RAGBRAI Organizers Split from Register

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
might be a good thing as RAGBRAI has been getting to commercial lately, hopefully this ride will actually get back to the RAGBRAI roots and be about the small towns and charities running stands along the route. the last few rides you could really see all the commercial food trucks cutting in on the smaller organizations.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Dear RAGBRAI Nation-
This is a bittersweet day for me and my team. Today, your RAGBRAI Director for the past 16 years and the entire RAGBRAI staff has resigned.
RAGBRAI’s parent companies (Des Moines Register & Gannett/USA Today) claim “we will uphold First Amendment principles”, but they refused to offer me that same opportunity to openly speak to the RAGBRAI Nation and answer the hundreds of passionate questions asked about the future of RAGBRAI following the Des Moines Register’s handling of the Carson King story.
I have always been totally transparent with the RAGBRAI Nation and have earned their trust since my first day in 2003. In these past few weeks, my efforts to communicate with our loyal riders has been consistently blocked as it did not mesh with the company’s PR narrative to spin the Carson King embarrassment. There are hundreds of questions that have been left unanswered in an attempt to save face for the Register, without regard to how it affects RAGBRAI.
I was informed, “Leadership and our PR professionals are in agreement that we don’t want to issue any more public statements on this matter — it is largely dying down publicly, and they see no advantage to re-igniting it at this point.” And then added, “glad to work with you on talking points for interviews regarding RAGBRAI if the Carson King situation comes up.”
So, after 16 great years of service, I was effectively hushed and offered talking points to deal with a mess that had nothing to do with RAGBRAI!
I can no longer be an effective leader when my principles are compromised by the leadership of Gannett/Des Moines Register. If we balked this time, I couldn’t image any future thoughts of making decisions in the best interest of YOU the riders and the great state of Iowa.
So, the entire RAGBRAI staff resigned today.
I promised my mentor Jim (Greenie) Green that I would maintain this great ride across Iowa. I also made that pledge to the late wagon master Don Benson and 89-year-old co-founder John Karras.
You will see this team that just resigned resurface in the near future. So stay tuned!
Thank you for trusting us with the GREAT RIDE!
Sincerely,

TJ Juskiewicz,
RAGBRAI Director

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I guess the way I read it is that RAGBRAI will still be a thing; there will just be a competing ride that occurs at the exact same time. Looking at the Iowa's ride website it looks like the 2020 route will go through northern Iowa.

http://iowasride.com/route/

edit: this is assuming that the Reg opts to find another RAGBRAI organizer. I suppose they could choose to just drop it if they don't want to compete.

Hawarden, Cherokee, Pocahontas, Fort Dodge, Iowa Falls, Waverly, West Union, Marquette?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Yawn, more "cancel culture", the exact same thing they accused the paper of doing. Lets just all get together and boycott everyone and everything so its even.

Quiting your job isn't in the same category as "cancel culture".

• Agree
Reactions: cyson

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Just spit-balling here, but have to think these folks were looking for a way to start their own ride and are capitalizing on timing, media coverage, etc. Probably way less overhead cost if the ride, registration all goes through them.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Nice job staying on topic, I honestly dont care what they do. The Register sucks but this is the exact same, "take my toys and go home" snowflake culture weve created.
I always like it when you post something like that but its obvious you do care, and while you're at it, you don't stay on topic either.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCrazy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Nice job staying on topic, I honestly dont care what they do. The Register sucks but this is the exact same, "take my toys and go home" snowflake culture weve created.

It is when you quit for that reason.

This is not "cancel culture" at all. If you work for an employer that you don't feel values your opinion or stands for the things you stand for, and you feel you can do a better job elsewhere, then go for it. To me, "cancel culture" is saying that if I don't like something, or if something offends me personally, no one should be able to enjoy it. That's not this at all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron