Year End Vacation Idea's

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I need your thoughts...please.

We are a family of 5 looking for recommendations for a vacation towards the end of the year / early next year. Probably five days...would like to stay in the states. Time frame would be after Christmas through first week of January - one is in college.

Family enjoys warmer climate (we have made several trips to Caribbean in the past), and we are all 18+.

Thank you for any helpful advice.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I need your thoughts...please.

We are a family of 5 looking for recommendations for a vacation towards the end of the year / early next year. Probably five days...would like to stay in the states. Time frame would be after Christmas through first week of January - one is in college.

Family enjoys warmer climate (we have made several trips to Caribbean in the past), and we are all 18+.

Thank you for any helpful advice.

Can never go wrong with San Diego/LaJolla. Hilton Head and Charleston SC also was a lot of fun for my fam over Spring Break. But I don't think you'd be looking at beach weather in either during December/January.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I know you said to stay in the states but we loved Isla Mujeres, just a short ferry from Cancun. What we've found is vacationing in the states in the winter there really is no place warm enough that you can really enjoy the beach. Even FL is 60's-70's which too cold IMO. If beach isn't a priority I like the Phoenix area. Lots of hiking. Pools are heated that time of year. You can day trip to Sedona.

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
Went to Charleston and Hilton Head a couple of weeks ago, thought Charleston was overrated and we loved Hilton Head. That said those wont have great weather that time of year, south Florida is where you are probably going to want to be. Gulf side, Naples, Marco, Siesta Key ..

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
If ISU ends up in the Camping World Bowl, that would be my vote. Tons to do in Orlando (Universal Studios/Disney/Sea World). Beaches can be reached easily in 1-2 hours. Kennedy Space Center is also awesome and only 1 hour away. This bowl game also fits your timeframe.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
If ISU ends up in the Camping World Bowl, that would be my vote. Tons to do in Orlando (Universal Studios/Disney/Sea World). Beaches can be reached easily in 1-2 hours. Kennedy Space Center is also awesome and only 1 hour away. This bowl game also fits your timeframe.
True, Orlando is a good vacation destination only made better by a bowl game crowd. Dont like Disney though.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Does anyone have any advice for finding good deals on flights to Europe out of DSM?

Sometime next spring/early summer.
5-7 days.
No real destination in mind.
Don't want to hire travel agent.

Just skyskanner/kayak/etc?

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Does anyone have any advice for finding good deals on flights to Europe out of DSM?

5-7 days.

Check out Scott's Cheap Flights (free unless you want to pay for more deals). They send emails every couple days when there is a good price on plane tickets from major US airports to international airports. The catch is the prices usually only last for a couple days or even hours so you have to be willing to buy almost immediately. Just the other day there were flights out of almost every major US city to major cities in Europe for $400-$500 round trip.

Google flights is also good for open ended searches where you pick the airport you're leaving from and it shows prices to major cities based on the time frame you've selected.

Also, I don't know if it's still true or not but I use incognito mode when doing any flight searching because it's been shown in the past that airline websites track and raise prices if they see you searching frequently.

Also also, I recently learned that Southwest flights don't show up on any search sites like Kayak so be sure to look at them separately for flights within North America.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

5-7 days.

Just FYI, you don't really "hire" a travel agent. Any more than "hiring" Expedia to do your flights. Not an explicit fee that you're charged.

I'll never travel overseas without using a travel agent. Our flights to Europe were all hosed up. We got on the plane to Chicago, and by the time we'd landed our agent had the new ones waiting for us.

Domestically, I'm typically gonna DIY it, but that's usually a much simpler ordeal.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

5-7 days.

whenever i've gone to europe i drive to MSP. It's a delta hub so lots of flighs from there and usually much cheaper than flying from DSM and having to connect somewhere else.

• Useful
Reactions: Primetime26