Football Season Postmortem

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I don’t think he’s been perfect by any means. He gets way to cute and sometimes can’t get out of his own way. That said it was indisputably the best offense in school history.

People have no idea what a good offense looks like. We had a good offense. Yes there is absolutely room for improvement. That improvement is going to come with players having more experience and a hopefully more talented line. My understanding is the underclass men are better but have been held back by inexperience.

I’m optimistic that we will be even better next year.
I’d agree with a lot of points here. I’d honestly like to see Campbell have more of an input into the play calling, because some of the falling was just mind boggling. Like throwing a 1 yard cross route on 3rd and long expecting something to come from it, or running it up the gut today with 2:30 left, down two scores.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
This was talked about including a earlier article, but it has been disappointing to me that it seems like the team isn’t having fun playing at all.

If you looked at KSU they were dancing on the sideline and played with energy. Just wanted to play more it seems.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Purdy's slide makes me question the mindset of this team. That was 'dissapointing' to say the leas .

That was a 'microcosm of the season' play.

3rd and longs on D, 3rd/4th and short on O, just need to catch a punt, etc. Do everything except close out the situation.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I guess I'm not sure how to call this season. On one hand, a few years ago we would all take an uneventful 7-5 where we are in every game. It does, on some level, show how far we have come. Campbell has done a great job changing the culture and improving the talent here.

On the other hand, I think you have to consider the current status of the Big 12. This is not the Paul Rhodes Big 12. Tech and Kansas are rebuilds. Texas, Oklahoma State and TCU aren't what they used to be. Baylor has overachieved but is beatable. Same with Kansas State. Oklahoma is good, but not untouchable. This conference just isn't the juggernaut it once was--it is completely there for the taking. And this year, with what we had returning, it just felt like things were lining up for us to make a real run. Probably the best QB we've had in program history, an experienced O-line, an experienced D-line and linebacking corps, with talent leaving but talent to be excited about at the remaining positions. It was all there.

I think what I'm most disappointed with is just not playing up to your talent. It just seemed like every game, including wins, left you wanting more. Squeaking out victories against UNI and Kansas. Blowing the lead against Texas. Laying an egg in important spots against Iowa and Oklahoma State. Failing to finish against Baylor and Oklahoma. It just feels like a team that's underachieved.

So I guess I have a hard time viewing it as anything more than a step backwards and I think next year's gut check time. We certainly have holes to fill but we have a lot returning as well in a conference that should be pretty average again. Are we cool with 7-5 or 8-4 or is the goal something more? Guess we will find out.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Honest question here. What is wrong with our offensive line? How do we still have so many instances of our RB’s getting hit immediately after getting the ball and completely unblocked pass rushers? I watch a decent amount of college football and I don’t see this level of inconsistency elsewhere. Does anybody else? Is it a talent issue or coaching issue or both?
I mean, we had David ******* Montgomery and we still didn’t have an efficient run game last year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ultimately the team set the standard for itself. Did it "#Proveit"? Nope. No it didn't.

Are we still in the best position as a program we have been in decades? Sure. But we didn't take that next step this year. As Jamie said in his discussion with donors this year, 40 years ago we arrived at an intersection and we made a wrong turn instead of proceeding through to further success. Time will tell if this was a wrong turn but at very least this year is stopping at that intersection without proceeding.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Honest question here. What is wrong with our offensive line? How do we still have so many instances of our RB’s getting hit immediately after getting the ball and completely unblocked pass rushers? I watch a decent amount of college football and I don’t see this level of inconsistency elsewhere. Does anybody else? Is it a talent issue or coaching issue or both?
I mean, we had David ******* Montgomery and we still didn’t have an efficient run game last year.
The issue is they are bad.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Ultimately the team set the standard for itself. Did it "#Proveit"? Nope. No it didn't.

Are we still in the best position as a program we have been in decades? Sure. But we didn't take that next step this year. As Jamie said in his discussion with donors this year, 40 years ago we arrived at an intersection and we made a wrong turn instead of proceeding through to further success. Time will tell if this was a wrong turn but at very least this year is stopping at that intersection without proceeding.
Depends on your definition of prove it. We underachieved what this team could have done but we proved we are now a contender for the Big 12 if stuff goes our way. Everything went against us this year and we are still 7-5.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
For certain our special teams are a gigantic reason that we couldn't pull away during wins and keep games way closer than other teams.

It's both execution and coaching decisions.

Kansas, despite
I guess I'm not sure how to call this season. On one hand, a few years ago we would all take an uneventful 7-5 where we are in every game. It does, on some level, show how far we have come. Campbell has done a great job changing the culture and improving the talent here.

On the other hand, I think you have to consider the current status of the Big 12. This is not the Paul Rhodes Big 12. Tech and Kansas are rebuilds. Texas, Oklahoma State and TCU aren't what they used to be. Baylor has overachieved but is beatable. Same with Kansas State. Oklahoma is good, but not untouchable. This conference just isn't the juggernaut it once was--it is completely there for the taking. And this year, with what we had returning, it just felt like things were lining up for us to make a real run. Probably the best QB we've had in program history, an experienced O-line, an experienced D-line and linebacking corps, with talent leaving but talent to be excited about at the remaining positions. It was all there.

I think what I'm most disappointed with is just not playing up to your talent. It just seemed like every game, including wins, left you wanting more. Squeaking out victories against UNI and Kansas. Blowing the lead against Texas. Laying an egg in important spots against Iowa and Oklahoma State. Failing to finish against Baylor and Oklahoma. It just feels like a team that's underachieved.

So I guess I have a hard time viewing it as anything more than a step backwards and I think next year's gut check time. We certainly have holes to fill but we have a lot returning as well in a conference that should be pretty average again. Are we cool with 7-5 or 8-4 or is the goal something more? Guess we will find out.

That's the thing thought-- the close losses are confirmation bias for thinking we underachieved, but if you look at every game and how close our wine were vs bad teams, I'd say we almost overachieved.

I just don't think it was ever in the cards for us with bad special teams and below average o line.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: FBFAN and nickoff

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We had the best offense in school history. Shut the **** up.
Statistically. But a lot of those statistics didn't mean **** where it mattered most. How many of those stats were empty stats where we sputtered out after crossing the 50?

Not saying firing is the answer. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. And that's what CMC is paid the big bucks to decide.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
God, this place is going to be a real hell hole for the next several months.

it was somewhat of a disappointing season. But a season that is 7-5 and disappointing is a sign of how far we've come.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
One other thing that has just been a little off more me this year is Campbell's tone after the game. I just don't get the sense there is much urgency there. It just seems like after every game it's how much he loves this group and how they keep fighting, which is all great. Those are good things. But at some point it just seems there needs to be the kick in the *** of we are much better than what we are playing and it's time to play to our ability.

I struggle to get too fired up about never giving up and fighting through the adversity when the adversity seems self-inflicted.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Depends on your definition of prove it. We underachieved what this team could have done but we proved we are now a contender for the Big 12 if stuff goes our way. Everything went against us this year and we are still 7-5.

That's fair. That's definitely part of us being at the best place as a program in decades.

Next year we have to take that next step though or I worry a plateau in momentum could hurt the program.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013