Home Projector

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
I'm looking for suggestions for a projector for my bedroom. Looking for something inexpensive that works well. It would sit on a shelf about 11 ft from the wall I'd project on.

Its kinda overwhelming all the different options.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/

11 feet seems very limited and I would question why you would want to go with a projector. You definitely want to consider a short throw. I would also be concerned about noise if that projector is above your bed. Also remember that you'll need to feed that projector so wiring should also be considered.

I'm on my 3rd projector (720p, 1080p, 4k) in the last 12 years and I love them for a home theater option but for my bedroom I would go with a standard TV. Even a cheap 65" 4k TV is going to look better in a small environment.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

11 feet seems very limited and I would question why you would want to go with a projector. You definitely want to consider a short throw. I would also be concerned about noise if that projector is above your bed. Also remember that you'll need to feed that projector so wiring should also be considered.

I'm on my 3rd projector (720p, 1080p, 4k) in the last 12 years and I love them for a home theater option but for my bedroom I would go with a standard TV. Even a cheap 65" 4k TV is going to look better in a small environment.

When we upgraded to a 65" in the family room I installed our old 60" TV in my bedroom and that thing is almost too big for the space. Is this your actual bedroom or a spare bedroom that you want to turn into a theater space? If this is your bedroom let me point out that a 60W light bulb is roughly 840 lumens bright and white light from even a low end projectors can be 1000 lumens - that's going to be tough to sleep through.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

Couldn't agree more. I'm currently on my second projector, a 4k one on a 120" screen with nearly a 20' throw. Works great, but its in a dedicated home theater room. I couldn't image having a projector on a short throw in a bed room. I would go the TV route as well, they are hella cheap now even in the larger sizes.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City

What are you using for your 4k? About 8 years I finished my basement and put 110" projector. Probably time to upgrade

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
What are you using for your 4k? About 8 years I finished my basement and put 110" projector. Probably time to upgrade
I have the Epson 5050UB currently throwing 11 ft to a 106" screen. I still have to get it dialed in as far as picture settings, but it displays 4k really well, is pretty bright, and has fairly low latency. It still is not as good as my OLED, but that is an unfair comparison.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I agree that a PJ isn't going to be the best for a bedroom.

By all means go for it in the theater room, but nowhere else

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm looking for suggestions for a projector for my bedroom. Looking for something inexpensive that works well. It would sit on a shelf about 11 ft from the wall I'd project on.

Its kinda overwhelming all the different options.

If you're wanting a more professional experience, feel free to stop reading.

I did a similar thing recently. I have a cheap projector that I bought from a friend of mine for $40-50 ten years ago that was sitting mostly unused (it was only $130 original and I can't even remember the brand name-it may not even be a brand that is still being manufactured). I would take it out on our deck from time to time and project games and movies on the house (white siding doubles nicely as a screen).

We had a spare bedroom that was also being unused, so I decided to move it inside and set it up to get some more use out of it. I picked up a 4K Roku and a good HDMI cable and the picture is fine for what I use it for. The sound quality is not ideal and the fan is louder than I'd prefer, but we still enjoy it. We now use the room as an informal secondary movie/gaming room. The quality isn't the same as our set-up in the basement, but it's a fun alternative to standard viewing and my daughter loves the room for sleepovers.

If you're looking for something like that, I'd recommend just sifting through reviews to find whichever projector gives you the best picture but also runs quietest being you're using it in a smaller area.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

good picture but a little loud compared to others I’ve owned. I can hear it during silent scenes.