Bowl Disney Planning

TrueAndValiant

Sep 7, 2009
First off, I’m a little ticked that I booked my January Disney trip 11 months ago. But let me share some tips as we all try to do parks planning along with the game. My best 2 tips:

1)Take a look at renting Disney Timeshares. Particularly for larger groups, could be significantly cheaper than even getting a normal hotel room.

2)Check out touringplans.com - they’re the KenPom of theme parks. This is the busiest time of year for Disney, and we’ll need all the help we can get.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
2)Check out touringplans.com - they’re the KenPom of theme parks. This is the busiest time of year for Disney, and we’ll need all the help we can get.

We used touringplans.com when we went a few years ago, and their app. Best way to balance waiting in line, walking, and doing everything that you want to. Too late to get the top Fast Pass bookings, but easily worth the cost of their book/subscription!

Reactions: TrueAndValiant

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
For folks who have never been to Disney World and planning to go to the Disney parks, just know this is literally the busiest time of the year there. Get to the parks early because they can and will close the parks to new guests in phases as they reach capacity (giving priority to onsite resort guests, then closing the parks altogether to new guests).

Utilize fast pass for rides, its available to ALL park guests which allows you to wait in a shorter line up to 3 times a day (unless you get more as a resort guest). You pre-select rides up to 30 days ahead of time as long as you purchase your admission ahead of time. If you are staying at a Disney owned resort, stop and see the concierge. Explain it is your first trip and ask if you could get some extra fast passes. I have never heard of first timers getting turned down.

We are Disney veterans and have gone during pretty much every time of the year. We love Disney World and the Cyclones so it pains us we cannot go to the game. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions about Disney World.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and wxman1

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
How much is a fast pass?

How much is the “go to the front of line” pass for every ride?
It's free for all guests. Once you buy your tickets online you should be able to go ahead and make fast pass picks. Remember you only get 3 per day and most of the most popular rides you can only get one fast pass per day.

Reactions: TrueAndValiant

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It's free for all guests. Once you buy your tickets online you should be able to go ahead and make fast pass picks. Remember you only get 3 per day and most of the most popular rides you can only get one fast pass per day.

Little tip: Use all those fast passes every day early. Once you use all three, you get unlimited fast passes the rest of the day. Constantly be refreshing the Disney App, and you'll see openings all day for some of the most popular rides.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
We are Disney World annual passholders, and annual visitors during the end of December. (Just establishing my bona fides upload_2019-12-10_13-20-20.png ). Here's my short list of advice.

1. Know right now you will not see it all. Trying to see it all is the fastest way to ruin the trip for everyone. If your spouse thinks they can plan it so your kids see it all, they are wrong. Start managing their expectations today. This is doubly or triply true for the week between Christmas and New Years. Using touringplans.com is excellent advice. But just assume that every park on every day in and around the game day will be close to a 10 out of 10 on the crowd level.

2. Arrive early. Do whatever you can to arrive early. Remember if you are driving and parking that you could have to park 1/4 mile from the tram, then wait for a tram, then ride the tram to the front of the gate. At the gate you have to get through security. (If you are going to the magic kingdom you actually get off the tram and then go through security and then ride the ferry or monorail). If you don't have a bag use the No Bag line at security. if you have a group send a couple people through the bag line with all the bags (unzip every zipper before getting to the security guard), and then have everyone else use the no bag line and meet at the souvenir stand on the other side of security. Try to do all that and then be standing at the front gate 30 minutes before the published park opening time. They will start letting people in 15 - 30 minutes before the published opening time. Getting there at this time accomplishes two things. It allows you to get the popular ride without a fast pass (which you probably won’t have) and have a hope of not waiting all day in line. Last time we did that for Flight of Passage we only waited 45 minutes, for something that will be easily a 120-160 minute wait by mid-afternoon. Second, between 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. you can accomplish more than you can at any other time of the day. The vast majority of people arrive between 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in my experience. On those days, the parks can be incredibly packed.

