MBB 2019: Your seats vs Donation Level Given

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Someone else could probably offer more specific details, but it’s my understanding that if you don’t have parquet seats already, it will take a lot more than $5k to get them.
And only then with reseating

CyAg

May 22, 2006
So, in the end, the re-indexing will shake itself out and all will be to debate actual new levels, benefits, pros and cons. I re-read both the letter this afternoon and the threads on this topic. After reviewing a few possibilities and thoughts.

-In addition to "allowing donors time to plan" I am thinking part of the reason for the letter was also to gauge feedback, support and push-back. Basically doing more research on refinements.

-While the letter is pretty clear on the need to target at a 25% increase, I think it could more than just raising levels on the current ranges.

-I could see a level higher than current Directors , a level in between the current levels of Victory and Directors (right now this is a pretty big spread).

-I could also see splitting donations for MBB and FB, changing the number of seats you get at each level (in Parquet, etc...).

-Some levels may go up by a higher percentage than others, but with anything else it is a factor of percentage ot numbers vs level. For example, just as a revenue exercise, using 2019 ISU Cyclone Club membership/level, multiplied by the minimum requirement for the level the revenue percentage generated per level is as follows:
Revenue/Level Revenue %/level Membership %
Directors Level: 318 @$12,500 $3,975,000 34% 5%
Victory: 686 @$5,000 $3,430,000 30% 11%
Captains: 624 @$2,500 $1,560,000 13.5% 10%
Gold: 1618 @$1,000 $1,618,000 14% 26.5%
Cardinal: 1,379 @500 $689,500 6% 22.5
States: 865 @$250 $216,250 2% 14%
Century: 570 @ $100 $57,000 .5% 11%

Totals $11,545,750 100% 6,160
Notes: The %'s are rounded to the nearest .5%. As these calculations are based on the miumum donation amount/level and there is anecdotal evidence donors often contribute above the base level for a better priority level, it is very possible the higher levels contribute an higher percentage total than off the minimums.

With the above as the base, any professional fundraiser would do a review of benefits/value, model changes at each level and model projected changes on changing benefits/level and levels themselves.

Right now I do not see "re-seating" , imho I see "re-indexing". I say this because of how I believe the AD feels on this, the letter, sent and historical record on this. However, as of now, as this poll lists there are many below their seat level. So, it is probably past time to to re-seat or re-index, Also after whatever is done, it will be better, but will go out of margins over time.

I have been on both sides of this equation and have my personal opinions but have tried not put my bias into this post. When all is announced, we like many others will have to make decisions on what to do and at what level. Time will tell.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUalways

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Captains level donor but with seats in the top row of a Gold section by choice. I don't want to give up the "luxury box" just to move a few rows. If I cannot get in the front half of balcony sidelines and front third of balcony baseline extended, then I'll just stay where I am. We have a ledge behind us for coats and snacks. Stand up whenever you want without bothering anyone. Easy to spot on stadium panoramic shots.

Crazy how hard it is to get decent seats. I know a few folks with relatives who are old farts with really good seats. I tell them if they ever decide not to renew, I will make it very worthwhile for them to "give" them to me.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
For those that are sitting below your donation level. If there is no reseating this time will you keep donating at your current level or drop down to the level of your seats?

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Gold level sitting in non-donor section. We get 4 seats so price factors into where we buy. My company has never matched "athletic" donations.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
For those that are sitting below your donation level. If there is no reseating this time will you keep donating at your current level or drop down to the level of your seats?

Our donation level is mostly for football, particularly football parking (tailgating), so it really isn't related to our basketball seats.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Anyone have insight as to how much the professional scalpers are impacting seats? There are some crazy numbers out there as to how many seats they get year in and year out, and I was curious how they've obtained the right to purchase so many.

I've heard that one scalper had nearly triple digits in seats that they've held onto over the years. Is that true, or just a rumor?

ISUalways

Jul 16, 2014
State of Iowa
So, in the end, the re-indexing will shake itself out and all will be to debate actual new levels, benefits, pros and cons. I re-read both the letter this afternoon and the threads on this topic. After reviewing a few possibilities and thoughts.

-In addition to "allowing donors time to plan" I am thinking part of the reason for the letter was also to gauge feedback, support and push-back. Basically doing more research on refinements.

-While the letter is pretty clear on the need to target at a 25% increase, I think it could more than just raising levels on the current ranges.

-I could see a level higher than current Directors , a level in between the current levels of Victory and Directors (right now this is a pretty big spread).

-I could also see splitting donations for MBB and FB, changing the number of seats you get at each level (in Parquet, etc...).

-Some levels may go up by a higher percentage than others, but with anything else it is a factor of percentage ot numbers vs level. For example, just as a revenue exercise, using 2019 ISU Cyclone Club membership/level, multiplied by the minimum requirement for the level the revenue percentage generated per level is as follows:
Revenue/Level Revenue %/level Membership %
Directors Level: 318 @$12,500 $3,975,000 34% 5%
Victory: 686 @$5,000 $3,430,000 30% 11%
Captains: 624 @$2,500 $1,560,000 13.5% 10%
Gold: 1618 @$1,000 $1,618,000 14% 26.5%
Cardinal: 1,379 @500 $689,500 6% 22.5
States: 865 @$250 $216,250 2% 14%
Century: 570 @ $100 $57,000 .5% 11%

Totals $11,545,750 100% 6,160
Notes: The %'s are rounded to the nearest .5%. As these calculations are based on the miumum donation amount/level and there is anecdotal evidence donors often contribute above the base level for a better priority level, it is very possible the higher levels contribute an higher percentage total than off the minimums.

With the above as the base, any professional fundraiser would do a review of benefits/value, model changes at each level and model projected changes on changing benefits/level and levels themselves.

Right now I do not see "re-seating" , imho I see "re-indexing". I say this because of how I believe the AD feels on this, the letter, sent and historical record on this. However, as of now, as this poll lists there are many below their seat level. So, it is probably past time to to re-seat or re-index, Also after whatever is done, it will be better, but will go out of margins over time.

I have been on both sides of this equation and have my personal opinions but have tried not put my bias into this post. When all is announced, we like many others will have to make decisions on what to do and at what level. Time will tell.
Very well written post and I agree 100% with your thoughts. The POLL strongly suggest a re-index is coming due to many loyal fans that are sitting below their donation level. In summary, ISU tickets are a HOT item and that's a good thing.
Go Cyclones

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron