STAFF PICKS: Jalen Terry

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Maybe not a GT but a good sit out would be great.

I think a sit out would be prudent. You’re probably going to get a better player. Solo and Conditt can handle things down low, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Conditt showed enough to leave after next year. He’s another one that’s very young for his class, and he seems to be developing rapidly.

I’m hopeful that Griffin, Johnson, or Blackwell can be a solid 4 guy next year. I think Blackwell profiles there in the modern game, but could be wrong. I’d think they look to add a grad transfer that could play there or maybe a point guard.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If Prohm hasn't got his shooters with Jackson, Grill, Bolton, Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell and Walker then he signed the wrong recruits.

Our kryptonite the last few years has been tall/physical post players. I think Conditt and Foster are a great foundation for the future, but they are finesse post players. Solo is physical, but undersized from a height standpoint. Plus Solo will be a senior.

Prohm has been preaching having a stronger defensive team and I think a tall/physical post compliments Conditt/Foster & Young.

I don't see any of our existing posts a defensive match for players like Teske, Wesson, Azubuike, etc.

Those guys are extremely hard to find. Teske was only 6’11 210# coming out of high school and Foster could be Teske’s size once he gets his man muscles.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If Prohm hasn't got his shooters with Jackson, Grill, Bolton, Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell and Walker then he signed the wrong recruits.

Our kryptonite the last few years has been tall/physical post players. I think Conditt and Foster are a great foundation for the future, but they are finesse post players. Solo is physical, but undersized from a height standpoint. Plus Solo will be a senior.

Prohm has been preaching having a stronger defensive team and I think a tall/physical post compliments Conditt/Foster & Young.

I don't see any of our existing posts a defensive match for players like Teske, Wesson, Azubuike, etc.

Personally I don't see the need for a player in the Azubuke, Teske, or Garza mold. Those players force a slow down pound the paint game of the 80''s.. Conditt and Foster are the way of the future and can nutralize the old school post effectiveness with speed and an ability to shoot from outside.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Personally I don't see the need for a player in the Azubuke, Teske, or Garza mold. Those players force a slow down pound the paint game of the 80''s.. Conditt and Foster are the way of the future and can nutralize the old school post effectiveness with speed and an ability to shoot from outside.
Right. He’s yet to even prove there’s been a problem. We’ve been hurt by guards and stretch fours as much as we have those archaic bigs.

Teske only played 16 minutes in our matchup.

Azubuike has one good game against us, in a year in which we struggled overall.

Wesson was able to push his way to hurting us, but that’s more officiating and doesn’t necessarily change with our roster having another big. What about OSU’s guard killing us?

The Purdue game would have been different had we utilized Burton sooner, but even then, do we even reach that game without having elite 1-4 small ball? Plus, we do have Young, Conditt, and Foster.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I hate that slow down style but it does work if you do it well. UM has been to 3 straight Sweet 16s and has played for a natty with Teske there.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Prohm should probably bench him then or maybe even instill in Bolton's brain that he stinks at shooting and shouldn't take three pointers. That'll help him out.

Actually, he should bench him and tyrese. That will make swarthy k happy.

jesus swarthy you’re not the smartest guy in the room. Not even close.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Guessing most 7 footers don't fill out until they stop growing. Conditt has already bulked up from last year. Wouldn't make more sense to continue to recruit long athletes that will grow into a Big XII body?

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I hate that slow down style but it does work if you do it well. UM has been to 3 straight Sweet 16s and has played for a natty with Teske there.

Michigan is in the 140's range in tempo. They're not playing at Alabama's pace but they're also not close to a Virginia or Wisconsin either.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I am guessing Javan Johnson steps right into Jacobson's role as the stretch 4. Reminder he is a sit one play 2 guy. That leaves us with 4 forwards next year with Conditt, Xavier, Johnson, and possibly Griffin as a stretch 4 as well.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, but Teske wasn't a factor for those first two S16s, and let's not pretend like their team was built around him by any means last year. UM also didn't play all that slow with him.

I get your point - playing a big guy not built for a fast-paced game can be effective, but I'd say if you are not of the blue-blood variety your best bet to find value in recruiting is in the guard court and with tweeners or undersized bigs that need some development.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I am guessing Javan Johnson steps right into Jacobson's role as the stretch 4. Reminder he is a sit one play 2 guy. That leaves us with 4 forwards next year with Conditt, Xavier, Johnson, and possibly Griffin as a stretch 4 as well.

Yeah, it feels like Javan Johnson will play some 4 and Blackwell will have a shot at some time at the 4 in four guard lineups. From what I've seen early from Zion, he's going to need to pick it up a notch with those guys entering the fold. Right now Zion brings good energy but he's a bit lost when it comes to team defensive principles and his outside shot still isn't there.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah, but Teske wasn't a factor for those first two S16s, and let's not pretend like their team was built around him by any means last year. UM also didn't play all that slow with him.

I get your point - playing a big guy not built for a fast-paced game can be effective, but I'd say if you are not of the blue-blood variety your best bet to find value in recruiting is in the guard court and with tweeners or undersized bigs that need some development.
Teske was and is still, a role player on that team. And that is his ceiling. He's a stiff. Garza schooled him to the tune of 44 points last week. I didn't watch much of that game, but Teske seemed to have not played a lot due to foul trouble. Again though, Garza was quicker and more assertive in the paint, Teske too stiff and slow to keep up without fouling is how I imagine things went.

We don't have a big like Teske, but I don't see Garza going for 44 tomorrow night...

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

So a school that supplies hookers another that hands out cash payments. A third who has a booster who could arrange a great shoe contract.

What to do, what to do.

Just another reason I watch Netflix instead of college basketball these days. Watch a few ISU games but dont watch much else

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Statistics are like a bikini- what is revealed is interesting, but what is concealed is crucial. Terrance Lewis leads ISU in fg%, 3pt%, and ft%. o_O

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron