, then I better move ahead of them in line.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
And if people demand refunds for this year, then I better move ahead of them in line.
Do you know where to find donation "rank"?
I looked this morning and couldn't find it anywhere.

I was thinking this exact thing, to see if I moved up if people were asking for refunds.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I don't disagree with any of that, and as I said, I think most people would leave most or all of their donations in tact even if they had the option for a refund. I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone out of donating.

But in an environment with a lot of job loss and furlough, there will be a not-insignificant number of people for whom college athletics becomes the lowest priority in their budget. If Pollard tried to play hardball with those folks, it would be a disastrous move. (And to be clear, I would be stunned if he actually did that.)

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Do you know where to find donation "rank"?
I looked this morning and couldn't find it anywhere.

I was thinking this exact thing, to see if I moved up if people were asking for refunds.

Go into your account. Account settings. Manage my personal profile. Your placing is 3/4 of the way down the page

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I don't disagree with any of that, and as I said, I think most people would leave most or all of their donations in tact even if they had the option for a refund. I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone out of donating.

But in an environment with a lot of job loss and furlough, there will be a not-insignificant number of people for whom college athletics becomes the lowest priority in their budget. If Pollard tried to play hardball with those folks, it would be a disastrous move. (And to be clear, I would be stunned if he actually did that.)
Hey, I agree with you! Let's be friends again. ;) I do think you're correct, which could make the reindexing plan very interesting over the coming months.

Reactions: Trice

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hearing Pollard explain that if you can’t for whatever reason purchase your season tickets this year, you’ll be able to keep your seats for 2021. Source- Tailgate Tour

it helped me make a decision

Pollard made a strong, yet subtle, pitch for renewing season tickets. Essentially, he said, if we can only allow 50% capacity, it will be easy to know which 50%, namely, the season ticket holders. I think it will be 100% or much less than 50%, but he masterfully turned the common 50% capacity rule into a sales pitch. Nicely played.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Hearing Pollard explain that if you can’t for whatever reason purchase your season tickets this year, you’ll be able to keep your seats for 2021. Source- Tailgate Tour

it helped me make a decision

How did you proceed? I'd like to keep my seats but not risk all that money if only 50% is allowed.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I contacted the cyclone club. They will be extending the deadline to purchase into June and will allow people to not purchase tickets this fall but still hold onto their seats for next fall. They said more details will be announced next week.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I renewed back in March right before everything hit the fan. There is always the refund option, too, if things get messy.

I have heard no one really talk about this, but what about tailgating? Could that be discouraged or even banned? I enjoy tailgating, but I go to games for the games. I know some of our fans are more into the tailgating experience than the game experience.

So, I assume there are plans out there for parking, tents, and so on. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, I guess.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Got an email to call the ticket office yesterday (I added another seat this year).
They were able to keep my same seats as last year for the renewed tickets, but the new seat will be a row above and a few seats away. They told me there will be plenty of room to spread out, so we can still sit together.

Has anyone else heard if they are being reseated or if they are keeping their same location this year?

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron