Twister Sister Summary - near perfection

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
One word can describe tonight’s pounding of previously unbeaten TTech - THREE. It’s been some time since we’ve seen the ladies shoot from deep like they did tonight. The onslaught was too much for Tech to overcome although they surely tried in the first half. A 31-4 third quarter broke the raiders back and ISU did just enough in the 4th to become 1-0 in conference with a dominating win.

this was pure team ball. All five starters scored in double figures with Kristen Scott looking like herself again and Joens just missing another double-double with 19 and 9. A couple of key stats should jump out at you. First, the team had 23 assists for 37 made shots. That’s a really healthy assist number. Second, after being used to seeing the ladies get beat up and sent to the line, the ladies ended up only getting 7 opportunities while making 6. Finally, if you watched the game you saw some solid defense. It wasn’t always perfect, but it was aggressive and clearly frustrated Tech.

Another upside was seeing some extra players provide some relief during the game. A couple of negatives came from two key subs. Thurman was a mixed bag as she is a bit careless with the ball. She netted 6 of the team 17 turnovers. I also cringe watching Nez' bad habits limit her minutes. She continues to swipe at the ball on defense. If she can get that under control she will be a huge asset.

It was fun to see AD and Maggie make some strong contributions in this game. Their presence wasn’t just in scoring, but overall. Rae had perhaps her best game of the year as her total line and defense were everything one could hope for. In a nutshell, we saw what this team is capable of. As I had insinuated in another thread, Tech's preconference schedule strength was exposed. They def have a couple of nice players, but I’ll be surprised if they don’t struggle in conference play.

What's next? The sisters have a BIG Monday game against Texas. Texas was beaten at home by TCU tonight and is one of the more perplexing teams in the conference as they have a mix of amazing wins (over #1 Stanford) and some head scratcher losses (Hawaii and South Florida). Who knows which team shows up, but WE need to so the ladies can have some good old Hilton Magic cooking. See you there!

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I was glad to see all the team play as well as they did. The passing was incredibly good I can't wait to get Maddie Wise back into the rotation and to see Kane play more minutes. We can't go the entire season with just 7 playing those kinds of minutes. Does anyone know if MFred is out of her boot yet? A good win and let's get some more.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I was glad to see all the team play as well as they did. The passing was incredibly good I can't wait to get Maddie Wise back into the rotation and to see Kane play more minutes. We can't go the entire season with just 7 playing those kinds of minutes. Does anyone know if MFred is out of her boot yet? A good win and let's get some more.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
One word can describe tonight’s pounding of previously unbeaten TTech - THREE. It’s been some time since we’ve seen the ladies shoot from deep like they did tonight. The onslaught was too much for Tech to overcome although they surely tried in the first half. A 31-4 third quarter broke the raiders back and ISU did just enough in the 4th to become 1-0 in conference with a dominating win.

this was pure team ball. All five starters scored in double figures with Kristen Scott looking like herself again and Joens just missing another double-double with 19 and 9. A couple of key stats should jump out at you. First, the team had 23 assists for 37 made shots. That’s a really healthy assist number. Second, after being used to seeing the ladies get beat up and sent to the line, the ladies ended up only getting 7 opportunities while making 6. Finally, if you watched the game you saw some solid defense. It wasn’t always perfect, but it was aggressive and clearly frustrated Tech.

Another upside was seeing some extra players provide some relief during the game. A couple of negatives came from two key subs. Thurman was a mixed bag as she is a bit careless with the ball. She netted 6 of the team 17 turnovers. I also cringe watching Nez' bad habits limit her minutes. She continues to swipe at the ball on defense. If she can get that under control she will be a huge asset.

It was fun to see AD and Maggie make some strong contributions in this game. Their presence wasn’t just in scoring, but overall. Rae had perhaps her best game of the year as her total line and defense were everything one could hope for. In a nutshell, we saw what this team is capable of. As I had insinuated in another thread, Tech's preconference schedule strength was exposed. They def have a couple of nice players, but I’ll be surprised if they don’t struggle in conference play.

What's next? The sisters have a BIG Monday game against Texas. Texas was beaten at home by TCU tonight and is one of the more perplexing teams in the conference as they have a mix of amazing wins (over #1 Stanford) and some head scratcher losses (Hawaii and South Florida). Who knows which team shows up, but WE need to so the ladies can have some good old Hilton Magic cooking. See you there!
Thanks for the write-up. What was the final score?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
We won by 30, it was a fun game to watch after the last week in other sports! Everyone played well and they shot lights out most of the game.

We outscored them 31-4 in the 3rd.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I thought Thurman was really good because of her drives to the basket. She needs to play more. and yes, I'll live with her TO's. We need another inside scorer and she can be that

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28 and 67CY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Thanks for the write-up. What was the final score?

i’m chuckling to myself as I read this because after I posted it I realized I did not include the final score which was 96-66. I was so focused on writing up my thoughts about the game that it just slipped by.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
BTW...enjoy this little celebration. Our coach and ladies were enjoying the post game.

This tweet and another tweet with highlights/clips and some audio of coach talking in the locker room show true joy with the game. With everything going on, that is so important not to lose sight of and celebrate and have fun when the opportunity arises. Who cares if Tech is not as good as their win-loss record. It's how ISU played. Shooting those numbers is no small feat, regardless of opponent. Holding a team to 4 points in a quarter means something. Tech has a tough post who has played with USA Basketball (Brewer), the sophomore who was one of the best recruits/freshmen in the league (Carr), and a UConn transfer (Gordon) -- they scored 20, 18, 18, so are nothing to sneeze at. Given our own non-conference season, who knew how we'd play and whether we could keep up over 4 quarters with a team that would run. Hitting shots definitely helped, but we also appeared to have a game plan involving more players who also executed that game plan. That's a good sign. One has to imagine that the coaches were sitting on the bench pinching each other as the team took control again in the second half.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I rewatched the game with special interest in the second and third quarters. In the second, Tech staged their comeback behind pesky defense. They turned up the intensity and took ISU out of their rhythm. It was a similar recipe as others have applied without the physical contact. Tech just turned up the pressure. The third? ISU turned up the speed knob. On defense, bringing in Thurman made a huge difference. Her quickness caused problems for Tech. On offense ISU still made some threes, but the drives at the basket...their overall aggressiveness...shredded any semblance of defense Tech put up.

Looking forward, this tempo on offense, the movement and aggressiveness will serve them well. On defense I’m hoping Thurman can be a valuable piece of the puzzle.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
I think Jade gives the game a change of pace and rattles the opposition so they don't get comfortable on defense. Seems good even for a few minutes.

• Winner

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
I think Jade gives the game a change of pace and rattles the opposition so they don't get comfortable on defense. Seems good even for a few minutes.

It seemed to me like Jade was given some freedom that she had not previously enjoyed. A very simple plan for her going forward -- have a big set a pick to get a switch, then clear out for her. Very few bigs will be able to stay in front of her. If help comes as she approaches for a lay up, somebody will be open.

• Winner

CycloneNeurotic

Jan 2, 2020
I agree. Where has she been (off the court) all this time? She hustles more than about anyone on the team. That play where she was victimized by a steal but then raced back down the court and stole it back was fantastic!!

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I agree. Where has she been (off the court) all this time? She hustles more than about anyone on the team. That play where she was victimized by a steal but then raced back down the court and stole it back was fantastic!!

She actually did that twice and those 2 plays alone should equal more minutes and that don't even mention her inside play

CycloneNeurotic

Jan 2, 2020
Yes! Listed at 5’8” (maybe in heels??) and taking it to the hoop between their bigs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron