Charlie Kolar and the 2020 Draft Decision

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Interesting. I think there's still room for him to get even better at ISU, but if he and the coaches get a solid feeling that he'll get drafted in the early-mid rounds then I can't blame him for striking while the iron is hot. It's a brutal game and a small window to get paid.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Not surprising. Hope he comes back, he's got to get that mechanical engineering degree ;)

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Hope he stays, but it certainly does not hurt ISU to have underclassmen getting attention from the NFL.

I often wonder what kind of information that guys that get this feedback actually get. Is it a list of these are the things we are looking for and this is how you rate, or is it simply you should be drafted, or you can be drafted in another year if you can work on this and this.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Hope he stays, but it certainly does not hurt ISU to have underclassmen getting attention from the NFL.

I often wonder what kind of information that guys that get this feedback actually get. Is it a list of these are the things we are looking for and this is how you rate, or is it simply you should be drafted, or you can be drafted in another year if you can work on this and this.

I think it's fairly limited and vague feedback the player and school get back from the advisory board, along the lines of "We think you could be drafted in the first round" or "We think you could be drafted somewhere in rounds 3-5" or "We don't think you'll be drafted." I guess this is based on their own evaluations of the player plus feedback from scouts and GMs around the league.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He's a really bright kid. Seems like one that if honestly made the jump, would come back and finish his degree anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if he's close already with 3 years plus summers.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He's a really bright kid. Seems like one that if honestly made the jump, would come back and finish his degree anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if he's close already with 3 years plus summers.

And, to be clear, my comment wasn't that he shouldn't go pro if he has finished his degree. More just hoping that he won't ;).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think that Charlie comes back but wish him the best with whatever decision he makes. If he would come back, he'd have a chance to be the first TE taken in next year's draft. It all depends on the feedback he receives this year as well because who knows, there could be talks that he'd be taken highly in this year's draft.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Odds are good Charlie will be the top tight end in college football next year and put up some huge numbers. I would think he could really improve his draft stock with that kind of attention. But if the draft analysts tell him he'll make the top three rounds somehow he should do it, for sure.

cloneclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2018
Odds are good Charlie will be the top tight end in college football next year and put up some huge numbers. I would think he could really improve his draft stock with that kind of attention. But if the draft analysts tell him he'll make the top three rounds somehow he should do it, for sure.

An argument could be made he's the top TE in this draft. It seems like a very thin class this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think he could come back next year and raise his status to be a first rounder, but don’t blame him a bit for leaving now if he can make money.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Obviously I want him to stay for another year at ISU but I’ll be happy either way. The dude is a beast and will be successful with whatever choice he makes. If he gets a top 3 round grade, it’s a no brainer, you have to go.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Really like what Charlie does for this team, but I suspect that the NFL guys are going to come back and say that he needs to get bigger, stronger and become a better blocker to be an NFL TE. If they tell him he is a high draft, than he should go, but there are certainly some holes in his game.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Getting his degree should have nothing to do with his decision. He can always finish his degree and would if he left after this year. I do think he comes back though

I think it should at least play a factor. Yes, sure he could always come back but its hard to leave something for 5+ years and then come back and try to figure out where you were. Especially Engineering. It would take a little while to catch back up, even for a kid as intellegiant as he appears to be.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031