3. Using Fast Passes is great advice except you won't get any out of the shoot trying to make those arrangements today. To get good Fast Passes for that week requires staying on Disney property and being online at 6 a.m. central time 60 days in advance of your arrival, and then you might get lucky and have some of the really hard ones if you are arriving by say the 19th. Don't give up. Get the app and constantly refresh especially if you have a small group and you can get lucky and pick them up sometimes as late as the day of, although that's harder to do for this time of year. We arrive the 18th this year staying through the 26th. I was online at 6 a.m 60 days out and I was barely able to get Flight of Passage and some of the others. If you are constantly refreshing I highly recommend that you pick one adult and one kid to try to get the popular ones at the last minute. Maybe 3 people at the most. If you are trying to find last minute FP for the popular rides for 4 or more people it won’t happen at the holidays.

4. At security and the front gate and quick service restaurants there are two lines at every station. One on each side of the security guard, the card reader or the cashier. If there’s a line a mile long on the left side but no line on the right, walk right up to the right side, and skip past everyone. It isn’t just allowed it’s encouraged.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
First off, I’m a little ticked that I booked my January Disney trip 11 months ago. But let me share some tips as we all try to do parks planning along with the game. My best 2 tips:

1)Take a look at renting Disney Timeshares. Particularly for larger groups, could be significantly cheaper than even getting a normal hotel room.

While normally a solid tip, all of the timeshare (Disney Vacation Club) hotels are booked solid for Christmas through New Years. I logged into my account yesterday to check availability and not one room was available.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Little tip: Use all those fast passes every day early. Once you use all three, you get unlimited fast passes the rest of the day. Constantly be refreshing the Disney App, and you'll see openings all day for some of the most popular rides.

Actually, I prefer to make Fast Passes for early afternoon as that is when the crowds are at peak levels. We get to the park early in the morning and hit rides early when crowds aren't as heavy. We then use FP for the 1pm-4pm slot OR we will go back to the resort and then use FP for the early evening. Most of the FP reservations after your initial three are rides that normally don't have long waits anyway.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Actually, I prefer to make Fast Passes for early afternoon as that is when the crowds are at peak levels. We get to the park early in the morning and hit rides early when crowds aren't as heavy. We then use FP for the 1pm-4pm slot OR we will go back to the resort and then use FP for the early evening. Most of the FP reservations after your initial three are rides that normally don't have long waits anyway.

This is solid advice.
Yea, is this Disney or the Hunger Games?
During Christmas at Disney World sometimes there's no difference.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
We went down there over Christmas/New Years in about 2001 or so. Best thing that happened: it was 45 degrees and rained most of the time, so nobody showed up. Except us. Definitely a way to maximize the number of things you see. And be miserable.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We went down there over Christmas/New Years in about 2001 or so. Best thing that happened: it was 45 degrees and rained most of the time, so nobody showed up. Except us. Definitely a way to maximize the number of things you see. And be miserable.

I used to get so pumped when I was a kid and we were going to Oceans of Fun and it was cloudy and rainy.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Don't take babies or toddlers. Strollers suck and they won't remember anything anyway.

Get fast passes/Magic Bands Don't waste them on short regular lines. Take your own water and snacks in the park (they let you take bags in). The It's a Small World ride is kind of creepy. The Animal Kingdom safari ride is lame.

Best rides IMO

Soaring
Rock n Rollercoaster
Splash Mountain
Everest

Star Wars wasn't open yet when we were there.

Say goodbye to your money.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My wife and I have been to all those parks along with Cedar Point, Kings Island, and a few of the other amusement parks on the East Coast.

The fast passes are always worth it. Twice the price for five times the rides.

I am paying to enjoy myself, not stand in line.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney and wxman1

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

more power to you. I rode every ride at Disney with this method though.....so there is that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron