Volleyball RPI through 11/3

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Despite recent results, ISU is #28 in the RPI:

ankinhttps://www.ncaa.com/rgs/volleyball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-volleyball-rpi

The team was basically non-competitive in the first two sets at OU on Saturday. Did manage to win the 3rd set by two points and then got blitzed in the 4th set. To not finish 3rd or higher in the conference this season would be disappointing and to miss the NCAAs for the second straight season would be even more disappointing.

Schuler is only player I am aware that may have injury issues impacting her recent PT and performance. Outside of the two MBs, I am guessing all other starting/rotation positions will be up for grabs this week during practice until the next match on Saturday against KSU in Ames. Holthaus' front row spot should remain secure, but the number of REs she has been recently accumulating may end her spot on the back row.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Despite recent results, ISU is #28 in the RPI:

ankinhttps://www.ncaa.com/rgs/volleyball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-volleyball-rpi

The team was basically non-competitive in the first two sets at OU on Saturday. Did manage to win the 3rd set by two points and then got blitzed in the 4th set. To not finish 3rd in the conference this season would be disappointing and to miss the NCAAs for the second straight season would be even more disappointing.

Schuler is only player I am aware that may have injury issues impacting her recent PT and performance. Outside of the two MBs, I am guessing all other starting/rotation positions will be up for grabs this week during practice until the next match on Saturday against KSU in Ames. Holthaus' front row spot should remain secure, but the number of REs she has been recently accumulating may end her spot on the back row.

Our back row play/receive/defense has been rather horrendous.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Would have been nice to have taken set 2 last night vs Baylor.

We have to figure out how to get out of certain rotations where we have been giving up runs. That was the problem last night. Shouldn't give up multiple 3+ point runs.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Pressley and Van Der Mark were impressive- a 6' 0 who jumps 10' 9" she ate everybody up and we could not get our timing of our block down on her back row attack if there even was a way to stop it-

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Interest in VBall seems to be waning. I think attendance is down too. Promise of better things, a run in the NCAA, top 25 recruits, are not even a thought now. CJL can point to winning the "B" league tourney last season with Jess, but I wish there were more than hopes now to get me down to the games.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Interest in VBall seems to be waning. I think attendance is down too. Promise of better things, a run in the NCAA, top 25 recruits, are not even a thought now. CJL can point to winning the "B" league tourney last season with Jess, but I wish there were more than hopes now to get me down to the games.
Simply put, our volleyball facilities are woeful.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I've only watched a few matches this year. :oops:

Fewer than last year which was fewer than the year before.

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Simply put, our volleyball facilities are woeful.

I wouldn't classify the VB facilities as woeful but I think the current state of them is a recruiting liability for CJL and, as posted before, I am hoping that a new VB competition/practice venue somehow ends up being part of the JTS/Hilton project.

With Herbst now being a part-time rotation player, the entire roster essentially returns next season barring transfers. This roster still has a legit shot at the NCAAs and should be better next season. The in-state talent migration is alarming though and needs to be stopped to some extent with improved recruiting and facility upgrades are likely required to do that.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I've only watched a few matches this year. :oops:

Fewer than last year which was fewer than the year before.

yeah I've watched 1-2 games this year. Part of it is just busier life with baby and less time for tv but it's also that we've gone so far downhill. I'm rarely free to watch tv at 7pm on Wednesday night and I'm not inclined to make an effort for it to watch us lose to mediocre/poor teams.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
yeah I've watched 1-2 games this year. Part of it is just busier life with baby and less time for tv but it's also that we've gone so far downhill. I'm rarely free to watch tv at 7pm on Wednesday night and I'm not inclined to make an effort for it to watch us lose to mediocre/poor teams.
Not to be combative at all, but what bad teams have we lost to this year? LSU and Tech aren't great teams but far from poor and the rest of the losses have been against RPI top 30 teams.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Not to be combative at all, but what bad teams have we lost to this year? LSU and Tech aren't great teams but far from poor and the rest of the losses have been against RPI top 30 teams.

I think it actually was the LSU and Tech games - though honestly by Tech I don't think I was watching anymore.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
One of the best recruits for 2022 was told by ISU they had no money for her so she went elsewhere.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Honest question, with the MBB playing at Hilton today, where is the VB practicing today? Somewhere else, or do they have to fit their schedule around MBB?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

If you go by the RPI we don't have many "bad losses" but we don't have any "good wins" either. All of our "best" wins came early: UNI 47, Ole Miss 53, Iowa 84. UNI is likely in the NCAA's (win MVC), Ole Miss and Iowa are not in. Against P5 teams our other wins are 106, 106, 126, 136, 150 and 189. The bottom four in the Big 12 are pretty bad. League has three good teams, two middling teams and four bad ones. Match at Tech might determine who gets 4th.

Come selection time I don't think anyone is going to take much notice that we took Baylor to set point in three sets in two matches versus them since we are are 1-11 in sets against ranked teams. That Baylor match in Ames kinda feels to me like the high tide mark for the season. Had a chance there to show we could do more than just get to set point in an occasional match against ranked teams but could not close the deal.

Sounds kinda negative :oops: but just trying to give it an objective look, it's what happens when I am bored some mornings. :rolleyes:

Only looking at results, I rely on the smarter volleyball guys/gals here to cue me in on the why, like some of the comments regarding getting stuck in rotations on some of the bad points runs and stuff. Helps me understand a little better. Appreciate those attempts at analysis that are above my pay grade for VB! ;)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
One of the best recruits for 2022 was told by ISU they had no money for her so she went elsewhere.
One of the best in state or national recruits or one of the best from Decatur County?

I find it hard to believe that CJL would turn down a top shelf 2022 recruit due to lack of schollie money unless she has some other unknown 2022 kids (in addition to Morgan Brandt) already committed for those available schollies.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoxsterCy

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If you go by the RPI we don't have many "bad losses" but we don't have any "good wins" either. All of our "best" wins came early: UNI 47, Ole Miss 53, Iowa 84. UNI is likely in the NCAA's (win MVC), Ole Miss and Iowa are not in. Against P5 teams our other wins are 106, 106, 126, 136, 150 and 189. The bottom four in the Big 12 are pretty bad. League has three good teams, two middling teams and four bad ones. Match at Tech might determine who gets 4th.

Only looking at results, I rely on the smarter volleyball guys/gals here to cue me in on the why, like some of the comments regarding getting stuck in rotations on some of the bad points runs and stuff. Helps me understand a little better. Appreciate those attempts at analysis that are above my pay grade for VB! ;)

The team needs to beat OU at home and TT in Lubbock to finish 10-6 in B12 play and lock in an AL bid. Also would obviously help to beat UT in Ames but with all their players now healthy, that will be very difficult as I think they are now the team to beat in the NCAAs.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I find it hard to believe that CJL would turn down a top shelf 2022 recruit due to lack of schollie money unless she has some other unknown 2022 kids (in addition to Morgan Brandt) already committed for those available schollies.[/QUOTE]

That may be possible- You can watch her play for Drake and at the state tournament this next week.