Blue Blood Notre Dame

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Notre Dame can cry all they want but they're not a full participant in P5 college football so when they don't get locked into a conference spot they can blame themselves.

Virginia is going to the Cap One to face Florida, correct? Well, there you go ND...play in the ACC (as a full member), play in it's CCG, lose and play Florida. Sexy enough? Otherwise STFU.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I believe their last 4 bowl opponents were Clemson, Ohio St., and LSU twice. So if we're fair you can see their issue. I'm fine with them not understanding what a tough game this is going to be...

They could have played one of those teams again this year if they hadn't pissed the bed in their 2 loses.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They could have played one of those teams again this year if they hadn't pissed the bed in their 2 loses.
We could be playing in the sugar bowl had we not pissed the bed on special teams and gotten screwed in Norman. But yet, he we are...

tenor.gif

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
tbf, we have not heard any ND players or coaches echo this, have we? It's all just the fans.

We said last year that we thought WSU would sleep walk into this game because they felt slighted. There is 2 ways a team can handle that feeling, either you say "screw everyone, we'll show them how good we really are" or "screw this, we deserve better". I don't think Brian Kelly is going to be taking these bowl preps lightly, personally.

Saw an article that Kelly said he knows Heacock very well, which means he knows his defensive prowess. Would guess he also knows how many NFL teams made the trek to Ames earlier this year to get a grasp of our defensive philosophies. No, he will not take this game lightly...
https://247sports.com/Article/Iowa-...cheme-breakdown-system-Jon-Heacock-133715405/

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
I see a lot of them are upset that this is their bowl game sitting at 10-2, I can't really blame them for that, but when you take a look at college football it makes sense:

1. College football is extremely top heavy this year (Bama didn't even make a NY6 at 10-2).
2. They are independent, how can they expect to have good bowl tie ins? (join a conference already).
3. They didn't really beat anybody that great, 3 fringe top 25 teams (Navy, USC, Virginia).

There's a lot of whining from them but it makes sense that this game is happening. Also, they really are only about 10 spots in front of Iowa State in most of the computer rankings I believe.
This is how they view our team. he does have a point.
This isn't meant to be a shot at you, but I always hate the "they're x points away from being x-x." argument.

Yeah, they were 4 points from being 10-2. They were also 5 points away from being 5-7, including a loss against FCS Northern Iowa.

The Kansas game was also closer than the score showed, as it was back and forth for most of the game and ISU scored a TD with a minute left to increase their lead to 10.

Also turns out that the Big XII kind of sucks. Oklahoma is the best team in the conference and they are going to get absolutely curbstomped by LSU. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if LSU won by 35 or more and hung 50+ on them.

Iowa State beat exactly ONE team with a winning record (FBS teams at least), that being Texas. So they played 5 teams with winning records and went 1-4.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
This isn't meant to be a shot at you, but I always hate the "they're x points away from being x-x." argument.

Yeah, they were 4 points from being 10-2. They were also 5 points away from being 5-7, including a loss against FCS Northern Iowa.

The Kansas game was also closer than the score showed, as it was back and forth for most of the game and ISU scored a TD with a minute left to increase their lead to 10.

Also turns out that the Big XII kind of sucks. Oklahoma is the best team in the conference and they are going to get absolutely curbstomped by LSU. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if LSU won by 35 or more and hung 50+ on them.

Iowa State beat exactly ONE team with a winning record (FBS teams at least), that being Texas. So they played 5 teams with winning records and went 1-4.
Oh no doubt, I definitely agree with everything you have to say. I'm more so just justifying how a 10-2 Notre Dame team fell to a less than satisfactory bowl for them. IF Notre Dame was in the ACC they would probably be playing Florida in the Orange Bowl and the Camping World Bowl would be slotted with Virginia.

And with the argument some fans like to make about being "x amount of points away from being x-x", I just don't think that's necessarily fair. You have to close out and win those games. We had more than enough opportunities to win Iowa, Baylor, and Oklahoma..... I guess I just think the argument shows Iowa State is almost there.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I went to the ND boards and they seem pretty upset they have to play us. I know we aren't what they hoped for, but I would hope they would take the time to watch some of our reruns vs teams like Oklahoma,Baylor and Texas. I think we have the ability and coaching to beat this team. any thoughts ?

They’re upset? How about me? I wanted ND in their prime. Instead we get watered down, washed up ND clinging to their past. It won’t be like beating 1940’s ND. Oh well. Have to play them now.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I went to the ND boards and they seem pretty upset they have to play us. I know we aren't what they hoped for, but I would hope they would take the time to watch some of our reruns vs teams like Oklahoma,Baylor and Texas. I think we have the ability and coaching to beat this team. any thoughts ?
We can win or we can lose but I don't care what their opinion is, at all.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't give a **** what their fans think.

I just want to see a good game with ISU looking prepared for 4 quarters, and having a chance late at minimum.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA

Why don't we wait to find out before deciding this based on "the eye test." LSU curb stomped Georgia so I'm not sure it will prove much about conferences if it happens.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Unfortunately for us the coaches and players don’t think this way though. I think we win but it won’t be a cake walk

Taz4President

Oct 3, 2013
Austin TX
I think they'll really be upset after the Cyclones hand them their ass. This matchup is starting to look an awful lot like only one team really wants to play the game and the other would rather stay home. Dangerous spot for Notre Dame.
If you’re playing at this level, you’re talented and love the game and you want to win so I have a hard time believing a well coached team wouldn’t care about playing to win and just not give a crap after a season of working your ass off. I do think the team (ND) could have the attitude that they’re better and assume a win and play for themselves assuming they can have fun kicking their opponent’s ass like it’s a given and will just happen. If Iowa State plays as a team with discipline, and goes to work, then that could dictate the outcome.

isu83

May 5, 2010
I think we have come a long way these past few years. College Game Day really liked being in Ames and loved our loyal fans. we have played some pretty good teams and beat them, I was hoping for a little more respect.
IMO they’ll respect us more after the game is over.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I think we have come a long way these past few years. College Game Day really liked being in Ames and loved our loyal fans. we have played some pretty good teams and beat them, I was hoping for a little more respect.

If you want "more respect"...then I suggest we er ISU football start beating the TOE ...like 15 years in a row. I dont think that the natl media will ever see ISU as a viable power five "power team" unless we start beating teams Like KSU..Baylor...and of course OU and Texas on a regular basis.....Go Cyclones BEAT the bluest of the bluebloods Notre Dame...

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Unfortunately for us the coaches and players don’t think this way though. I think we win but it won’t be a cake walk
We don't win in cake walks. Anyone who thinks we will is on drugs. Anything can happen but to predict it is insane. We barely beat KU at home.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If you want "more respect"...then I suggest we er ISU football start beating the TOE ...like 15 years in a row. I dont think that the natl media will ever see ISU as a viable power five "power team" unless we start beating teams Like KSU..Baylor...and of course OU and Texas on a regular basis.....Go Cyclones BEAT the bluest of the bluebloods Notre Dame...
Fairly true. We didn't beat anybody this year. Beating UND would be a nice feather and momentum.