Volleyball RPI thru 11/24

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ISU currently at #38. Next match is against #26 OU on Friday night in Ames. Arguably, the biggest match of the season so far in terms of NCAA tourney implications and the quest to finish 3rd behind UT and BU:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-volleyball-rpi

Did not watch the KSU sweep on Saturday but noticed in the box score that Anderson played the 2nd DS. That now makes 2 former OHs playing back row spots only with Schuler being the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cypwr

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Last night's win against OU was quite big. ISU jumped into a tie for third in league standings with the Sooners. I think that may have been the match that solidified getting their ticket punched for the NCAAs, *IF* they don't drop either of the next two (road matches at Yosemite Sam State and Kansas) before facing Texas here on senior night. Quality wins have been somewhat lacking this season, aside from a 3-1 win over (likely) MVC champ UNI and now OU. 2-1 of the final three puts ISU at 10-6 in the Big 12 with 19 wins overall with a decent RPI.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SMP05 and StClone

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Wed
Last night's win against OU was quite big. ISU jumped into a tie for third in league standings with the Sooners. I think that may have been the match that solidified getting their ticket punched for the NCAAs, *IF* they don't drop either of the next two (road matches at Yosemite Sam State and Kansas) before facing Texas here on senior night. Quality wins have been somewhat lacking this season, aside from a 3-1 win over (likely) MVC champ UNI and now OU. 2-1 of the final three puts ISU at 10-8 in the Big 12 with 19 wins overall with a decent RPI.
We'd be 10-6 in conference if we finish 2-1. Oklahoma St. doesn't have a volleyball team.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Holthaus is so versatile and smart, last night her placement and off-speed shots picked apart OU. I do not know where Eleanor's power comes from: her swing seems slow but bang it zips to an open spot on the opponent's side. We are so lucky to have her. Smart, she's in Chem E.

Team
Big 12 Records/Standings
Texas 12-0
Baylor 11-1
Iowa State 8-5
Oklahoma 8-5
Texas Tech 4-8
TCU 4-8
Kansas State 3-9
Kansas 3-9
West Virginia 2-10

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
ISU beats OU tonight 3-1. Biggest win of the season so far. Holthaus, Rhodes and Mauck all have great matches.

Yeah, this was a BIG deal for NCAA. No real "bad" resume killer losses but we had no real big resume builders either until this. Prior to this even taking a set from the teams ranked above us was rare let along winning a match. Just fattening up on the bottom half of the league (which is weak) would kinda leave us on the bubble but this should move us off of that unless we stumble badly in the last three. Don't expect that though, they are playing better. :)

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Yeah, this was a BIG deal for NCAA. No real "bad" resume killer losses but we had no real big resume builders either until this. Prior to this even taking a set from the teams ranked above us was rare let along winning a match. Just fattening up on the bottom half of the league (which is weak) would kinda leave us on the bubble but this should move us off of that unless we stumble badly in the last three. Don't expect that though, they are playing better. :)
We are slowly, maybe, getting better, but dang hitting under 200 (actually 190's) vs OU is not going to go real far in the NCAAs. Big 12 season hitting average is around 250 though, good, but need to get that a little higher.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Last night's win against OU was quite big. ISU jumped into a tie for third in league standings with the Sooners. I think that may have been the match that solidified getting their ticket punched for the NCAAs, *IF* they don't drop either of the next two (road matches at Yosemite Sam State and Kansas) before facing Texas here on senior night. Quality wins have been somewhat lacking this season, aside from a 3-1 win over (likely) MVC champ UNI and now OU. 2-1 of the final three puts ISU at 10-6 in the Big 12 with 19 wins overall with a decent RPI.
There is also a win against South Dakota which helps a little

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I still think we sneak in to the tourney with a W @ KU, but frustrating year for sure.
If you're not hosting in the NCAA's, it's tough. We'll likely be sent to a Big Ten team's home court, and get spanked.
So important to get seeded, or at least sent to a site of a team seeded out of the top 10 or 12.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I still think we sneak in to the tourney with a W @ KU, but frustrating year for sure.
In Lubbock the only question was were we an Armadillo or a Jackrabbit...
images

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
If you're not hosting in the NCAA's, it's tough. We'll likely be sent to a Big Ten team's home court, and get spanked.
So important to get seeded, or at least sent to a site of a team seeded out of the top 10 or 12.
I don't think much of our chances once in the NCAA. But, I think we squeak in at a spot. We are too erratic, inconsistent, and at times lax, to be counted on to do much against the "real" Tourney teams. Hey too early to look at next year?...for 2020 only Josie is lost!

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I was thinking that if they won the rest (including at TT) with the exception of UT, they might avoid being sent to Minny, Madison, Lincoln or Milwaukee the first weekend. But that is perhaps now out the door and they may be sweating it out on Selection Day. They now likely have to win in Lawrence next week to be considered.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
There is still a chance for ISU get get in to the NCAAs, but there are very few reasons for the committee to take a serious look. Two losses to an honestly less than average team in Tech and only two real decent wins all season. That's not much of a resume'. The bubble will have to be quite weak for this year's squad. I think a loss to Kansas ends any realistic hope of getting in.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron