NFL: New Bears QB?

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
O line is a sieve but just give me a QB who will actually look Monty's way once in a while when he's wide open flaring out of the backfield. It could bail Mitch out more often than not but he gets happy feet and forces it into triple coverage under pressure.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84 and oldman

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I was actually thinking Mariotta could be an option for them. I'm not sure the Titans have confidence in Tannehill though, either so doubt they'd let Marriotta go.

Yeah, I don't think the QB carousel is done spinning for the Titans. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Vrabel goes back to Mariota if/when Tannehill struggles.

• Agree
Reactions: ZB4CY

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
https://dawindycity.com/2019/10/20/chicago-bears-embarrassed-loss-saints/

From the article:
Somehow, though, the offense was worse. And I don’t want to hear about Trubisky’s injured left shoulder. First, he said after the game that it wasn’t a factor. Second, he misfired on passes that a competent NFL quarterback should be able to complete with his non-throwing hand. He continued to make the same mistakes that have plagued him his whole career — poor footwork, not stepping into throws, not being able to go through his progressions, and missing wide-open receivers.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
O line is a sieve but just give me a QB who will actually look Monty's way once in a while when he's wide open flaring out of the backfield. It could bail Mitch out more often than not but he gets happy feet and forces it into triple coverage under pressure.
Yeah, he gave away several first downs by not tossing a screen pass to DM.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Mitch sucks big time, I would take a bag of beans at QB right now. Seriously though if they could trade for Foles I would take that in a heartbeat. O line sucks but watching the game, Mitch just doesn't hit open receivers. Doesn't help that the Bears are allergic to running the ball lately.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Mitch sucks big time, I would take a bag of beans at QB right now. Seriously though if they could trade for Foles I would take that in a heartbeat. O line sucks but watching the game, Mitch just doesn't hit open receivers. Doesn't help that the Bears are allergic to running the ball lately.

The OL sucks but he isn't helping his cause any. On the rare instances when he actually has time to set up and go through his reads he's just missing open guys or he's hesitating and missing his window.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
100% this. I don't think Mitch is a bad QB (I'm not sure he is great), but I think he would be preforming much better then he currently is if the Bear's O-line could do ANYTHING. The QB is always the easiest to blame, but Mitch made good strides last year behind an O-line that was much better, and has regressed this year because of what is in front of him.

If you've watched Mitch this year, he's been pretty bad. His accuracy has gotten worse and misses A LOT of easy throws.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Sunday's game was one of the worst called offenses that I have ever seen. Trubisky should never be dropping back to pass 56 times. On many of those passes, he was given slow, longer developing routes, and never had the time for the plays to find open receivers. Did he miss open receivers? Absolutely. Did he fail to move through his reads? Yup! But this is the turd the Bears have to work with for now.

But the worst part, and why I cannot place the entire blame on Mitch, is that Nagy only handed the ball off 7 times. SEVEN TIMES!!! Every coach knows that you only hurt yourself by becoming one dimensional, but Nagy panicked and thought he could lean on his QB to pass his way out of the hole that they were in.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
What can Chicago give up that would make a trade worth it? If I'm reading this right, the Bears have two 2nd round picks and then don't have another pick until the 5th round.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Future/Bears.htm

Free Agency would be a more likely option. What the Saints do this offseason is going to be interesting: do they let Teddy hit the market and re-sign Brees, or do they move on from Brees and build their franchise around Bridgewater? Brees, Philip Rivers and Eli Manning are all veteran QBs that I could see take a 1-year deal with a franchise like Chicago, as long as the price was right.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
wonder how high of a draft pick they would give up for Bridgewater once Brees is back? I doubt NO would make that deal as he is probably QB of the future once DB retires, but who knows.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
What can Chicago give up that would make a trade worth it? If I'm reading this right, the Bears have two 2nd round picks and then don't have another pick until the 5th round.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Future/Bears.htm

Free Agency would be a more likely option. What the Saints do this offseason is going to be interesting: do they let Teddy hit the market and re-sign Brees, or do they move on from Brees and build their franchise around Bridgewater? Brees, Philip Rivers and Eli Manning are all veteran QBs that I could see take a 1-year deal with a franchise like Chicago, as long as the price was right.

I'd keep Brees till he was 50 over Bridgewater.

• Agree
Reactions: the2ndgoo

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sunday's game was one of the worst called offenses that I have ever seen. Trubisky should never be dropping back to pass 56 times. On many of those passes, he was given slow, longer developing routes, and never had the time for the plays to find open receivers. Did he miss open receivers? Absolutely. Did he fail to move through his reads? Yup! But this is the turd the Bears have to work with for now.

But the worst part, and why I cannot place the entire blame on Mitch, is that Nagy only handed the ball off 7 times. SEVEN TIMES!!! Every coach knows that you only hurt yourself by becoming one dimensional, but Nagy panicked and thought he could lean on his QB to pass his way out of the hole that they were in.

Agreed. And it wasn't like Nagy bailed on the run game once they got way down or anything either. He just gave up on it. I looked at the play by play. Bears up 10-9 with about a minute gone in the second quarter. Cohen runs for nine yards, and after that the Bears run thirteen straight pass plays and it was nearly five minutes into the second half before they made another rush attempt.

It's a nightmare combination of poor o-line play, poor QB play, and poor playcalling right now.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Cam may as well be 40 with the beating he's taken so far in his career, so the Bears would probably go in that direction.
Only if they can throw a **** ton of cash and a guaranteed like ten year contract at him.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Mahomes wouldn't help them at all right now...he too would be running for his life given the lack of protection. Trubisky needs to have decent protection to see if he truly is a bust...

Mahomes has been doing that at KC as well and it's taken its toll.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

This x 1,000,000. And it seems so OBVIOUS to everyone else but Nagy.

In the Bears 3 wins, they've rushed the ball 29 times (Denver) compared to 27 passes, 24 times (Washington) compared to 31 passes, and 33 rushes (Minnesota) compared to 33 passes.

In the 3 losses here is the rush vs. pass for each: 15 rushes vs 45 passes (Green Bay) and Davis lead the Bears with 5 (!!) carries, 17 rushes vs. 30 passes, and 7 rushes vs 54 passes (NO) with Cohen leading with 3 (!!!) carries.

Insanity.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
This x 1,000,000. And it seems so OBVIOUS to everyone else but Nagy.

In the Bears 3 wins, they've rushed the ball 29 times (Denver) compared to 27 passes, 24 times (Washington) compared to 31 passes, and 33 rushes (Minnesota) compared to 33 passes.

In the 3 losses here is the rush vs. pass for each: 15 rushes vs 45 passes (Green Bay) and Davis lead the Bears with 5 (!!) carries, 17 rushes vs. 30 passes, and 7 rushes vs 54 passes (NO) with Cohen leading with 3 (!!!) carries.

Insanity.

And one of the 7 runs was that dumb ass jet sweep with Miller.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not a Bears fan here but why have they basically abandoned trying to establish any kind of run game? They have 2 talented backs in DM and Cohen and I get their OL sucks but what is keeping them from getting creative and throwing some quick passes out of the backfield or running some kind of misdirection plays to the outside and let those 2 guys try to create something?

Sunday they ran a total of 7 times with Cohen getting 3 carries and DM 2. How can you even get Trubisky some time in the pocket when you basically are passing it over 80% of your plays? Realize that is not the normal splits for the Bears but looking through their box scores seems pretty sporadic how they are using their running backs. If you want to hide your weakness at QB and OL you'd think you'd get creative with using those 2 guys in both the run and pass game more to keep the defense from just blitzing or shadowing your deep threats when they have to respect the short yardage game more.