POLL: Where does Foster commit to tomorrow?

Where does Foster commit to tomorrow?

• Iowa State

Votes: 221 42.5%
  • Iowa

Votes: 299 57.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Fran is my Iowa basketball coach hero.

5 man class with only one with P6 offers? Sucks if we don't land Foster, but I want Fran to keep his job. I'd take Foster over keeping Fran at Iowa though.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Fran is actually brilliant if you think about it. Why does he heavily recruit our state and dole out scholarships to "walk-on" legacies (ie former players' relatives or lifelong Hok fans)? He is playing to the fan base - they really can't get upset with him in "down" years or when he makes a total buffoon out of himself (almost daily). He is giving these guys a free ride to their beloved U, and allowing these sons to be a member of a Hok sports team. The fan base gets to live vicariously through their Iowa boys.

I don't know of one Hokfan at my work who actually "likes" Fran as a coach - they tolerate him, at best. BUT, they do love their hometown heroes.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted Foster, and will be disappointed tomorrow. But, let's not kid ourselves: while the news will sting a bit, our staff & fan base will move on pretty quickly from this. For TOE and its fans?... this would be considered a recruiting F-A-I-L of epic proportions if Fran did NOT land XF.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Fran is actually brilliant if you think about it. Why does he heavily recruit our state and dole out scholarships to "walk-on" legacies (ie former players' relatives or lifelong Hok fans)? He is playing to the fan base - they really can't get upset with him in "down" years or when he makes a total buffoon out of himself (almost daily). He is giving these guys a free ride to their beloved U, and allowing these sons to be a member of a Hok sports team. The fan base gets to live vicariously through their Iowa boys.

I don't know of one Hokfan at my work who actually "likes" Fran as a coach - they tolerate him, at best. BUT, they do love their hometown heroes.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted Foster, and will be disappointed tomorrow. But, let's not kid ourselves: while the news will sting a bit, our staff & fan base will move on pretty quickly from this. For TOE and its fans?... this would be considered a recruiting F-A-I-L of epic proportions if Fran did NOT land XF.

actually what it will do is give all the ones that are tired of Fran new optimism.

there is a reason iowa State is their super bowl, especially at basketball.

they took a recruit we wanted enough to put up with the external noise.

they’re going to feast on that for a while.

Well that, and cj dominating naia and bottom tier d 1 programs.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx

Honestly, Im guessing a lot ia fans are going to think they landed an 4 star offensive linemen and be pretty bummed when this means Frans going to be around even longer.

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the other way on this. It would be pretty disrespectful to go to the Iowa game if you were not planning on going there.

Not unheard of. Sort of like pulling a "Harrison Barnes!"

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought we had an advantage because he was dating an Iowa State cheerleader, but I learned yesterday from a reliable source that they are no longer dating. :(

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I thought we had an advantage because he was dating an Iowa State cheerleader, but I learned yesterday from a reliable source that they are no longer dating. :(

and the rest of us learned that like two weeks ago lol. People are having a hard time keeping up with this.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
and the rest of us learned that like two weeks ago lol. People are having a hard time keeping up with this.

Didn't say it was breaking news. Merely explaining my vote. And yes, some of us have a hard time keeping up with things. In the absence of a summary of actual occasional relevant content in the megathread, I thought it belonged in a thread taking a poll of what we thought he was going to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Go2Guy

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Fran is my Iowa basketball coach hero.

5 man class with only one with P6 offers? Sucks if we don't land Foster, but I want Fran to keep his job. I'd take Foster over keeping Fran at Iowa though.

This is the part that’s most amazing. Even with foster, this is a bottom 3-4 class in their league.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
She dumped his ass when she found out he was going to Iowa. Smart lady!

Edit-They are getting back together because he picked ISU-Anonymous Source

Last edited:

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I think instate recruiting is always going to be hard because ISU has just not done very much of it in recent years. Can't remember Fred signing anyone from Iowa, and Jacobsen is the only Iowa scholarship guy I can think of in recent years. good of Prohm to at least try.

We will see what happens. Fran might be gone after this year, one more big blowup or another train wreck season and Barta might be under pressure to do something.

I agree with everything mentioned.
As a 'Clone for 44-years, I can only remember landing: Chuck Harrmison and Fred (both Ames High grads), other than that (I don't consider Haluska elite), our track record of landing top Iowa talent is abysmal - even Kansas an UNC tops us.

How can we claim to be the premier MBB program in the state if we lose every top Iowa HS recruit we've offered in the last 25+ years ??

PS: I also agree that Fran could be fired in the next year, or two, if they fail to make the Dance AND his two kids are getting major minutes.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree with everything mentioned.
As a 'Clone for 44-years, I can only remember landing: Chuck Harrmison and Fred (both Ames High grads), other than that (I don't consider Haluska elite), our track record of landing top Iowa talent is abysmal - even Kansas an UNC tops us.

How can we claim to be the premier MBB program in the state if we lose every top Iowa HS recruit we've offered in the last 25+ years ??

PS: I also agree that Fran could be fired in the next year, or two, if they fail to make the Dance AND his two kids are getting major minutes.
We're currently the premier program in the state because we have the accolades to prove it. Iowa hasn't made a Sweet 16 since 1999. The fact of the matter is that the state of Iowa does not get a ton of Division 1 talent that can play at the P5 level. Of those kids that can in recent years, they've been Hawk fans growing up and that's a hard recruiting pitch for an Iowa State coach to make.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
We're currently the premier program in the state because we have the accolades to prove it. Iowa hasn't made a Sweet 16 since 1999. The fact of the matter is that the state of Iowa does not get a ton of Division 1 talent that can play at the P5 level. Of those kids that can in recent years, they've been Hawk fans growing up and that's a hard recruiting pitch for an Iowa State coach to make.

I get it, but 'growing up Hawkeye" has been going on for 30-yrs, we have lost most of the D1 talent, and the D1 elite talent we've offered. when is the worm gonna turn our way ?- I'm frustrated; that and the fact Fran doesn't have a losing record against us despite his *inferior talent*

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I get it, but 'growing up Hawkeye" has been going on for 30-yrs, we have lost most of the D1 talent, and the D1 elite talent we've offered. when is the worm gonna turn our way ?- I'm frustrated; that and the fact Fran doesn't have a losing record against us despite his *inferior talent*
Actually Fran is 3-6 against Iowa State in his career.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

What is Frans record vs ISU?