WBB: Misc thread, polls, opponents games, regional stuff

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I watched that on ESPN+. Was actually more exciting than the OU - ISU game today.
Hey @geewago, what do you think of the conference so far? Obviously Baylor is top of the class, followed by WV and Texas. I put the Lady Cyclones at 4, followed by the rest. The top teams are going to feast on the bottom 5...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Baylor and OSU on ESPNU at 1:00. Cowgirls gonna get killed but a chance to look at Mack and Gray who will be individually a handful when we play them. Good news is it's only Mack and Gray with what looks like no one else contributing much. Sort of a more extreme version of our squad. For OSU it's two of the better players in the league and then nothing. Subtract Gray and they are shooting 24% from three. Woof. Might tune in cause curious. The three not named Gray/Mack certainly aren't going to be able to do anything against Baylor's defense. Gray was fun to watch last year and Mack has been putting up crazy double-doubles but they haven't beat anyone.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: geewago

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Baylor and OSU on ESPNU at 1:00. Cowgirls gonna get killed but a chance to look at Mack and Gray who will be individually a handful when we play them. Good news is it's only Mack and Gray with what looks like no one else contributing much. Sort of a more extreme version of our squad. For OSU it's two of the better players in the league and then nothing. Subtract Gray and they are shooting 24% from three. Woof. Might tune in cause curious. The three not named Gray/Mack certainly aren't going to be able to do anything against Baylor's defense. Gray was fun to watch last year and Mack has been putting up crazy double-doubles but they haven't beat anyone.

40-15 late in the 2nd qtr

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This UConn gal calling the Baylor game is kind of fun to listen to. Baylor just looks really good, not much else to say.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This UConn gal calling the Baylor game is kind of fun to listen to. Baylor just looks really good, not much else to say.

What a rout. Mack, who had 20 rebounds the other day, has a single board. Just one.

Switched over to the MBB, Gophers/Michigan. Good game, good win for Gophers. Doubleheader for Gopher on BTN as the the Whalens are playing now.

Edit. Yikes, Destiny Pitts suspended for the Gophers for the ye old "conduct unbecoming of a team member". She was showing all sorts of attitude in the Nebraska game I watched part of. She wasn't playing well and throwing attitude at the coach was not a good look. Bello sisters also not playing but no statement on why. Guessing they are in the same attitude issue camp. There brother and dad weighing in with the "how dare you discipline my child" stuff. Man, looks like a yuge mess brewing.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't realize the Hawks were going for their 30th straight win at Carver. Playing #12 Indiana.

Edit: Hawks won in 2OT.

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Hey @geewago, what do you think of the conference so far? Obviously Baylor is top of the class, followed by WV and Texas. I put the Lady Cyclones at 4, followed by the rest. The top teams are going to feast on the bottom 5...
I think you've got the top 3 right as well as the right order. TX however is so bi-polar they could actually finish in the bottom five. WV will be in Waco Saturday. That should be the game that separates BU from the pack if they win, or sets the stage for a dog fight down the stretch.
The problem with so many Big 12 teams is they are 2 dimensional or 3 at best. The rest of the starters and the bench are no more than fillers. I hope you're right in predicting ISU 4th but honestly I'm afraid that won't happen. TCU & OU and OSU are going to be tough to beat out for that 4th spot. But hang on - that's why they play the games.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Missouri State woodshedded UNI 80-66. Top of the Big 10 race is pretty crowded right now. That'll sort out in a few weeks I assume.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
:mad:

Was a pretty good TV game. They kinda stormed back to tie but missed a free throw to win it in the last seconds. The loved/hated Doyle missed a triple double by one rebound. Their center not-named-Megan scored 23. As much as peeps here like to mock their crowds and support it's been really good the last couple of years and is good again this year. Looked and sounded (loud) like a good crowd on TV. They should be ranked when polls are updated today. No great teams in the Big 10 (no Elite 8 looking teams) this year but the top half are all GOOD teams and league is strong.

They are going to kill my depleted squad hometown Gophers Thursday. Was having to choose whether to go to The Barn or a planning and zoning open house meeting. With all the Gophers suspended players the mtg is winning out.

The other two WBB games I watched some of Sunday were not entertaining, Gophers losing again and Cowgirls getting routed in Waco.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Past opponent North Dakota State trailing ranked South Dakota 53 - 11 at the half. Bison are 3-12. And this is in Fargo. Woof #1!

Iowa came from 9 down in the 4th to eek out a road win over the Gophers squad. Surprised it was this close but not surprised Hawks pulled it out. They seem to know how to close the deal in the 4th. 2nd game with Gophers star Destiny Pitt suspended and they drop to 1-5. Woof #2!

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Past opponent North Dakota State trailing ranked South Dakota 53 - 11 at the half. Bison are 3-12. And this is in Fargo. Woof #1!

Iowa came from 9 down in the 4th to eek out a road win over the Gophers squad. Surprised it was this close but not surprised Hawks pulled it out. They seem to know how to close the deal in the 4th. 2nd game with Gophers star Destiny Pitt suspended and they drop to 1-5. Woof #2!

https://kstp.com/sports/following-suspension-destiny-pitts-leaves-gopher-womens-hoops/5612311/

On the heels of an indefinite suspension levied by head coach Lindsay Whalen, junior and leading scorer Destiny Pitts is leaving the Gopher womens' basketball program.

Pitts announced her intent to transfer on social media Thursday.
6:34PM THURSDAY: Whalen released the following statement via e-mail:

"From Coach Whalen: We learned this afternoon that Destiny Pitts intends to enter the transfer portal. As I said yesterday, I will always respect the privacy of a student-athlete and will continue to do so. We wish Destiny the best moving forward."

Probably more to the suspension than just "body language"...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx

Well Boxster I thought sure your Gophers would win that game. Surely there was something you could have done to prevent that.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

How long do they give Whalen.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://kstp.com/sports/following-suspension-destiny-pitts-leaves-gopher-womens-hoops/5612311/

On the heels of an indefinite suspension levied by head coach Lindsay Whalen, junior and leading scorer Destiny Pitts is leaving the Gopher womens' basketball program.

"From Coach Whalen: We learned this afternoon that Destiny Pitts intends to enter the transfer portal. As I said yesterday, I will always respect the privacy of a student-athlete and will continue to do so. We wish Destiny the best moving forward."

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I think the ****** attitude she was showing in the Nebraska game and some stuff in next game were just the little the fans saw.

Was expecting the transfer based on what was said to be Pitts complete resistance to taking any measures to return. Got worse when the two Bello sisters got into before choosing team over Pitts. Pitts is a really good player but not one I'd want Iowa State to touch with a 10-foot pole. Going to need to go to a team and a coach that will make she the undisputed focus.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
How long do they give Whalen.

The pitchfork fans are freaking out. The same folks were dissing Stolling for playing no defense and not recruiting Minnesota kids even though she actaully had three out of four seasons go okay at NN. Same folks that were dissing Walden for not landing Paige Bueckers in here very first year. Never mind that Stollings seemed to ignore Minnesota recruiting and that UConn and Notre Dame were in on her for years. Geno was showing up himself here while Stollings was said to rarely attend any games. It was darn right odd considering the state produces some decent talent. The missing out on in-state recruits isn't going to be easy to fix and the current situation is going to lend itself to the old negative recruting crap.

My opinion is the fans need to chill and give her some time to build relationships within the midwest. You don't get to waltz in at the last minute and grab recruits, takes time. And the Stollings roster wasn't built to play the sort of ball the Gophers will play under Whalen. Heck look at our roster with Scott committing as a sophomore and Espenmiller-McGraw wanting to go to ISU since she was a young girl. And the Joens sisters, relationship matter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron